WebHosting ?

Depending on the size of your board (both activity of users and posts, resources, files, etc) you can base your specification requirements upon that. If it's a relatively small board, 2 CPUs, 2 GB RAM and 2-4GB disk space. It's usually up to the webmaster's preference on how much they're willing to spend on hosting and your hosting needs.

Ask yourself, how will you be managing your VPS (virtual private server)? Will it be exclusively through a terminal using SSH? Or will you be opting to use a control panel such as Plesk, Cpanel, or Direct Admin, to name a few? What other products or services will you be installing on your VPS? How many members and active visitors (guests too) do you anticipate online, not throughout the day, but at a single point?  You generally want enough to run everything you're planing, plus room to grow, plus the unexpected.

If you plan on managing your VPS with only the terminal using SSH and you have experienced optimizing your configuration. Plus, your site is relatively new; I would suggest at a minimum 1 core with 2GB of ram. If you do not have any experience optimizing your configuration, 2 cores with 3 GB of ram  If you're using a control panel, 4 cores with 8+ GB ram.

Currently the all web site is on a dedicated server (X10QBL-4CT), I am considering a VPS for the forum (each subdomain will be on a different server). I use webmin. The number of membres ±1000, visitors between 5 to 100. I am considering testing, alternate web hosting, because the current server is too expensive in terms of electricity.

Edited by MEVi

1 hour ago, MEVi said:

Currently the all web site is on a dedicated server (X10QBL-4CT), I am considering a VPS for the forum (each subdomain will be on a different server). I use webmin. The number of membres ±1000, visitors between 5 to 100. I am considering testing, alternate web hosting, because the current server is too expensive in terms of electricity.

Are you hosting it from home?

1 hour ago, MEVi said:

Yes

Are you looking for an SSH terminal based VPS or a Windows Server VPS? If Windows Server, you'll need to purchase a legitimate license (product key) for it. For a VPS I'd say you'd need perhaps 2GB RAM, 20GB (?) disk space (depending on the size of your home directory) and 2 Core CPU which would handle it fine.

1 hour ago, MEVi said:

I search VPS Linux, 2GB RAM, 50GB SSD, Dedicate IP, Backup every 24h relocated,

If you seek a provider for your VPS (virtual private server) needs, please allow me to make the following suggestions.  These are providers I am currently actively using for my own VPS needs.

https://us.ovhcloud.com
https://www.ionos.com

I don’t trust hosting provider backups. A second VPS, with another provider, in another data center with sufficient storage for data and configuration backups. That VPS can be less CPU and RAM intensive, mine is 1 core with 1gb RAM, but may require larger amounts of disk space depending upon your needs. 

I run a couple of small forums, a handful of Wordpress sites, and the entire Atlassian suite on a single VPS, 8 cores, 32gb of RAM. Generally using about 12gb with another 4-6gb cache. I’m also using webmin. 

You should also consider if you’re going to be using the server for other services, e.g. email or others. 

12 hours ago, MEVi said:

which operating System would be best Debian or CentOS ?

FYI: Are you aware CentOS is being discontinued?

CentOS 8 support is reaching its end-of-life phase this year (December 2021). While I believe they have extended support for CentOS 7 into 2024 because it was already widely adopted. It is true they may be offering a CentOS Stream, which is a rolling release, but the days of a solid release, I fear, are over (in my opinion). I have found SUSE to be an acceptable replacement. There has been nothing I could not do in SUSE that I was not already doing in CentOS.

My personal preference for OSs (operating systems) for server use is Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, and Arch Linux. Many providers do not typically offer Arch Linux, but converting a Debian install into an Arch Linux install is relatively straightforward.

If you mind me asking, what is your OS of choice for your hosting needs?

Edited by Linux-Is-Best
specified v7 extended support

On 3/23/2021 at 3:52 PM, Aiwa said:

I don’t trust hosting provider backups. A second VPS, with another provider, in another data center with sufficient storage for data and configuration backups.

Absolutely this. Things happen, even to big name brands. Take just recently for example, a major brand webhost had such an incident where they had a data centre in France get completely decimated in a fire, which caused outages to millions of websites.

