Minimum screen resolution for 2.2

Guest sunrisecc

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People with laptops perhaps? We thought we'd make a 900px fixed-width forum, but some people complained that scroll bars appeared in their browsers. Now we have a max:900px, min:760px width main table instead. It's possible to make some minor changes to accomodate smaller resolutions, like in forum index cutting out the post icon column, changing the date format in the 'last action' column and so on, and then changing the width percentages for each column. Editor width can be adjusted in the ACP. A little extra work, but certainly doable.

The current "web standard" resolution is 1024x768. Thus we design with this as a minimum in mind.

Well, you should design w/ accessibility in mind. A US federal judge recently ruled companies can be sued if their website is inaccessible to the blind. http://www.ibls.com/internet_law_news_port...ews&id=1608 I don't know if resolution matters but things like alt tags do.

Consider this. My grandfather has poor vision. He can no longer drive due to it, and has a hard time even seeing the TV in the living room. However, his screen resolution is still set to 1024x768.

Keeping in mind that yes, accessibility is still a priority, IPS also has to keep in mind that there are certain web standards, and as a manufacturer of web products it is in their best interest to follow those standards as well.

Yep, people who can't see very well. It's only a few people but I know because I have seen it myself. Not taking sides one way or the other; it has been a hot issue for a while now.

that's a very ignorant statement :rolleyes:

I can see perfectly fine and I still use 800x600. Why? Because I prefer it...I dont like things all stretched out across my screen. I also have a smaller moniter (17") so it dont look right if it aint set to 800x600. :ermm: (and before you say get a larger moniter please donate the $200 or so needed to buy one. :P )

I really dont think a website(or forum software) should be designed for just one screen resolution...I find this to be a very narrow minded view on the part of the developer/designers of any web project. ;)

I have two 17" LCD's on my desktop, both running 1280x1024 and I would pump it up higher if I could. I HATE 800x600, it just looks horrible. Reminds me of the resolution on a Commodore 64.

As for IPS not catering to those with low resolutions, it's not that they are choosing to do so...by making something 800x600 compatible they are limiting the things they can do for the majority. They would rather progress the functionality of the majority, if it means limiting the use for the minority.

But rest assured it's not to cause such problems, or be discriminatory - it's to provide better service and appearance to their customers.

• Management

It is just one of those things that at some point you have to choose to proceed to. Much like support for 640x480 is all but dead.

Some will always have issues though. We get unhappy calls often about lack of support for ancient browsers. While it would be nice to support them it's just not feasible.

Things aren't all tiny, I can see things perfectly fine from say 6 feet away...you guys need contacts or something.

I wear contacts...what's your point? :unsure: Why should I struggle with tiny text and layout? :rolleyes:

Like I said software shopuld be developed to work with any resolution...then everyone is happy :cool:

• Management

I wear contacts...what's your point? :unsure: Why should I struggle with tiny text and layout? :rolleyes:

Like I said software shopuld be developed to work with any resolution...then everyone is happy :cool:

I'm not sure how any software could be designed to work with any resolution... let alone one that had to contend with different languages, character sets, user supplied images of unknown dimmensions, user supplied content, etc.

Much like all web sites online have a minimum resolution requirement.

Archived