Mass delete spammers

Go to solution Solved by Nathan Explosion,

You would need to use the advanced search (click the cogwheel in the search bar) and then filter out what you want to see. Then click the Spammers tab. Be sure to take a complete backup prior to doing so.

1 minute ago, AlexWebsites said:

same IP

If you had added it to your ban flters, yes.

email

Correct - email = unique, so leaving them in there is a good thing. Or you add them to your ban filters if you want to delete the users.

username

Correct - display name could be re-used if deleted.

Just now, AlexWebsites said:

Is there a benefit to deleting spammers? I always thought that leaving the data would prevent the same spammer using the same IP, email, or username from come back. 

There is not a big huge benefit.  It's more OCD when viewing the member list.  😄 

The benefits I can think about would be having more usernames available for reuse if deleted, etc.  

Personally I see it as a bad thing as you lose the logs of bad emails that could try again.  It also has basically any record completely gone, etc.  

Posted (edited)

I guess a suggestion would be when you mark as a spammer, have the IP added to the ban filters. Maybe new registration check existing member IPs who were marked as spammers.

Thanks for the replies. I was asking because if it would greatly reduce db size or increase performance, I would consider. I think leaving outweighs removing unless the list is massive.

Edited by AlexWebsites

50 minutes ago, AlexWebsites said:

I guess a suggestion would be when you mark as a spammer, have the IP added to the ban filters.

Bad idea. 

• Dynamic IP addresses
  • Shared IP addresses

I would not do it. 😊

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sonya* said:

Bad idea. 

• Dynamic IP addresses
  • Shared IP addresses

I would not do it. 😊

I ban all data center IP's which proxy spammers use through CF - firewall.  Reduces 95% of spammers. Now we just deal with human spammers (from ASIA). No systematic way to block them really because this are just humans doing advertising. 

2 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:

Is there a benefit to deleting spammers? I always thought that leaving the data would prevent the same spammer using the same IP, email, or username from come back. 

Opens up username and it auto removes spam post from hidden view. 

5 hours ago, Jim M said:

You would need to use the advanced search (click the cogwheel in the search bar) and then filter out what you want to see. Then click the Spammers tab. Be sure to take a complete backup prior to doing so.

Sorry, in 'Search bar' - their is no option to only filter for spammers. Can you share the screenshot on where can I filter 'only' spammers.

Could contain: Page, Text, Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware, Monitor, Screen

Edited by AlexJ

11 minutes ago, AlexJ said:

Sorry, in 'Search bar' - their is no option to only filter for spammers. Can you share the screenshot on where can I filter 'only' spammers.

Could contain: Page, Text, Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware, Monitor, Screen

You would need to select something on this list. You can just search by "Joined" and do the start date of your community and today, if you want to do all.

Then when it directs you back to the list, just tab over to the "Spammers" tab as in your screenshot in the OP:

Could contain: Page, Text, File