Caching on uploaded images gallery

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

Hi,

I've just seen when you upload one or more images into an empty gallery (maybe into a full one too), once the upload is finished you get back to your gallery but you don't see a single image you've just uploaded ! You need to wait a few minutes until the cache is refresh then you see your pictures... That could be a bit disturbing for users who do not know what a "cached interface" could mean...

Thankyou for your attention,

D

If you are a logged in user (which I believe this is what you're referring to), there is no caching on content itself in the software. Logged in users view content (apart from blocks/widgets) in real-time. I would suggest checking with your hosting provider to ensure that you do not have any caching at the server-level which is causing what you're seeing here.

I've not enabled any server's cache by myself. I'm testing on a "from scratch" install of the community, so there are neither any plugin nor application that could interfere. I'll ask to the hosting provider, but In other sites I manage on the same hosting account, I don't have that kind of problems...

OK, so I've just asked the hosting provider and there is no such cache in the mutualized servers. Through our discussions they've rised an interesting point : it does not concern a direct link on a picture, but more the interface displaying the image (the "place" for the images are not displayed with an empty image, there is just nothing). So it really looks like a cached interface by the CMS...

Edited by Dexter_X

Hi, thankyou.

1. Fresh install of invision community containing gallery module ;
  2. Upload 2 o 3 images into the default "users album" already available for demonstration :
    1. ...by clicking on Navigation => Gallery, then Add Images ;
    2. add 1 to 3 images ;
    3. wait the uploads complete then click on "submit all images";
  3. After that you land directly on the album's content images : you cannot see the pictures you've just uploaded (empty album) and will need to refresh the album until "something" (cache or the problem delaying it) makes the images appear.

It works with any images, but here are the ones i've used for testing.

question.png.3bc88d9d6082ec451e1d8f8d4e2b8619.png2604db73c19af0f1d0f54f47609fa14c.jpg.0b86aed0f5400895729c2922a575117c.jpgdexter_look.png.a5288aaae5c1375b54b8168afe6ab228.png

I've also tested by creating other galleries but nothing makes it better...

Edited by Dexter_X

3 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

I am not able to replicate this at all on a new instance of the platform. Could you please let me know if you are happy for me to post on your site, or your test site if you still have that set up?

I still have the test setup, how do I give you the access ?

(in which site did you post something ?)

I can also record a video if it can be useful (?)

Edited by Dexter_X

Hello again... so... while trying to make the video I've switched back to english the used language (I'm using this test installation to make a french translation) then in english the problem is not there (!?). If I switch back to french, the problem cames back (!!).
I've made the video anyway to show you how it behaves in both languages, you'll find it in attached file. For information : Test2 gallery is filled under default/english version, and test gallery under current french translation.

[video removed : I can send it back to you if needed]

Is it still useful I give you access to my test community ?

Edited by Dexter_X

2 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Of course there are however variables and the likes in language strings at times and indeed small code snippets. So if you have translated on an older release, it may well be one of those has changed

are there such changes between 4.6.7 and 4.6.8 ? (I've begun the translation at 4.6.7)

1 hour ago, Marc Stridgen said:

There will have been changes between those versions, yes

ok, so... is there a way to retrieve the entire XML original strings values in english so I can see what has changed (in next version) ?
If I try to download the original english translation, I got an empty XML file (just a header) ... 

Or maybe there is already a changelog somewhere with the list of modified strings ?

4 minutes ago, Dexter_X said:

ok, so... is there a way to retrieve the entire XML original strings values in english so I can see what has changed (in next version) ?
If I try to download the original english translation, I got an empty XML file (just a header) ... 

Or maybe there is already a changelog somewhere with the list of modified strings ?

In the AdminCP translation interface, you can use the 'out of date' filter at the top of the table. This will show you any default strings that have been changed since you translated them. Likewise, you can use the 'untranslated' filter to see any new strings that have been added.

57 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

In the AdminCP translation interface, you can use the 'out of date' filter at the top of the table. This will show you any default strings that have been changed since you translated them. Likewise, you can use the 'untranslated' filter to see any new strings that have been added.

I've no "out of date" strings in the list. But "out of date" does not mean they're not used anymore ?

Anyway, I had not finished my translation (I'm even very far from it), maybe I've not modified any string impacted by the version change. But here it seems to be some problem regarding an already translated string changed between the two latest versions (?)...

You must agree : translation is not a simple task to perform neither to maintain...

Naturally creating a new language pack is a project that requires a lot of effort.

It doesn't sound like you've modified a string that has changed (it would be listed on under that filter). If we delete a core string, when you upgrade it will remove it from your language packs.

For the issue at hand, I would recommend taking a look at the browser developer tools, specifically at the console to see if any errors are shown when this issue occurs.