No more links in new window?

KiteLife

Up until now, all external links opened in a new window...

- Links in posts
- Links from profile (home page)
- Etc.

So links now appear as:

With the latest version of IPB, I'm leaking (losing) visitors like nobody's business... This really sucks for my business model, and I'm at a loss as to why this was changed in the first place.

==

Examples of links that used to have "_blank" in the link (old version) and no longer do:

User's web site link (www.kitelife.com) on their profile page...
http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?/user/1-kitelife/

Links in posts (first post - bluemoonkites.com url)...
http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3348-what-is-your-favorite-dual-line-kite-right-now/

==

Anyone have some insight, or simple suggestions on how to tweak the code?

Please pardon me if my lingo is off, I'm sure you get the idea.

Thanks in advance.

<a href="http://www.skyburner.com/adx.html" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow">http://www.skyburner.com/adx.html</a>

Instead of (for example):

<a href="http://www.skyburner.com/adx.html" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.skyburner.com/adx.html</a>

Proper standards for "today's web" state that you shouldn't dictate to a user how the link opens. The user can already control this themself by ctrl+clicking, right click -> open in new window, middle clicking, and a number of other options. In fact, in XHTML Strict doctype (which we use) there is no "target" attribute for the anchor tag anymore, so the specifications don't even *allow* you to control this.

Our setting resorts to a javascript method that can be added elsewhere if needed. Realistically, though, your members should be left to make this decision on their own imo.

Sat0ri, for IPB support, you need to ask for support question in the IPBoard Peer-toPeer Technical Support forum.

Please see the forum rules that appear at the top to help you :)
IP.Board Feedback Do you need technical support? You can obtain support via the client area, or you can try to obtain peer-to-peer support at IPS Resources. Did you find a bug in IP.Board? If you believe you've found a bug please post it to the bug tracker. Have a suggestion or feedback? Post it here. Thanks!

[quote name='bfarber' date='07 July 2009 - 04:01 PM' timestamp='1246978860' post='1821731']
Proper standards for "today's web" state that you shouldn't dictate to a user how the link opens. The user can already control this themself by ctrl+clicking, right click -> open in new window, middle clicking, and a number of other options. In fact, in XHTML Strict doctype (which we use) there is no "target" attribute for the anchor tag anymore, so the specifications don't even *allow* you to control this.

As a webuser these "today standards" REALLY annoy me Its been usual(on most sites) for the past 5-10 years or so for internal links to open in existing page and external links to open a new page/tab. I personally enjoy clicking on a random link having it open in a new tab reading then clicking the origional tab (no searching through by back history to return to the origional page). i know i can right click etc but thats an extra steep and after getting soooo used to "yesterdays standards" i just cant get used to having to right click :P

If we're going to go with "today's standards" instead of what the site owner wants, why doesn't IPB just offer the option of having both? The way Wikipedia does. The text link opens in the same window, but is followed by a small icon that gives someone the option of opening the link in a new window.

That's really what "today's standard" is, because not every device used to surf the internet has a right mouse button, let alone a middle button. Or, indeed, any buttons at all.

[quote name='Artefaqs Corporation' date='08 July 2009 - 08:47 PM' timestamp='1247082471' post='1822732']
If we're going to go with "today's standards" instead of what the site owner wants, why doesn't IPB just offer the option of having both? The way Wikipedia does. The text link opens in the same window, but is followed by a small icon that gives someone the option of opening the link in a new window.

That's really what "today's standard" is, because not every device used to surf the internet has a right mouse button, let alone a middle button. Or, indeed, any buttons at all.

It does huh.png It's in the Admin CP :)

Although I do like the idea of the little icon next to the link thumbsup.png

[quote name='bfarber' date='07 July 2009 - 06:01 PM' timestamp='1246978860' post='1821731']
Realistically, though, your members should be left to make this decision on their own imo.

and you call this realistic?

Are you from Mars? Hello, Huston calls! here, on Earth, 90% of visitors do not have a clue registering and you call realistic their ability to use and understand all mouse features? let me tell you I am a board owner, I administrate it as well, I know a little bit of what is going on on www and I have no clue either and I wont give a damn about how to open something in a new window and so on... but when I finish something on a page I close that page and make a dumb face when I see I should hit back button. too late.

is that realistic enough for you? not each of us has a master degree in computers, you know?

:( yes, we loose our visitors and is not what they want always...
they can close my window if they are not happy with what they found.
but if they are and they want to turn back sometimes the window is already closed.

[quote name='Nimdock' date='15 July 2009 - 07:33 PM' timestamp='1247675582' post='1826626']
I am still on the fence about this. For me it is not an option to use the ACP feature... I just spent about two weeks rebuilding the posts on my board... I am not going to use another two just to change a setting.

submit a ticket.

as far as I know, rebuilding posts can be fastened with some file run by your host..:)

the ips service knows better about, so you need to submit a ticket to tell you how to rebuild posts faster.

[quote name='vesperala' date='15 July 2009 - 12:09 PM' timestamp='1247674164' post='1826616']

Are you from Mars? Hello, Huston calls! here, on Earth, 90% of visitors do not have a clue registering and you call realistic their ability to use and understand all mouse features? let me tell you I am a board owner, I administrate it as well, I know a little bit of what is going on on www and I have no clue either and I wont give a damn about how to open something in a new window and so on... but when I finish something on a page I close that page and make a dumb face when I see I should hit back button. too late.

is that realistic enough for you? not each of us has a master degree in computers, you know?

:( yes, we loose our visitors and is not what they want always...
but if they are and they want to turn back sometimes the window is already closed.

