My community is DOWN. Getting the error "Illegal offset type in isset or empty"

This is critical for me at the moment.  My community is down after an attempted move of files back to local storage from Amazon S3.  Everything was running fine prior to me telling the forum software to move files back to local storage from S3.

The error that I am getting is "Illegal offset type in isset or empty"

2022-03-16_11-35-06.jpg.7d952e3e748374ab79e33219e76c2628.jpg

I cannot access the community or the Admin control panel.  I've tried manually copying all of my files back to local storage to no avail.  The files copied fine but I am still not able to get into the forum.

I've also tried restoring from a backup of the forum database taken a few hours prior to moving TO S3 storage, which was also prior to trying to move some of the files BACK FROM S3 storage.  This didn't work either.

HELP!!!!  😞

• 2 months later...

Hey there.  I am doing the same thing the original poster did.  I was moving back to local from S3 and part of the way through I got this error.  Taking the hint from @Marc Stridgen above, I did manually move the index.html back to my uploads directory, but I'm still getting this error.

... it looks like it happened when I hit the theme resources object.  Is there a folder I can manually copy down from S3?  I was doing this process to clean and organize my upload folder.  Previously, everything was uploaded to the uploads directory in one lump.  I moved everything to a single bucket on S3.  I started creating a folder for each option and was moving things back down.

I've gotten a little bit further and I'm now getting an error message

"IPS\File\Exception: CANNOT_MAKE_DIR (6)
#0 /home/ddowdell/public_html/cheersandgears.com/system/File/FileSystem.php(306): IPS\File\_FileSystem->getFolder()
#1 /home/ddowdell/public_html/cheersandgears.com/system/File/File.php(351): IPS\File\_FileSystem->save()
#2 /home/ddowdell/public_html/cheersandgears.com/system/Theme/Theme.php(729): IPS\_File::create('core_Theme', '84c1e40ea0e759e...', '\x89PNG\r\n\x1A\n\x00\x00\x00\rIHD...', 'set_resources_0', true, NULL, false)
#3 /home/ddowdell/public_html/cheersandgears.com/system/Theme/Theme.php(4515) : eval()'d code(390): IPS\_Theme->resource('/', 'core', 'global', false)
#4 /home/ddowdell/public_html/cheersandgears.com/system/Theme/Theme.php(5368): IPS\Theme\css_core_admin___core_css()
#5 /home/ddowdell/public_html/cheersandgears.com/system/Theme/Theme.php(2576): IPS\_Theme::writeCss(Array)
#6 /home/ddowdell/public_html/cheersandgears.com/system/Theme/Theme.php(641): IPS\_Theme->compileCss('core', 'admin', 'core', 'core.css')
#7 /home/ddowdell/public_html/cheersandgears.com/system/Dispatcher/Admin.php(96): IPS\_Theme->css('core.css', 'core', 'admin')
#8 /home/ddowdell/public_html/cheersandgears.com/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(110): IPS\Dispatcher\_Admin->init()
#9 /home/ddowdell/public_html/cheersandgears.com/admin/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher::i()
#10 {main}"

7 minutes ago, CheersnGears said:

I've gotten a little bit further and I'm now getting an error message

"IPS\File\Exception: CANNOT_MAKE_DIR (6)
#0 /home/ddowdell/public_html/cheersandgears.com/system/File/FileSystem.php(306): IPS\File\_FileSystem->getFolder()
#1 /home/ddowdell/public_html/cheersandgears.com/system/File/File.php(351): IPS\File\_FileSystem->save()
#2 /home/ddowdell/public_html/cheersandgears.com/system/Theme/Theme.php(729): IPS\_File::create('core_Theme', '84c1e40ea0e759e...', '\x89PNG\r\n\x1A\n\x00\x00\x00\rIHD...', 'set_resources_0', true, NULL, false)
#3 /home/ddowdell/public_html/cheersandgears.com/system/Theme/Theme.php(4515) : eval()'d code(390): IPS\_Theme->resource('/', 'core', 'global', false)
#4 /home/ddowdell/public_html/cheersandgears.com/system/Theme/Theme.php(5368): IPS\Theme\css_core_admin___core_css()
#5 /home/ddowdell/public_html/cheersandgears.com/system/Theme/Theme.php(2576): IPS\_Theme::writeCss(Array)
#6 /home/ddowdell/public_html/cheersandgears.com/system/Theme/Theme.php(641): IPS\_Theme->compileCss('core', 'admin', 'core', 'core.css')
#7 /home/ddowdell/public_html/cheersandgears.com/system/Dispatcher/Admin.php(96): IPS\_Theme->css('core.css', 'core', 'admin')
#8 /home/ddowdell/public_html/cheersandgears.com/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(110): IPS\Dispatcher\_Admin->init()
#9 /home/ddowdell/public_html/cheersandgears.com/admin/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher::i()
#10 {main}"

This would be a permissions issue on the server, I'm afraid. You would want to ensure that the uploads folder and all sub-folders are writable and are owned by the correct user/group.

17 minutes ago, CheersnGears said:

Hey there.  I am doing the same thing the original poster did.  I was moving back to local from S3 and part of the way through I got this error.  Taking the hint from @Marc Stridgen above, I did manually move the index.html back to my uploads directory, but I'm still getting this error.

... it looks like it happened when I hit the theme resources object.  Is there a folder I can manually copy down from S3?  I was doing this process to clean and organize my upload folder.  Previously, everything was uploaded to the uploads directory in one lump.  I moved everything to a single bucket on S3.  I started creating a folder for each option and was moving things back down.

What my colleague mentioned at the original poster here was related to the datastore rather than the uploads folder. If that clarification helps any.

17 minutes ago, Jim M said:

This would be a permissions issue on the server, I'm afraid. You would want to ensure that the uploads folder and all sub-folders are writable and are owned by the correct user/group.

What my colleague mentioned at the original poster here was related to the datastore rather than the uploads folder. If that clarification helps any.

2 of the new data stores are empty. Can I throw a blank index.html in there?

14 hours ago, CheersnGears said:

Very very strange! I created 10 other folders exactly the same way and they all got 755 permissions. I created a theme_resources folder and for no reason at all it got 666 permissions. Set it to 755 and it’s all resolved.

@Jim M I think I’d like to submit a bug report. That same folder, when I assigned another file type to it in storage settings had its permissions jump back to 0666. Setting it to 0755 brings the site back, which is expected behavior, but moving certain file type/groups had it flip to 666.

On 6/17/2022 at 7:17 AM, CheersnGears said:

@Jim M I think I’d like to submit a bug report. That same folder, when I assigned another file type to it in storage settings had its permissions jump back to 0666. Setting it to 0755 brings the site back, which is expected behavior, but moving certain file type/groups had it flip to 666.

Unfortunately, this is generally set by your server's configuration, rather than the software itself. We generally tell the server to create a folder and it specifies permissions, ownership, etc...

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

Unfortunately, this is generally set by your server's configuration, rather than the software itself. We generally tell the server to create a folder and it specifies permissions, ownership, etc...

Right, but the folder was already created and set with the correct permissions. The file group Theme Resources was already set to that location and the site was working properly.  I set another file group to that same location and the file permissions for that folder flipped back to 0666 after I had set it to 0755

8 minutes ago, CheersnGears said:

Right, but the folder was already created and set with the correct permissions. The file group Theme Resources was already set to that location and the site was working properly.  I set another file group to that same location and the file permissions for that folder flipped back to 0666 after I had set it to 0755

Unfortunately, again, we would not control that. We do not set permissions in this process.