Large Log Table Error

rayzir

Hello. 

I'm getting a large log table error.  I have the prune settings set to 7 days.  When I look at the logs, I only see 40 or so entries.  I feel like it's not getting rid of the old logs, even though they are not visible.  I don't know why it would be 9.7gigs otherwise.

Thanks for your help.

Could contain: Page, Text

Do you have access to phpMyAdmin at your host?

If you do, examine that core_log table with it. Check the table's  "Size" and "Overhead" values:

Could contain: Page, Text, File

"Size" is the current actual size of the table. If your shows 9.7 GB then that error you see is valid (though pruning should clean that up).

"Overhead" should be zero or "-" as above.

If your core_log table shows 9.x GB of Overhead, then your server is not performing the cleanup of the deleted data, which should happen periodically. This is something your host would need to address.

Does that resolve the issue?

If not please reply with more details as to where you "only see 40 or so entries".

The overhead is showing this.  How do I fix this?  What do I tell my hosting company?

Could contain: Page, Text

I clicked into the core_log table, and it shows only 44 records.

Could contain: File, Text, Webpage

When I initially looked within IP Board, the log showed around 40ish logs where I would set the pruning settings:

Could contain: Page, Text, File, Webpage

Randy is correct on both points, but don't optimize that table. Your host needs to see it in that condition.

Contact your host and tell them something like "automated cleanup of deleted table data doesn't appear to be working, please check that and correct it if so?".

You can show them that screenshot, or they can check via phpMyAdmin as well.

Either way, and assuming you're on a managed server, they are the only ones who can fix this.