3.0.0 Beta ?6?

Guest boon79

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beta 4 never worked properly for me, so I wouldn't mind a few more beta releases, to really be sure the quality is as good as possible.

For me too (I have customer user... need to switch...)

Guys, guys, calm down here.

tongue.gif

Beta 5 WILL be released to the public. And pretty soon too. We prefer to install it here first to catch any major issues we didn't spot first locally and give it a few days testing before letting you download it. Additionally, QA will have to go over the "final" beta 5 one more time before it's released. It's coming soon though.

Secondly, no one said there will or won't be a beta 6. We don't know if beta 6 will be next, or RC1, or some other version we could make up before then. It's a placeholder, because we're at a stage where we don't exactly know what the next release will be called. It's irrelevant, however. After beta 5 will be another pre-final release for you to test. That's all that really matters.

@Axel Wers - typically a beta is known to have issues, while an RC (Release Candidate) is a release we *think* should be final, but we're letting everyone test it some more before calling it such.

Good to hear, our forum members looking for that :) (Althouh i have Anime forum i linked them to IPS forums to view the desgain and told them the changes like FACEBOOK connect and all of that and they loved it :P)

Good luck with your progress

P.S.: In beta 5, can we (developers) start to making mods? (i am php developer :D)

They already have one. The problem is what to post. They want to (they have said this before), but they really have nothing to say but "Yes we are working on it still. We are not ignoring you. We thank you for your patience. etc."

Unless you want the truly gritty details of every patch and bug they do.

TODAY:

We fixed xxx bug and xxx bug.

This is what we had before:

blahb ;klfja;sfj

this is what it is now

afhlutpou rbpo

which would be pointless (but possibly entertaining)

If you're really interested, the bug tracker shows what bugs the developers are fixing - you can actually select "fixed" and "beta 5" from the dropdowns to see bugs that have been fixed in beta 5.

To be honest, I really don't understand why you would want a list of things the developers have done in given day - all you'd end up with is something like this: "Well I've just sat down and had a piece of toast, I read this bug report, and as you can see, I marked it as fixed, then I did the same for these bug reports, then I committed the fixes, then I got to this bug report and that's a skin issue so I marked it as such, then I went to get a cup of coffee, then I came back and the QA team said this, so I made that change and ticked it off the list...". It just seems like a waste of time to me.... if someone does have something to share they might tweet about it with the tag #ipb but you'll quickly learn that these too are uninteresting ;)

During development, there were regular blog posts to let you know what was going on, but now, it's just bug fixing, QA testing, documentation writing, etc. It's by no means that we're not doing anything, it's just nothing you'd be interested in reading about :)

In all honesty, I think you all should really give credit to these guys and stop constant everyday badgering on when it is going to be out. As I have seen them state before, no product is ever released bug free. Ever. However, they'd like to make it as bug free as possible. As for the delays between the Beta 4 and then the implementation of Beta 5 on this site, can you even imagine how massive this program is? Imagine being the only guy that has to go through over 4,300 lines of CSS and try to get it down to 2,000. Imagine also while doing that, you work on satisfying the large majority of customers with the icons, a tiny 1 pixel border here or there, adjust this, adjust that, etc. For his patience, and quality work, I feel that Rikki is doing things very well. As for that second skin, I feel that if Rikki took the time to develop that right now, while he is still trying to get this skin perfected, would only delay things further. Let him finish this skin.

Also imagine while you are trying to undertake finalizing this [i]huge[/i] task, if you are one of the developers, a problem comes up with 2.3.6 that a large majority of the customers needed to have fixed. You'd have to go back to old 2.3 code just to fix that, and then get back up to speed with the 3.0 stuff once you've ironed that problem out.

As for everyone worried about that it will now be a Beta 6 just because the Tracker says ?6?, I say wait to see what happens. If you look in the tracker, there is only 5 Confirmed General bugs. 5. That's it. And only 14 Skin issues. Now, I'm sorry if I am sounding optimistic here, but with the massive number of users here on the forum, and that's all that's posted (and they aren't even all Beta 5 bugs), but I think we are on a road to progress here. Now, I know that the general public hasn't had their hands on this, and those numbers can easily change, but those numbers are fewer than the other betas that have been put on these live forums.

Give these guys a week, heck, give them at least ONE DAY without all of the, "Where's RC 1?", "Where's Final", "Where's the 2nd skin you guys said it would ship with?" questions, and see what happens. I'm sure they'd be a lot more productive if they didn't have to keep hearing these questions.

Now, I'll step down off this soap box, and go off to do something else.

Completely agree with you. Very well said.

Archived