I don't even know what to say to this....

@Nimdock, there's a tool included in the downloads under the Tools folder that you can use at the commandline to rebuild the posts faster.

[quote name='vesperala' date='16 July 2009 - 05:09 AM' timestamp='1247674164' post='1826616']

sad.gif yes, we loose our visitors and is not what they want always...

Could you be any more condescending and arrogant?

Anyone, I agree with the way IPS has done it. As the reader, it should be my decision whether to open in a new tab or open in the current one. You need to be aware also that if the link doesn't have the ridiculous target attribute, the reader can force it to open in a new window/tab if they want. If it does have it, the reader must open it in a new tab or window - you can't force it to open in the current one!

[quote name='bfarber' date='15 July 2009 - 02:09 PM' timestamp='1247681360' post='1826687']
@Nimdock, there's a tool included in the downloads under the Tools folder that you can use at the commandline to rebuild the posts faster.

Yup... I used it... But get this. For some reason the ACP tools were being more effective for me... Hehehe, I know it doesn't make much sense but it's true. With the ACP I was getting about 100000 to 200000 posts per run... With command line tools I was getting 8000 per run and each run slower than the one before... To the point where a run of 8000 posts would take me more than half an hour. :blink: Then it would just freeze.

I am a VPS user and I just think that my server lacks the power for that kind of stuff. I am just glad I was able to rebuild all of them even if it took me two weeks. :)

[quote name='Mat (Fusion Digital)' date='15 July 2009 - 10:31 PM' timestamp='1247686290' post='1826728']
Could you be any more condescending and arrogant?

of course... but I let them to begin that

:) you wish the option because you are good at computer. but here is not you the VIP, but your guests, members and so on.
maybe they are not as good with computers as you.

my members asked me today to explain them how to find the list with all emoticons.

seems to you this means they know about right/left/middle click ?

please just stop to think of you as a matrix for all humans.

nobody is.

Since we have sites and spend a fair time using the net, we forget other people aren't all familiar with their browser's features. So really either way you're forcing users. I can't stand external links that open in the same window. A user may want to have both windows or tabs open, etc. Unlike news sites, forums generally want members to stay longer to post and interact. Opening external links in the same window doesn't help that.

I think it's foolish to think most (or all) people know that they have a choice or enjoy having to have an extra step when wanting to open a new page.

It's nice that IPS added this feature, but I think it was a mistake to have it enabled as default.

[quote name='Jυra' date='16 July 2009 - 11:43 AM' timestamp='1247697815' post='1826841']
Since we have sites and spend a fair time using the net, we forget other people aren't all familiar with their browser's features. So really either way you're forcing users. I can't stand external links that open in the same window. A user may want to have both windows or tabs open, etc. Unlike news sites, forums generally want members to stay longer to post and interact. Opening external links in the same window doesn't help that.

I think it's foolish to think most (or all) people know that they have a choice or enjoy having to have an extra step when wanting to open a new page.

It's nice that IPS added this feature, but I think it was a mistake to have it enabled as default.

Yes, but there is still the one problem: if you leave the link as the XHTML standard says you must (without trying to open a window), then the viewer can choose to open it in a new window or use the same one - two choices. If you try to force the page to open in a new window (which the standard says you must not) then the viewer has no choice - you cannot include some extra key while clicking the link to force it to use the same one, it will always open a new window - zero choices. How is removing choice from the viewer (and honestly, I don't much care about your business model if it fails because someone dare view a site in the same window - this isn't necessarily directed at the person I reply to by the way) in any way a good thing? Too many sites these days think of their viewers as products that can't think for themselves.

And vesperala? You really don't want to respond in the affirmative to the question "could you be any more condescending and arrogant" - it's not a good thing to be condescending OR arrogant. Besides, teaching someone to middle click is basic. I'm afraid I don't want to say this but: if your members don't know how to right or middle click and don't want to learn, they should go away and make room for more open minded people with a modicum of intellect. I'm not calling them stupid for not knowing something, I'm calling them stupid for refusing to learn. Too many people these days expect everything to be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator, to the detriment of anyone above that. Some people have just never heard of middle ground - it's either dumbed down or nonexistent.

[quote name='Mat (Fusion Digital)' date='16 July 2009 - 10:07 AM' timestamp='1247728039' post='1826973']

And vesperala? You really don't want to respond in the affirmative to the question "could you be any more condescending and arrogant" - it's not a good thing to be condescending OR arrogant. Besides, teaching someone to middle click is basic. I'm afraid I don't want to say this but: if your members don't know how to right or middle click and don't want to learn, they should go away and make room for more open minded people with a modicum of intellect. I'm not calling them stupid for not knowing something, I'm calling them stupid for refusing to learn. Too many people these days expect everything to be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator, to the detriment of anyone above that. Some people have just never heard of middle ground - it's either dumbed down or nonexistent.

as I often say, my English is not good enough for such sensitive way to express.. :) I really have much trouble understanding sometimes and more trouble expressing my own ideas, because I do not know so much English.
if you like I speak romanian and you can use google translator as I do :) then I will tell you you dont really want to say what you say.. :) i am sorry, my native language is not that important :D

about my users, you can say what you want.. :) I do not care if you mean insult me with that, is not me about here, is about people and I am pretty sure your users are not in arithmetically mean better than others

is not my business of they want to learn or not.
is my business just to have them, isnt it? :D

please, do not tell me about the lowest common denominator, is the only think I truly think I understand from your post with no doubt. here is not a real world, but a complex one, and lowest means nothing inside a complex numbers set. important is to be same common denominator for me.. :P

Archived