3.0.0 Beta ?6?

Guest boon79

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this ever going final?

edit: on the positive side I see even more skin tweaks were done today. The post divider extends all the way down, I "think" the left part where the member info is is thinner now (I still think it should be even thinner), and the quick edit box seems maybe smaller and also fits in differently. I honestly love every one of those changes.

edit 2: Actually it extends all the way down on bfarber's post, but not on mine. So it must only extend down if there is a signature? Would that be considered a bug?

edit 3: energizer's has it extend all the way down and he/she does not have a sig.

"When it's ready."

It's not that I want something released before it's ready. I just think it should "be" close to ready by a beta 5. (more than a month afetr beta 4 was released too)

edit: also since this has not been publicly released and they are listing fixes as beta 6 and not beta 5 makes me assume they aren't even going to release beta 5 to us when a lot of us want to try some of the changes and it's been more than a month.

It's not that I want something released before it's ready. I just think it should "be" close to ready by a beta 5. (more than a month afetr beta 4 was released too)

edit: also since this has not been publicly released and they are listing fixes as beta 6 and not beta 5 makes me assume they aren't even going to release beta 5 to us when a lot of us want to try some of the changes and it's been more than a month.

A Beta 6 hasn't even been officially confirmed. It's possible that it may become a RC release.

I agree that I really want a new beta release, since Beta 4 is useless for me, but on the other hand, no one outside of IPS really knows just how far or near the final release is.

In all honesty, I think you all should really give credit to these guys and stop constant everyday badgering on when it is going to be out. As I have seen them state before, no product is ever released bug free. Ever. However, they'd like to make it as bug free as possible. As for the delays between the Beta 4 and then the implementation of Beta 5 on this site, can you even imagine how massive this program is? Imagine being the only guy that has to go through over 4,300 lines of CSS and try to get it down to 2,000. Imagine also while doing that, you work on satisfying the large majority of customers with the icons, a tiny 1 pixel border here or there, adjust this, adjust that, etc. For his patience, and quality work, I feel that Rikki is doing things very well. As for that second skin, I feel that if Rikki took the time to develop that right now, while he is still trying to get this skin perfected, would only delay things further. Let him finish this skin.

Also imagine while you are trying to undertake finalizing this huge task, if you are one of the developers, a problem comes up with 2.3.6 that a large majority of the customers needed to have fixed. You'd have to go back to old 2.3 code just to fix that, and then get back up to speed with the 3.0 stuff once you've ironed that problem out.

As for everyone worried about that it will now be a Beta 6 just because the Tracker says ?6?, I say wait to see what happens. If you look in the tracker, there is only 5 Confirmed General bugs. 5. That's it. And only 14 Skin issues. Now, I'm sorry if I am sounding optimistic here, but with the massive number of users here on the forum, and that's all that's posted (and they aren't even all Beta 5 bugs), but I think we are on a road to progress here. Now, I know that the general public hasn't had their hands on this, and those numbers can easily change, but those numbers are fewer than the other betas that have been put on these live forums.

Give these guys a week, heck, give them at least ONE DAY without all of the, "Where's RC 1?", "Where's Final", "Where's the 2nd skin you guys said it would ship with?" questions, and see what happens. I'm sure they'd be a lot more productive if they didn't have to keep hearing these questions.

Now, I'll step down off this soap box, and go off to do something else.

edit 2: Actually it extends all the way down on bfarber's post, but not on mine. So it must only extend down if there is a signature? Would that be considered a bug?

Looks like the length is tied to how much information is in the user panel to the left of the post. I'd consider it a bug.

..Al

What is main difference between betas and RC versions?

Betas are a preview of what's to come. An RC release is destined to the final, stable release unless any major "showstopper" bugs are discovered.

The final IPB3 release will basically be the final RC release.

Guys, guys, calm down here. :P

Beta 5 WILL be released to the public. And pretty soon too. We prefer to install it here first to catch any major issues we didn't spot first locally and give it a few days testing before letting you download it. Additionally, QA will have to go over the "final" beta 5 one more time before it's released. It's coming soon though.

Secondly, no one said there will or won't be a beta 6. We don't know if beta 6 will be next, or RC1, or some other version we could make up before then. It's a placeholder, because we're at a stage where we don't exactly know what the next release will be called. It's irrelevant, however. After beta 5 will be another pre-final release for you to test. That's all that really matters.

@Axel Wers - typically a beta is known to have issues, while an RC (Release Candidate) is a release we *think* should be final, but we're letting everyone test it some more before calling it such.

• Management

Please excuse this thread being hijacked by user "ThisILove" ... this is someone who we have banned many times over for harassing people. The person keeps coming back. I'm not sure why perhaps they have a crush on us and/or personal vendetta. Hard to say really. Could be a crush. I know I'm lovable at least.

Continue, please. :lol:

Please excuse this thread being hijacked by user "ThisILove" ... this is someone who we have banned many times over for harassing people. The person keeps coming back. I'm not sure why perhaps they have a crush on us and/or personal vendetta. Hard to say really. Could be a crush. I know I'm lovable at least.

Continue, please. :lol:

We have an addictive quality.

That's by design :)

Not crazy about that, guess I will be "fixing" it in my skin. ;)

Edit: I do like the overall skin changes that have been made, though. I do wish the top and bottom rows of each post were connected somehow, though, since the bottom of one post runs directly into the top of another..

..Al

Betas are a preview of what's to come. An RC release is destined to the final, stable release unless any major "showstopper" bugs are discovered.

The final IPB3 release will basically be the final RC release.

@Axel Wers - typically a beta is known to have issues, while an RC (Release Candidate) is a release we *think* should be final, but we're letting everyone test it some more before calling it such.

Yes I thought so. I think there won't be big bugs between Beta 5 - ?6? - RC1. Beta 5 seems be pretty stable. But I can't test it because I have not installed Ioncube. I'll test final version and find some unknow bugs maybe :D

Yes I thought so. I think there won't be big bugs between Beta 5 - ?6? - RC1. Beta 5 seems be pretty stable. But I can't test it because I have not installed Ioncube. I'll test final version and find some unknow bugs maybe :D

At this time the plan is to release the RC's unencoded, so you can test them before final in that case. :)

Ultimately, we just didn't want to put in the tracker as the next version "RC 1" and then get everyone's hopes up, and then find something that sets us back. So, again, we just don't know what the next version is yet.

Archived