Pages: Have to Set Past Publish Date Three Times

But apparently it can't be done!Β πŸ˜…

Thanks @Nathan Explosion I'll look into this.

EDIT: I guess I'll say something constructive in all of this - @MattΒ I suggest this field could be renamed from "Publish Date" to "Future Publish Date" so that users do not get confused as to its actual function. No user is going to use that field for any other purpose (you can't set a past date, and for current date it's redundant), so a name change would make sense and avoid future customers asking about this.Β πŸ™‚

Edited by Dreadknux

25 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

But apparently it can't be done!

I believe you may have read my previous response incorrectly. The intention of the feature is for delaying the publication of items. Feesability within the scope, and ability are not one and the same there.Β 

We do of course appreciate the suggestion there

46 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

I believe you may have read my previous response incorrectly. The intention of the feature is for delaying the publication of items. Feesability within the scope, and ability are not one and the same there.Β 

We do of course appreciate the suggestion there

Why was this intention not fully communicated back in September 2022? I actually feel like this entire bug report/thread has been wholly misunderstood by IPS, which as a long-time and dedicated customer (and one that is looking to move even further into your ecosystem) is sorely disappointing.

I believe I was very clear in what was trying to be accomplished from the start - if there was no intention to fix the issue in the way I outlined (which Matt seemed to offer the impression he was looking into), then IPS Staff should have been up front about this from the first response and I would have dropped the report.

I'm sorry for being flippant in my previous post, but this really has not been a great customer support experience. I'll get over it, but I think given the assurances and lack of detail posted throughout the last few months I could be forgiven for misunderstanding what IPS considers scope, feasibility and ability here.

Matt did indeed look into it, as promised. And its very likely we will continue to do so. However at the present time, as the intention of this was to push forward dates, its simply breaking things.Β 

To be clear here, we were indeed upfront that this wasn't the intention of the function. This was stated before we said we would look into it, and can understand the frustration. We did, and we still do. However the reality is we cant leave quiteΒ  large bug on the system, while we continue to look at getting the system to work in a manner that wasnt originally intended. We need to fix that bug, and did so.Β 

4 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Unfortunately, until we look into these things fully, its not always certain how they will turn out. In the case here the correct fix was to make it work as intended, which was indeed what Matt had originally pointed out above. It simply wasn't feesable to do in another way, as it wasn't intended to work that way in the first place unfortunately.

This is funny because I've used this exact functionality for literally years. I'd like to say at least 5, but probably longer.

I'll probably stop doing software updates for now to retain this functionality.Β  As I said, I don't need it often on my IPS site, but when I need it, I need it.

3 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

I'm actually quite confused as to how the CMS has been coded in such a way as to make such past-date publish settings unfeasible - it's something that Wordpress can do very easily.

Exactly. I do use it often on my Wordpress sites.

3 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

Kind of makes me wonder what the CMS app was originally coded for...

πŸ€” It's a question I've muttered out loud for years.

I wanted to provide some background on why we've made this change. We were experiencing some reliability issues with the future publishing functionality across the platform in 4.7.7, and we had to revert some recent fixes for bugs and go back to a known state. During that testing, we repeatedly ran into issues with publishing new items with dates in the past, which is why we made the decision to disable the ability to add new items to the past. In older versions, setting a publish date was something specific to Pages, then we expanded it to cover more areas.

If you have any specific use cases for this feature, please let us know. Your input will help us determine the best way to move forward and ensure that our platform meets the needs of all our users. I did see howΒ @DreadknuxΒ uses this functionality to backdate press releases and articles for legacy consoles.

2 hours ago, Stuart Silvester said:

I wanted to provide some background on why we've made this change. We were experiencing some reliability issues with the future publishing functionality across the platform in 4.7.7, and we had to revert some recent fixes for bugs and go back to a known state. During that testing, we repeatedly ran into issues with publishing new items with dates in the past, which is why we made the decision to disable the ability to add new items to the past. In older versions, setting a publish date was something specific to Pages, then we expanded it to cover more areas.

If you have any specific use cases for this feature, please let us know. Your input will help us determine the best way to move forward and ensure that our platform meets the needs of all our users. I did see howΒ @DreadknuxΒ uses this functionality to backdate press releases and articles for legacy consoles.

In my case, I use it when I have agreements with manufacturers for specific release dates/times, but for one reason or another, I'm getting the posting up late. This typically happens if I receive the information in an inconvenient window, like overnight, when I'm asleep.

For the situation that arises on one of the WordPress sites I manage, I use it when a post about a new code or resolution goes into effect but the elected officials are late in getting me the official copy.

Edited by CheersnGears

20 hours ago, Stuart Silvester said:

I just wanted to let you all know that I had a good night's sleep and I'm over itΒ πŸ˜…

Many thanks to Stuart, Marc and Matt for assisting with all of this, and for the feedback/context. I think the important thing as a customer is just knowing if your feedback is being heard or not, and it was a little bit confusing to think that was happening within this particular thread. I apologise for getting the wrong end of the stick here.

I'm glad to know that use cases are being considered for future updates. I'm more than happy to serve myself up as a guinea pig and road test whatever swanky rewrite you have cooking if it will help to get some added perspective! πŸ™‚Β 

For now, I'm going to look into this plugin that was shared earlier and hope that all my previous suggestions relating to Pages/CMS are being considered as I think that would really help make IPS shine in future versions.