Upgrade Stalled Out

Once again I have gone to GoDaddy and this is their response:

we have checked this with our backend team and this is the issue because of the content that you have updated in the website only, As we have update the test script and that is working and the server is also working fine, But the files that you have updated needs to be reviewed and would request to delete the files that are not required.

Harry Applegate
 at 18:13, Jul 21:
I'm not understanding
there is a single file showing it is holding up the upgrade of the software:
/home/gah537/public_html/GreatAdventureHistory/Forums/system/Db/Db.php
This is the issue. As I stated before it shows all permissions and ownership is correct from what we can see and the IPS Tech Support can see, but they are saying there is an issue on the server side.

Rajat
 at 18:15, Jul 21:
Mostly parsing through your files, but you have really custom content - so I'm trying to identify any global rules you've preset to see if we can comment any out to make a difference. When I logged in the primary control files had already been disabled, so that only left pieces of code.
May I know which software you are upgrading?
Harry Applegate
 at 18:17, Jul 21:
Rajat
 at 18:20, Jul 21:
Thank but this needs to be hands off. This is 100% custom code and we can help you with the server and I've checked with the backend team and they have confirmed that the server is working completely fine.
If you have the developer you would need to check with him or if you manage it then you would know it better as we can help you with the sever and the issue is with the codes and we are unable to help you with that as we do not have access for that.

I've been following this and it seems very bizarre. 

The screencap of your FTP client looks fine. The file is there and it's permissions are 0644 which is what it should be. My owner/group numbers are different but it looks like they may vary from person to person and they should match each other and be identical to all the other files in the directory. The file size is accurate at 80,514. It all looks good.

Line 120 of my Db.php file is....

'host'		=> $host ?? ini_get("mysqli.default_host"),

... which I'm sure yours is too since or else our file sizes would be off.

What is the permission of the /system/ and the /system/Db/ directories? For me they are set to 0755

When you FTP'ed ALL the 4.7 package files to your server, overwriting everything, did you log any failed transfers?

These are just some things I would be checking if it were happening to me.

Well this is beyond me. I do have a couple more ideas probably not worth their salt. Maybe the Invision guys would caution against this, but maybe....

1) rename Db.php to Db-OLD.php and then FTP the fresh Db.php file over to the server. When you see them both in the directory then you will know without a doubt it's the real deal. 

2) start the upgrade process over again.

None of this should actually matter, but I know when I'm grasping at straws I will try anything.

Then in an attempt to at least get back online you should be able to re-upload the old version and restore your backed up database. You'll be back to 4.6.? but at least it'll be functioning.

If all else fails then kiss GoDaddy goodbye, lol

10 hours ago, GreatAdventureHistory said:

All the files uploaded. There was one failed upload, but I reuploaded and everything was showing successful. 

Just checked permissions on the folder and everything looks normal. 

Are you uploading files in Binary mode via FTP ?

19 minutes ago, GreatAdventureHistory said:

Yes, and I just re-uploaded everything again just to be sure there wasn't an issue with any files. 

Could be with php configuration and host? You may try moving to a higher PHP version (8.0).

Anyhow what kind of environment is this? Shared Hosting/VPS or Dedicated.

Have you tried deleting the Db.php file before reuploading/overwriting it? It happened to me once that a file was somehow "stuck" and it wouldn't work no matter how many times I tried replacing it. In the end deleting the file first before reuploading it fixed the issue for me in that case.

No idea if it will work for you, but it's worth a shot.

On 7/23/2022 at 11:07 AM, teraßyte said:

Have you tried deleting the Db.php file before reuploading/overwriting it? It happened to me once that a file was somehow "stuck" and it wouldn't work no matter how many times I tried replacing it. In the end deleting the file first before reuploading it fixed the issue for me in that case.

No idea if it will work for you, but it's worth a shot.

I've tried that as well with no luck.

Now three weeks of downtime and I'm still at a dead end. GoDaddy Support is worse than useless since they don't track issues, you have to start with a fresh slate each time you contact them and explain the issue from the start to where you're at. 

It's very frustrating being a non-technical person and trying to support a website that is a hobby and feeling like there is probably a simple answer but I just can't find the person who knows it. We've had this very same issue before and it seems like it just takes dumb luck between IPS and GoDaddy getting the right support person who actually knows and understands the issues. 

The suite not being able to load that single file is clearly some kind of permission issue with the server. You could try bypassing that error screen with the UPGRADE_MD5_CHECK constant, but that wouldn't resolve the root issue and the upgrader might still break later on.

I guess your last resort would be to change hosting...? 🙄

As mentioned, you could bypass it just to get your site back online. The problem with doing this, is you dont know if your server is seeing an old version of the file, or if permissions are incorrect what other implications it will have for the upgrade. And of course you will have the same problem on the next upgrade as you havent really solved the issue.

If you do decide to do this, please ensure you remove the line afterwards, as leaving it there will never check anything. Which could cause you a lot more issues.

