Incompatibility with "service workers"

Lately, many of our iOS users reported errors on random occasions and one of the few common patterns was at the checkout stage. They all consistently failed to load the site either at the subscription page level or while checking out irrespective of Stripe or PayPal.

We checked with one of the IPS developers who recently worked on the custom plugin for us and he confirmed that his line of codes doesn't interfere with "service workers".

We have disabled the server firewall, CP Hulk (security feature of cPanel), and even disabled Cloudflare completely to point straight to the server NS record and the problem still exists.

Then we turned to the "WORLD BEST SUPPORT" provider folks at Cpanel who have finally confirmed and identified that IPS JavaScript codes causing this issue.

Could contain: Text, Logo, Trademark, Symbol

Here is the full detail of the investigation and ways to replicate it by using logged-in users to checkout any subscription on any iOS device.

Could contain: Page, Text, Document, Paper, Poster, AdvertisementCould contain: File, Webpage, Interior Design, Indoors, AdvertisementCould contain: File, Webpage, Text, Monitor, Electronics, Screen, DisplayCould contain: Page, Text, Document, Word

Looking further into this, we can see a similar defect report on Safari for this issue:
https://github.com/GoogleChrome/workbox/issues/1730

Here are the attached files for a bigger preview.

Hope to have a quick resolution or patch for this urgent incompatibility issue for over 70% of devices used within our community.

Could contain: Electronics, Screen, Monitor, Display, Text, File, Computer

Could contain: Text, Word, File, Page

Could contain: Text, File, Menu

While I understand you said a plugin you have doesnt interfere with the service workers, you dont seem to have confirmed here that you have tested this with it disabled. You need to ensure you have tested this completely with all 3rd party items disabled.

In the meantime, I have tagged our developers on this to advise further

1 hour ago, Marc Stridgen said:

While I understand you said a plugin you have doesnt interfere with the service workers, you dont seem to have confirmed here that you have tested this with it disabled.

Yes, I did disable that plugin as it was the most recently developed one.

You can test it too, just make sure to enable it after testing as it has many features that our site relies on.

APP - Drives 1.0.7

and

Single Drive & Waitlist 1.3.6

1 hour ago, Marc Stridgen said:

You need to ensure you have tested this completely with all 3rd party items disabled.

Yes, I have tested with all 3rd party apps and plugin disabled twice.

If you need to re-verify, please do it from 2 AM - 4 AM (Dubai time) and make sure to re-enable all the plugins and apps you disable while testing, please.

11 minutes ago, Gauravk said:

If you need to re-verify, please do it from 2 AM - 4 AM (Dubai time) and make sure to re-enable all the plugins and apps you disable while testing, please.

We are unable to schedule standard support at set times of day unfortunately. If these are disabled, these would generally only be disabled for a short number of minutes at a time. Please confirm you wish for us to go ahead with support on this

Thanks for helping with the investigation.

I'm getting the error on random pages with my iPhone with updated iOS 15 and updated safari browser.

You can use any iOS device and go to the homepage and click on the join now, back to the forum, back to the homepage and you will experience it failing too.

Sure shot: You can log in and try buying the subscription and use PayPal as an option, but it will surely fail. The majority of iOS devices are failing to pay by credit card. But I'm asking you to test with PayPal as it has another step before you actually pay. iOS users fail in both stripe and PayPal options equally.

Thank you Marc, for the quick investigation and for realizing the issue with IPS codes.

Can we please have some quick patch or workaround or some messaging to display to help over 70% of iOS users within our community, please?

31 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

We would have to first create a fix for the issue in order to do that. Once its resolved, we would tend to get fixes out quite quickly for these kinds of things

Many thanks for your understanding.

• 3 months later...
31 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

The error you show there is not related to the service worker. That is that the site cannot be reached entirely. Unfortunately that error is not even coming from the software. Its not getting that far. You would need to contact your hosting company regarding this

I understand it seems like a hosting issue, but it isn't.

As it only happening on subscription pages and payment (product) checkout pages and not through the entire site?