Uninstalling Member Map

Go to solution Solved by rhocar,

Hi, I wonder if anyone could help, I have searched the forum but could not find anyone with this problem.   I am brand new to the Invision software so still learning.

It seems that after the recent upgrade, the change from PHP7 to PHP8 disabled the "Member Map" third-party extension.  Luckily the author provided a new extension called "Commuity Map" which provides the same functionality.  I have successfully installed that so to the user the system is fine.   However, I now find I cannot uninstall the old "Member Map" extension.    When I tap on the Uninstall button I get the confirmation box, but if I press the OK button all I get is a totally blank screen and nothing else happens.  Regardless of how long I leave it the extension does not get uninstalled.

I could just leave it at that, as it does not affect the behaviour of the system, but it's a bit annoying that now, every time I log on to the AdminCP, I get the big red warning banner that says I have an extension that will not work under PHP7.   The author is very helpful but could not suggest a solution.   The hoster has suggested a temporary downgrade to PHP7 to see if that helps, but I would prefer to avoid that if possible.

Anyone any ideas ?

Thanks

Al

1 hour ago, teraßyte said:

IPS cannot support 3rd party modifications. It's best if you ask directly for help from the developer in the application's support topic:

Yeah. I'm not really sure if I consider this "my" issue. That was an app that had its end of life more than two years ago, with the latest supported IPS version also being EOL.

Doing a patch release for it would also make it a free alternative to Community Map, unless I spend time making it unusable by removing lots of stuff

Edited by Martin A.

28 minutes ago, Martin A. said:

Yeah. I'm not really sure if I consider this "my" issue. That was an app that had its end of life more than two years ago, with the latest supported IPS version also being EOL.

Doing a patch release for it would also make it a free alternative to Community Map, unless I spend time making it unusable by removing lots of stuff

I also had one of this yesterday… I’ve made it compatible, asked the ACP credentials, updated and uninstalled. Didn’t give the chance to keep using it.

5 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

I also had one of this yesterday… I’ve made it compatible, asked the ACP credentials, updated and uninstalled. Didn’t give the chance to keep using it.

That works unless they've associated the app with the marketplace listing, or on a cloud plan that don't allow manual uploads.

Hi Marc

Sorry, a bit of confusion here.   It's me (a customer) who wants to remove the application, not the author.   I've been talking with Martin but we haven't been able to solve it.

Because it was automatically disabled it isn't actually causing me any problem, it just means I get that huge red banner popping up everywhere telling me I have a non-compatible app.   If I could remove the banner that would solve my problem 😀

On 11/7/2022 at 12:24 PM, Marc Stridgen said:

Im a little confused here. The author wants to remove the application and its not allowing the uninstall due to an issue. That would indeed be an issue with the 3rd party application. 

So ... How long after an app is unsupported am I supposed to keep supporting it then?

I don't have a dog in this fight other than having concerns that plug-ins/apps do not have the ability to remove themselves if there is an issue with templates left behind, altered templates not reverting and/or just in general (for whatever reason whether the mod is abandoned, has a EOL or just becomes unsupported).

rhocar seems to be stuck in this gray area which doesn't seem fair.

31 minutes ago, Martin A. said:

So ... How long after an app is unsupported am I supposed to keep supporting it then?

That would be your own choice of course. This isnt really about what you do support, but rather what we dont and never have supported. 

2 minutes ago, My Sharona said:

I don't have a dog in this fight other than having concerns that plug-ins/apps do not have the ability to remove themselves if there is an issue with templates left behind, altered templates not reverting and/or just in general (for whatever reason whether the mod is abandoned, has a EOL or just becomes unsupported).

rhocar seems to be stuck in this gray area which doesn't seem fair.

Unfortunately, this is the nature of adding 3rd party items. We have had many instances of this in the past. Items that are no longer supported, people who have left the community, and even people who have died in the past. However as mentioned above, we have never supported nor written those items. While I sympathise with the issue there, this has always been the case.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution
On 11/8/2022 at 11:11 PM, abetts said:

I'm in the same boat and would be interested if you find a solution to removing the old version. 

Martin has kindly provided an updated version of mmer map that can be unistalled.   If you install it then it overwrites the problem version, which can then be uninstalled.   Job done 😀

• 8 months later...
On 11/20/2022 at 2:39 PM, rhocar said:

Martin has kindly provided an updated version of mmer map that can be unistalled.   If you install it then it overwrites the problem version, which can then be uninstalled.   Job done 😀

Is this updated version still available.  I need to remove the app from my site.  

• 2 weeks later...