We are still trying to resolve the issue with getting our forums back online after kicking out during the last upgrade.  We have been down for a month which after growing our forums for 15 years with  Invision is killing our membership.

A question for the Invision reps-  Back in March we had an issue with our site being down because of the upgrade but then the next two upgrades went without issue.  Now the most recent upgrade kicked us out again and now we are down.  Is there any reason you can think of as to why the two previous upgrades went through without issue but the one before and after kicked us out?  I am just trying to determine if the two kick outs impacted any settings that killed us that we should focus on looking at with our hosting provider.

Needless to say, this is all very discouraging and we would welcome any help.

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, GreatAdventureHistory said:

We are still trying to resolve the issue with getting our forums back online after kicking out during the last upgrade.  We have been down for a month which after growing our forums for 15 years with  Invision is killing our membership.

A question for the Invision reps-  Back in March we had an issue with our site being down because of the upgrade but then the next two upgrades went without issue.  Now the most recent upgrade kicked us out again and now we are down.  Is there any reason you can think of as to why the two previous upgrades went through without issue but the one before and after kicked us out?  I am just trying to determine if the two kick outs impacted any settings that killed us that we should focus on looking at with our hosting provider.

Needless to say, this is all very discouraging and we would welcome any help.

Thanks.

Looking in your previous tickets, this was all resolved by your hosting provider. It was not something which we intervened with.

There were database connection errors, PHP errors with sessions, and PHP errors with not being able to read files (namely the Db.php file again). All these were resolved by your hosting provider. I am sorry that I do not have better news for you. My only suggestion is if you keep having problems and your hosting provider is not willing to work with you, it may be time to find a new provider.

The runaround continues...

Here is the latest information from GoDaddy Hosting Tech Support:

we aren't familiar with the software that you are using and we do not have any training for that. So we can only check their software's requirement if it fits our hosting that we offer if they would require a VPS or dedicated server for that.
Checking on the screenshot that you had provided, I checked the db.php file and it shows the permission is set to 644 which is the correct permission. Along its folder path, the permissions are all set as well.
Also, Not really seeing this to be a server issue, it shows on the screenshot provided that the file that is currently on the server is not the correct version for the software update that had uploaded. Seems to be an issue with their files.
"Some source files are not correct for the current version"

Confirmed that the file is there and no issues with the hosting itself.
Test file uploaded to the db.php file folder, shows to be loading.
https://www.greatadventurehistory.com/Forums/system/Db/geoff.php

Just now, GreatAdventureHistory said:

Can we get a quote on hosting our forums/galleries based on our current configuration sent to our email?

Please be advised I have transferred your request to our sales department. Please check your email for further correspondence.

On 8/11/2022 at 3:03 PM, GreatAdventureHistory said:

The runaround continues...

Here is the latest information from GoDaddy Hosting Tech Support:

we aren't familiar with the software that you are using and we do not have any training for that. So we can only check their software's requirement if it fits our hosting that we offer if they would require a VPS or dedicated server for that.
Checking on the screenshot that you had provided, I checked the db.php file and it shows the permission is set to 644 which is the correct permission. Along its folder path, the permissions are all set as well.
Also, Not really seeing this to be a server issue, it shows on the screenshot provided that the file that is currently on the server is not the correct version for the software update that had uploaded. Seems to be an issue with their files.
"Some source files are not correct for the current version"

Confirmed that the file is there and no issues with the hosting itself.
Test file uploaded to the db.php file folder, shows to be loading.
https://www.greatadventurehistory.com/Forums/system/Db/geoff.php

Since I posted this and got no further response or information from IPS Support I'll re-post.

I just re-uploaded the files AGAIN since the message we received from GoDaddy Support was "Some source files are not correct for the current version"

I once again tried to run the update and received the same error message we have been receiving for the past six weeks. 

ONCE AGAIN I am asking for any kind of guidance that might help the GoDaddy Support figure this out or for someone here with IPS to figure out what the hell is wrong. I am tired of nebulous answers here that I then have to supply to GoDaddy who then looks into the issue and finds no problems on their side. SOMEONE must know what is wrong and be able to explain it in the simplest terms that the idiots at GoDaddy can understand. 

I'm afraid, the only recommendation here I would provide is to switch to another provider. As PHP not being able to access a file or your server not being able to correctly overwrite a file is a hosting issue (one which they have resolved previously).

While you evaluate that so you can at least get your community online, you can bypass this check. However, you may just result with a different error during or after the upgrade if this file can't be accessed or is out of date.

You will want to add this to your constants.php file:

define( 'UPGRADE_MD5_CHECK', FALSE );

If you do not have a constants.php file, please create one and add this instead:

<?php

define( 'UPGRADE_MD5_CHECK', FALSE );

NOTE: Once you do upgrade, please be sure to remove this constant immediately. As it may create further issues later on.