Software over 15 years has become a mess for me

Greetings.  I have been using the IPB forum software since 2008 and have gone through the software updates, upgrades, secured server changes, config changes etc to the point now it has become a mess.  Now when I go to open my forum area a page wants me to install Invision Community 4.  When I try to do so I get a 500 error.  I can't go any further.  My license is active.  What should be my next step?  

Also, I am unable to download the most recent software from the client area.  Thanks

Edited by sefla

• sefla changed the title to Software over 15 years has become a mess for me
9 minutes ago, sefla said:

Greetings.  I have been using the IPB forum software since 2008 and have gone through the software updates, upgrades, secured server changes, config changes etc to the point now it has become a mess.  Now when I go to open my forum area a page wants me to install Invision Community 4.  When I try to do so I get a 500 error.  I can't go any further.  My license is active.  What should be my next step?  Thanks

Hi @sefla

1. What version are you running today? 3.x or 4.x? 

2. Are you looking for more hands-on server assistance, or are you capable of basic server troubleshooting?

There are some excellent third party providers (paid) such as @ASTRAPI or @Driven 2 Services who can help with upgrade, or you can consider Cloud.  

2 hours ago, sefla said:

When I try to do so I get a 500 error.  I can't go any further.

This is almost always server related. Are there any errors logged in at the Server Error Log?

2 hours ago, sefla said:

It appears I need a total reinstall of the software

What version of Ipb do you have currently and what is the php version?

It took most of the day and a ton of trial and error fixes.

First main issue was I could not download the software from the client area.

After I made this post I was able to.  I reuploaded everything except the Uploads folder

Did many other things mainly with htaccess and SSL.

What I did absolutely think worked best was changing in the conf_global area 'installed=true' then did a site update.

A cumulation of all those things and so far so good.