Cannot copy photo into post or reply?

PinPics

Still trying to work on this. If I use the "Snip & Sketch" program, the image can be copied into a post without any problem (just by using ctrl+v). BUT . . . if I locate the image online, right-click to select "copy image", and then try to paste that into the post, it does not work. It will copy it into the post in the editor like this:

Could contain: File, Webpage, Page, Text

But when I hit the "create topic/post/reply" button to actually make the post public, it ends up looking like this:

Could contain: File, Page, Text, Webpage, Person

I'm looking for the option that will allow that image to show as a picture, not a link. But we want the images hosted on our site, not as remote images, due to things disappearing when removed from other hosts.

6 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Check in System>Settings>Posting to see if you are allowing remote images

We have that off. I really don't want to allow remote images, since I want anything posted to be stored in our system to avoid broken links. 

A friend has two IPS communities, and he can select an image online with the right-click "copy image". Then, paste that into a post on his forum, hit the "Post" button, and the image shows in his post and is hosted by him. His remote images option is off, too. Sadly, he had someone configure it awhile ago and can't remember where they did this in AdminCP.

So, I'm trying to find a way to achieve that same thing. If I turn the remote images on, yes it works. But I don't want people posting images via remote links. Hope that makes sense.

1 hour ago, Marc Stridgen said:

If your clipboard is actually pasting a link to an image and you have that switched off, it would not show the image there

No, it's not the "copy image link" that doesn't work -- it's the "copy image". It allows you to post the image in the editor while typing, and shows it as an image (shown in the screengrabs above). But when I click the "Submit Reply" button, it then changes it to what looks like a link but is not actually a link. I am wanting to store all images in my system, not link to outside things. 

1 hour ago, teraßyte said:

There is no way to do that with the default code as far as I know.

I thought so too, but I just tried it here, pasting an image selection from Photoshop and it is actually turned into an attachment as requested. 

Could contain: Pottery, Nature, Outdoors, Snow, Snowman, Winter, Plant, Potted Plant

Might not work with every clipboard content, OS and browser though. Don’t know. 

Edited by opentype

24 minutes ago, teraßyte said:

I'm pretty sure it used to throw an error in the past. Maybe a recent code or CKEditor update allows it now. 👀

We've supported paste from clipboard for quite a long time.

2 hours ago, PinPics said:

No, it's not the "copy image link" that doesn't work -- it's the "copy image". It allows you to post the image in the editor while typing, and shows it as an image (shown in the screengrabs above). But when I click the "Submit Reply" button, it then changes it to what looks like a link but is not actually a link. I am wanting to store all images in my system, not link to outside things. 

Which browser are you using and where are you trying to copy from?

1 hour ago, Stuart Silvester said:

We've supported paste from clipboard for quite a long time.

Which browser are you using and where are you trying to copy from?

Hi!

Yes, it absolutely does seem to work here without any issue. I have both Edge and Firefox (both current versions), and it seems to work here perfectly using both. But it does not work on my own community. I've been going through the settings all over, but nothing seems to fix it so far.

3 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Please provide a link to the item you are trying to paste, and I can take a look on your site to see if I can see the difference there

Sure! I have actually just been testing this with a picture from our pin database coming up via Google:

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=564680935&q=disney+pinpics&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiy1oPCiaWBAxWRMDQIHR0GA-0Q0pQJegQIFBAB&biw=1912&bih=924&dpr=1#imgrc=L25MfVq86UfR6M

It's been this image:

PinPics | Free Disney Pin Trading Database

Thanks so much for the help!

15 minutes ago, opentype said:

Those are just remote images. That’s why it shows the remote URL after posting. The fact that you see the image briefly in the editor is irrelevant.

An attachment (which is what you want) would instantly show in the attachment section. That’s what you need to look out for. 

What I'm trying to figure out is how to get those copied images to automatically insert and end up hosted on my site. 

A friend (the one who recommended and talked me into getting IPS) volunteers on two IPS communities. When an image is copied in the same manner illustrated above, it loads into the post and ends up hosted on their server automatically. And they do not have remote images enabled.
Sadly, the gent who configured their communities just passed away, so there's no way to ask him directly which option he used. But here is the same image copied into a post there:

Could contain: Page, Text