How could the same user sign up for 4 accounts with the same username/ip?

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

Unlikely, unless the server you're on is really slow.

If you're on a shared server, then including your password in the command line can be a huge security risk.  Just an FYI.

yes, I agree, but don't worry. It's not a shared server and It's not in the command line, I just cut and paste this from google as an example. Was just trying to create an easy cleaned up statement so people can assume it's running and not ask those sorts of questions. (noticed I just added a bunch of faked up parameters). Main point is to show the options.  But, yes, good catch.

Edited by SJ77

• 1 month later...

For some reason it wouldn't let me screen shot all 3 so I tried again. But too late to edit the one above.

Weird, I have a screen shot that shows 3 of these but no matter how I try I can only get the first 2 to show.. WTF

I give up, my images are attaching weirdly but trust me there are 3 of these accounts all with the same IP address signed up at the same time.

Could contain: File, Page, Text

Edited by SJ77

Got a chance to ask the member this time if they noticed anything. Here is what they said

Hi there,

The signup screen was a bit delayed, perhaps that's how it occurred?

I thought I had not satisfied the password criteria but maybe it had processed but not loaded?

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have anything third party which is interacting with user accounts in any way, shape, or form? Not that you couldn't have found some weird anomaly in our software but actions which violate the application's "rules" typically stem from modifications or oddities in hosting.

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

Do you have anything third party which is interacting with user accounts in any way, shape, or form? Not that you couldn't have found some weird anomaly in our software but actions which violate the application's "rules" typically stem from modifications or oddities in hosting.

I am not sure. I am having a hard time isolating what the issue could be. It never happened on IPB 4.4, Then I updated to the newest version and that's the only time I have ever noticed this.

Seems like perhaps it could be caused by hitting the submit button several times during the sign up process.

Newest customer said this.

now that you mentioned this i did get 3 separate confirmation emails to validate my account, this could be due to my impatience when clicking to sign up via my mobile phone

I am testing to see if I can recreate this issue myself.

Edited by SJ77

YUP!! It was easy to recreate. There was no slow query, no delay or anything like that.
It boils down to how fast you can click "create my account"

Could contain: Page, Text

Seems like a race condition issue, that button should not be kicking off multiple queries when clicked.

I will see if I can do the same thing here on this site but of course, you will have to check for me to see if it happens here as I don't have ACP access.

2 hours ago, Jim M said:

Mashing the register button as quickly as I could, I got met with an error that the email or display name I chose already exists so it sounds like something in your installation is either allowing this or slow.

I was able to reproduce on @RevengeFNF site

I also have a test site that runs on an entirely different server with NO TRAFFIC of any kind. It's a server dedicated for my test site only.  It's running 4.7.12 and no plugins and I was able to reproduce there.

That's 3 completely separated environments where I can easily reproduce this.

Did you use mobile?  Can you take another look?

Edited by SJ77

On 6/26/2023 at 8:28 AM, SeNioR- said:

As I wrote in the beginning, it happened to me too. I was registering the account as usual (not via the popup), and probably had to click the "Register" button twice. I was surprised too, but it's actually possible. This can be marked as a bug.

Just adding this here ^ as another example.

This is a BUG I am nearly certain at this point.

That button should not be allowed to fire off multiple account creation queries.  There is logic to handle this sort of stuff and a sign up button should not be having this issue.

It's actually a bigger deal for me because many of my users are customers and sometimes they end up in different accounts each time they log in, leaving them wondering where the content is that they previously paid for.

It's scrambling my data base and upsetting people.

Edited by SJ77

On 6/26/2023 at 4:28 PM, SeNioR- said:

As I wrote in the beginning, it happened to me too. I was registering the account as usual (not via the popup), and probably had to click the "Register" button twice. I was surprised too, but it's actually possible. This can be marked as a bug.

10 hours ago, SJ77 said:

Just adding this here ^ as another example.

This is a BUG I am nearly certain at this point.

That button should not be allowed to fire off multiple account creation queries.  There is logic to handle this sort of stuff and a sign up button should not be having this issue.

It's actually a bigger deal for me because many of my users are customers and sometimes they end up in different accounts each time they log in, leaving them wondering where the content is that they previously paid for.

It's scrambling my data base and upsetting people.

While I can understand your frustration, as with my colleague, I am unable to reproduce this no matter what I do. I simply cant create 2 accounts no matter how fast I try and click through.

Please could both of you ensure your access details are up to date, so I can take a closer look. It may help if I can compare the setup of the 2, in order to see if there is anything obvious

• 2 months later...

I realize we have already been around the circle on this one but I just wanted to document the most aggressive example of this. While it might be some 3rd party plugin causing this I have not yet identified it. I know others are having similar issue so if you solve, please don't forget  to share your solution .

6 identical registrations. 🙂

15 hours ago, SJ77 said:

I realize we have already been around the circle on this one but I just wanted to document the most aggressive example of this. While it might be some 3rd party plugin causing this I have not yet identified it. I know others are having similar issue so if you solve, please don't forget  to share your solution .

6 identical registrations. 🙂

Is this something happening consistently enough for you to switch off 3rd party items for a while?

10 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Is this something happening consistently enough for you to switch off 3rd party items for a while?

Unfortunately my site is a business and my business shuts down without 3rd party.
I do have a test site, and I have been trying to isolate the cause of the issue on the test site without the need to shut down my business on the live site. If I manage to figure it out I will let everyone know in case it can help someone else.
Thank you 🙂

• 1 month later...