Sudden influx of posts from Guest users, even though posting for guests is disabled?

23 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

@LiamH - just checked your site as a guest; there are several forums open to allow guests to post new topics.

I suggest you look at the permissions that the Guest group has for forums:

Could contain: Page, Text

You also have "Post before registering" enabled:

Could contain: Text, Page

We want to keep the post before registering but only for 2 forums which it's enabled in. We don't allow guest accounts the permission to post in the other forums, but somehow we are recently getting exactly that.

2 minutes ago, LiamH said:

but somehow we are recently getting exactly that.

It's designed to allow them...they can "Post before registering" as your members group has permissions to do so...

Could contain: Page, Text

If someone in your members group can post in a location where guests cannot, then guests will be able to post.

This is happening when people post on your site as a guest, using post before register. You actually shouldnt be able to see that post unless they do register, but they are showing on your site. This is very likely the result of one of your 3rd party applications. I would advise on disabling all of those, then trying to do a new topic while logged out in the same section, then logging in as yourself to see if you can see it. You shouldnt be able to

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2024 at 6:11 AM, Nathan Explosion said:

Turn off "Post before registering"

Thanks for this.  I just came here after realizing spammy guests were able to post junk.   I had no idea this was set to ON

2 hours ago, bouche said:

Thanks for this.  I just came here after realizing spammy guests were able to post junk.   I had no idea this was set to ON

This wouldn't allow Guests to post, they would still have to register 😉