Sparkpost vs Integrated emails (cloud)

Go to solution Solved by Randy Calvert,

Hello,

I am currently paying 20$ to sparkpost and just realized that there's a way to use incisions email server instead.

Is there documentation about the pro and cons of sparkpost service vs invisions integrated email server offering on the cloud package?

Thanks for the help,

Mail is mail ultimately.  The only big difference with IPB's sending of email is that it is sent from a generic address.  

See my comments in for details.  

I switched my community to using IPB's mail system and have not had any issues at all.  Users never realized anything was "different".  

We wouldnt really do a pros/con against every mail service on the internet. What you really need to do is ask yourself what you want to achieve. If the answer to that question is that you simply want it to successfully send out mail, then just use the internal one. If you want something such as your own domain and to do other things with your mail service (whatever those 'things' may be) then look for a service which suits what you need.

There is often an emphasis on seeing what one service offers that another service doesn't, rather than asking the correct question of "What do I actually need?"

On 8/21/2023 at 3:50 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

We wouldnt really do a pros/con against every mail service on the internet. What you really need to do is ask yourself what you want to achieve. If the answer to that question is that you simply want it to successfully send out mail, then just use the internal one. If you want something such as your own domain and to do other things with your mail service (whatever those 'things' may be) then look for a service which suits what you need.

There is often an emphasis on seeing what one service offers that another service doesn't, rather than asking the correct question of "What do I actually need?"

So if I understand correctly, is it worth 20$ having the email coming from mysite.com instead of invisioninc.com ?

I assume managing bounce is also done by the internal email server?

Thanks,

• Solution
Marc Stridgen
This post was recognized by Marc Stridgen!

Randy Calvert was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 5 points.

Bounce management is done by the CiC environment because IPS can see the actual bounces. (One of the perks for the way it is deployed now.)

If you use a third party service, bounce management is on you to figure out. There are some APIs written to interface with some various providers out there by third parties. 

Regarding is it worth $20 for email coming from your site… only you can answer what the other company is doing for you. For example do they offer tracking opened emails?  Do they show CTR and other stats?  Can you use it to prove delivery of email?  If so, what’s the value of those things not in the core IPB system to you. 

You are not required to use a third party service. As a result, if you do choose… it’s on you to evaluate what that provider does beyond what IPS does for you already and if there is enough value from it. 

On 8/21/2023 at 3:50 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

I don't really use any of the metrics that spark post tracks for me, and I don't really care honestly. All I want is reliable email sent to my folks and track bounces so the members updates their email accordingly.

20 minutes ago, mtlurb said:

I don't really use any of the metrics that spark post tracks for me, and I don't really care honestly. All I want is reliable email sent to my folks and track bounces so the members updates their email accordingly.

If you're not worried about the above and do not worry about a branding email domain, I would just use our Cloud solution to send emails. It will be the easier to SendGrid with a comparable delivery rate, best part though is your completely hands off.

Just now, Jim M said:

If you're not worried about the above and do not worry about a branding email domain, I would just use our Cloud solution to send emails. It will be the easier to SendGrid with a comparable delivery rate, best part though is your completely hands off.

Will it mange bounces? so I can keep a clean member list with their emails?

Thanks 🙂