Are all notifications marked as read when bell is clicked?

Hi there, I had a question from a community member about this but want to confirm it definitely isn't a bug or feature change.

What I want to know is, regardless of the number of notifications, are they supposed to be marked as read as soon as you click on the notification bell, or are they supposed to only be marked as read after I've physically scrolled through and read them?

If it's the former, this is my follow up question;

Is there a setting that allows users to continue seeing the notifications as 'unread' if they have not been viewed or furthermore been clicked?

Edited by Anthony Cameron

It is currently intended that the count of new notifications will be reset which appears next to the notification bell when clicked and the notifications will be marked as seen when re-opening the notification window.

I'm afraid, that there are no further settings for changing this but I have moved this to our Feature Suggestions forum for further evaluation.

39 minutes ago, Jim M said:

It is currently intended that the count of new notifications will be reset which appears next to the notification bell when clicked and the notifications will be marked as seen when re-opening the notification window.

I'm afraid, that there are no further settings for changing this but I have moved this to our Feature Suggestions forum for further evaluation.

Hey Jim! Thanks! That's pretty much what I told my member, I just wanted to be sure, but those notification options sure would be handy, thanks again.

• 11 months later...

I've also received this feedback from multiple members and communities, that members find it confusing they are all marked as unread when opening the notifications. 

On 8/16/2021 at 7:36 PM, Jim M said:

Has there been any more discussion on this internally?

Yes, the current behavior of the notification reading status is extremely inconvenient.
This problem has plagued users for many years. There are a lot of topics about this in the feedback section, and it has been discussed for years.

Edited by 13.

To be honest, I quite like the fact that all notifications are 'read' when you click the bell icon...

But that's mostly because I get a LOT of unnecessary/outdated notifications (i.e. approval requests that have already been seen to by moderators by the time I wake up), so I'd be up for fixing this issue if IPS worked on this a little bit to make Notifications a bit more useful and organised.

I suggested this already in this topic:

Personally, Notifications could do with a bit of an overhaul anyway. Having notifications remain unread while I get inundated with 'junk' notifications doesn't sound like a great time to me. So would prefer the above be looked at first honestly.

14 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

To be honest, I quite like the fact that all notifications are 'read' when you click the bell icon...

But that's mostly because I get a LOT of unnecessary/outdated notifications

Then you might have a "Mark All as Read" button ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 hours ago, 13. said:

Then you might have a "Mark All as Read" button ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wouldn't use a "mark all as read" button. I want to read my notifications - just not get swamped with out-dated ones. I think you misunderstood the issue I was talking about.

On 8/17/2022 at 3:25 PM, Day_ said:

Would be nice if they remained bold until clicked, like Facebook does, maybe include the dot as well.

I would also find it better if the notifications are only considered read when you click on them or mark them all as read via a separate button.