How to send a sequence of onboarding emails to users?

Go to solution Solved by MediaDiGi,

Hello folks,

I need help with something, and I think the feature I require isn't part of the Invision community but is very useful.

I need a way to send a sequence of onboarding emails to the users who register.

What would be even better is to send different sequences to different user groups.

At Topgold.Forum, we have the following:

1. Members (who can upgrade to 2 or 3)
  2. Premium members
  3. Company Representative (who can upgrade to 4)
  4. Verified Companies.

I want to be able to send different onboarding email sessions with features, etc, for each of these groups at custom intervals. What solution do I have besides, I suppose, zappier?

Thank you!

Onboarding emails in like a drip campaign style aren't really something available in the core itself. I would suggest using Zapier to connect with MailChimp or another drip campaign / automation designed email platform that can handle this for you with ease.

Outside of that, Announcements and Alerts can be tailored to a member group so could be like a "Welcome message" and then point to a specific topic, page, whatever on your community which has more onboarding resources. I have something similar on my community where I have an alert welcoming them and then direct them to how to post photos and to introduce themselves to the community. The bad news is there really isn't a drip style to send 1 notice on day 1, the next on day 2, the next on day 3, etc... 

1 hour ago, teraßyte said:

Maybe you could use multiple alerts that shows only to specific groups?

Thank you for your suggestion @teraßyte. Unfortunately, the alert system is not suitable for what I need, and it also doesn't send emails to users

29 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Onboarding emails in like a drip campaign style aren't really something available in the core itself. I would suggest using Zapier to connect with MailChimp or another drip campaign / automation designed email platform that can handle this for you with ease.

Outside of that, Announcements and Alerts can be tailored to a member group so could be like a "Welcome message" and then point to a specific topic, page, whatever on your community which has more onboarding resources. I have something similar on my community where I have an alert welcoming them and then direct them to how to post photos and to introduce themselves to the community. The bad news is there really isn't a drip style to send 1 notice on day 1, the next on day 2, the next on day 3, etc... 

Well, I really need drip campaigns (and I remember that it was such a plugin many years ago), but the creator abandoned or didn't update to v4. So I will look into Zapier.

Thank you both for your help

• Solution

A quick update here:

I managed to do what I needed using Zapier and my email list provider. Still, again, I would love to be able to do it inside Invision because, in my opinion, drip campaigns are great for (re)engagement and is a feature quite easy to code because most of the functions are there.

By the way had an issue with configuring the Nginx rewrite rules so Zapier can access the API, as it forced me to dwd a htaccess file, which we know is useless on Nginx, but that's a story for some other time 🙂

Edited by MediaDiGi