this support system has no privacy

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

hello, i see this support system has no privacy , some time we have in some issue and have to post some critial errors and other personal things here when support person ask, and the support person will not response in time and any body can download and see the information.

like in my last thread where support person ask me to give us the slow query logs, and when i post it some people download it , those are not support person of invison community board. because support person response after few hours and many people can download and see the slow query logs.

you have to thing about this or do some solution where we can post some information that only invision communtiy support person can see or is their any button to lock the information, which support person have access only and if they want they can public it.

we don't want to share every thing public. and the problem is we don't even edit our threads .

If you have a sensitive issue, just post a topic and ask for a staff member to open a ticket for you. 

By the way… a slow query log is not sensitive info. There is nothing there is going to compromise your server. 

(The MySQL user may be shown but MySQL should not be accessible outside of localhost or implicit trusted remote hosts AND it does not display a password.  So there is compensating security controls that prevent exploitation.  It’s like someone knowing your name is “John” and thinking you have enough info to compromise his identity with only that detail.)

• Solution

Taking a look at the topic there, we should have possibly created a ticket for you on this, or asked you to message the detail to us directly. I can certainly mention this to our other support staff too so that we are aware. Of course, as mentioned by Randy above, if you do have things that are sensitive you need to discuss you can always ask for a ticket to be created if needed. Note this should only be done if it is indeed sensitive information.

On 9/5/2022 at 3:21 PM, Marc Stridgen said:

This is not something available any longer unfortunately. 

Why?
This new system is not good. While customers might be in a stressful situation we have to be careful not to disclose any information. For many of us, we must communicate in a foreign language.
I've seen customers, by mistake, posting screendumps that includes member emailadresses and IP.
Customers have begged their support-topic to be deleted.

Myself I had to justify, in public,, why I didn't wont to post certain information.

You would simply never post sensitive information unless its in an email ticket. This isnt really any different to any other public medium. If you have an issue whereby you need it to be private because there is private information, just ask and we can do that.

18 minutes ago, Canis said:

Customers have begged their support-topic to be deleted.

Im not sure I would agree with the categorisation here. We have been asked and in response it has been removed. I have not seen an instance where someone has had to beg for this to be removed.

19 minutes ago, Canis said:

Myself I had to justify, in public,, why I didn't wont to post certain information.

Without the example, I wouldnt be able to fairly comment on an individual situation. If you would like to link me on that, I can certainly advise on why that was the case.

We're not out to make life harder here, and we have had considerable feedback stating people, in general, like the new system. In fact we have had people who stated they would never like it when we first switched, who have since stated they have changed their mind having used it.

• Management

99% of support issues can be dealt with in this forum and others may benefit from the conversation. If you need to post sensitive data, then just state that in the topic and we'll convert it to a ticket for you.

"I'm getting an issue with MySQL and I have a slow query log, can I send it privately or have a ticket opened?" is all you need to do. 🙂