What is this for - Enter numbers 1-9 Please enter 123456789 in the field below

Hello there. This has puzzled me for quite some time. One of the fields on my forums is -

Enter numbers 1-9

Please enter 123456789 in the field below

Apart from the fact that the field to enter numbers in is actually above 🙂 I can't think why it is there, especially as none of my members have filled it in. I can't even see any reference to it in a search on these forums.

it looks to me this some sort of manual anti spam where you ask the subscribing members to answer a simple question but a bot wouldn't be able to do it. This is most probably inherited from the past, did your forum used to be on another platform than IPS ?

In IPS this is doable in spam prevention settings, in the "question and answer challenge", it is better because you can have several questions and the users is shown one of them randomly, so the answer cannot be scripted too easily. I use "write 22 in letters" for example.

Hi and thanks for replies. It appears on everyone's profile, see attached.

jesuralem, that's an interesting thought, I do use Invision's question and answer section, and my questions must be answered to register. But this bizarre, "enter numbers 1 - 9" can't be used during registration because no one fill it in. In fact my own profile is the only one where it shows 123456789 next to that section – as I clearly filled it in.

If I remember right, I was originally on something like phpBB forums, but I've been using Invision for well over 10 years. I originally used Invision's import facility to convert over.

It would be nice to get rid of it somehow..

Could contain: Page, Text, Document, Menu

Edited by Washerhelp

Nice one Nathan. Thanks very much for that, deleted and fixed instantly. I also took the opportunity to delete all the website URL and messenger details that I didn't know I could remove.

So is it part of Invision, or did that feel somehow get imported from the old original forum format?