AWS Simple Email Service with Bounce Management

1 minute ago, Daniel F said:

What aws/guzzle version are you using in your app @Jon Erickson?

AWS: 3.235.14

Guzzle: 7.5.0

2 hours ago, jesuralem said:

Hi @Jon Erickson, in relation to this topic, can you check if the reply-to is lost somewhere between your app and SES ? It looks like SES supports it :

Yeah, no problem. Looks like I need to examine another function argument. No problem. Will update soon. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, noob questions...  I set everything up and it sends perfectly.  When setting up subscriptions in SNS to get bounces and complaints, I still have "Pending confirmation"... how long should this take?

Also, for the "?key=APIKEY" added to the end of the endpoint URL for the subscription, APIKEY is literal, not the actual API key, correct?

34 minutes ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Hello, noob questions...  I set everything up and it sends perfectly.  When setting up subscriptions in SNS to get bounces and complaints, I still have "Pending confirmation"... how long should this take?

Also, for the "?key=APIKEY" added to the end of the endpoint URL for the subscription, APIKEY is literal, not the actual API key, correct?

No, you will need to create an actual API key using the instructions and replace APIKEY with it. This is why it is still Pending. Once you have the correct URL ie with the API key, the subscription will confirm itself. 

Some really odd stuff goes on with this app on CiC. Whenever there's a new IPS version, it stops working (no emails logged whatsoever and all emails are sent the standard way), and the only way to get it to work again is to uninstall and reinstall it from the marketplace. But, on many occasions that's not possible due to this:

4C133/6 We could not parse the application.json file for this application because it is missing or corrupt. Please contact the author for an updated copy of this application.

Edited by Dll
On 1/16/2023 at 9:49 PM, Jon Erickson said:

Have you removed the subscription and recreated a new one with the correct URL?

I’ve started over, created new topics and subscriptions with the correct info, and it’s confirmed and working.

The old, incorrect ones are still sitting there in “Pending Confirmation”.  AWS will not allow me to delete them due to the pending confirmation. I thought the system would automatically delete after 3 days, but no.  

Edited by Scotty Hutto

Jon,

1) Looked this morning and 1 of the "bad" subscriptions had cleared... maybe the other will clear in a day or two...

2) My site got upgraded to 4.7.6 by my other admin (inadvertently?  he doesn't usally do that) and the app stopped working.  Should I try to remove and reinstall, or is there an known issue with 4.7.6?

Edited by Scotty Hutto

Removed and re-installed.  Got the same error message at @Dll above.  Cleared the site cache and ran the "purge" tasks, and then it installed fine. 

All is working now!  Thanks @AlexWebsites for pointing me to this app!

Is there a way to prevent the site from switching back to Invision Community in the Cloud servers when this happens?  Maybe set SMTP (using AWS SES SMTP settings) as the fall-back?  My site generates thousands of errors when it goes back to the Community in the Cloud servers, creating a huge (>5GB) email error file. I have to have Invision Tech Support delete the file before I can do anything else, which is a pain for them and me.

Thanks guys!

Edited by Scotty Hutto
9 hours ago, Jon Erickson said:

I haven’t seen the screen before. Did you go to the IAM section of AWS and create a new user? If you did, this may be a new screen and I would just use third-party service.

Yes.  I have created new user. Screen seems changed because I google and other tutorials had different screen as well. 

Thanks for quick response. I will ask next step if I get stuck anywhere. - Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

All is working well, just wondering if you can advise where/how to "Please enable the PHP IMAP extension to the view the source."  Is this a setting in Admin CP, AWS, or something an admin for Invision Communities has to do??

Scott

Could contain: File, Webpage, Person

Edited by Scotty Hutto
12 minutes ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Hello,

All is working well, just wondering if you can advise where/how to "Please enable the PHP IMAP extension to the view the source."  Is this a setting in Admin CP, AWS, or something an admin for Invision Communities has to do??

Scott

Could contain: File, Webpage, Person

It’s a module that needs to be compiled into your php installation.  That’s something your host will need to help with or if you have access to the server yourself, something you add to your PHP compile.