Edited by Tripp★

I currently rely on an rsync cron run daily. The scripts are easy enough to make to ensure you get everything you need backed up. Configuration, databases, folders with dynamic content (user uploads). I have had to use the backups twice in 10 years, sadly. Though one of them was an on demand backup, manually trigger the backup task, so I could migrate more easily to another server. Just make absolutely sure that you’ve got a secure connection between servers. 

On 3/23/2021 at 7:30 PM, Aiwa said:

If you’re not running any other applications on your server, have you looked at IPS hosting? I may be wrong, but I think they have/had some deal with migrating from self hosted to cloud. 

On 3/25/2021 at 3:41 PM, Jordan Invision said:

😍

That's an expensive option. :laugh: :ph34r:

Myself and @rymich13 use CentOS 8.3 for our cPanel server. our entire dedicated server is virtualised using VMware ESXi. We have Linux and Windows Server virtual machines. We use OVHcloud for our server and our specs are:

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) E-2236 CPU @ 3.40GHz (12 logical cores, 6 cores 12 threads)
RAM: 32 GB DDR4
8 TB hard disk

We run the Linux VM as the cPanel server and Windows Server for TCAdmin as we run game servers. We're essentially a starting game community (merged and brought back from my old gaming community and clan from 2007)

Edited by Kyle F

@Kyle F Ah, ESXi. I have a love/hate relationship. I use it at work almost daily. I manage 3 servers, each running 15+ VM’s. DEV, TEST, and PROD RC. Mostly Windows with a couple small Ubuntu VM’s for applications that run better on *nix OS’s. 

The toys we get to play with in an enterprise setting. Each server is mil spec ( needed for high vibration/shock offshore oil rig installation ). Each server costs ~$30k. ( glad I don’t foot the bill for these puppies )

specs:

(2) 10 core CPU @ 3.(?)Ghz, don’t remember the model , 128Gb DDR4 RAM, 12TB SSD in RAID10. 

All of the individual components, capacitors, expansion cards, CPU, RAM, DOM, etc, are all held in place with some type of silicone compound to handle the vibration and shock. We could drop these servers from 10 feet and they’ll keep ticking. 

8 minutes ago, Aiwa said:

@Kyle F Ah, ESXi. I have a love/hate relationship. I use it at work almost daily. I manage 3 servers, each running 15+ VM’s. DEV, TEST, and PROD RC. Mostly Windows with a couple small Ubuntu VM’s for applications that run better on *nix OS’s. 

The toys we get to play with in an enterprise setting. Each server is mil spec ( needed for high vibration/shock offshore oil rig installation ). Each server costs ~$30k. ( glad I don’t foot the bill for these puppies )

specs:

(2) 10 core CPU @ 3.(?)Ghz, don’t remember the model , 128Gb DDR4 RAM, 12TB SSD in RAID10. 

All of the individual components, capacitors, expansion cards, CPU, RAM, DOM, etc, are all held in place with some type of silicone compound to handle the vibration and shock. We could drop these servers from 10 feet and they’ll keep ticking. 

I wouldn't want to be the guy to test drop these then... I'd have a heart attack! :laugh:

CenOS 8 is indeed at the end of its life, so it will be use Ubuntu. When choosing a VPS some operators offer to take KernelCare, Is this relevant ?

@Claudia999,

Hosteurope does indeed offer interesting rates. But what if there is a problem with the server, does the technical support charge additional fees?

@The Heff,

Ioso does indeed offer interesting rates (+DNSSEC). But what if there is a problem with the server, does the technical support charge additional fees?

@Aiwa,

I agree with you it is necessary to take a second operator on the condition that it does not subtract by depending on our first host.

@Tripp★,

OVH I will drop it, I have a contact who lost his forum, because the archives were also stored in the same datacenter, a nonsense.

Edited by MEVi

On 3/23/2021 at 5:16 PM, CoffeeCake said:

If you require specifications that large, I'd encourage you to consider Azure, AWS, DigitalOcean, Google Cloud Platform, etc. There may be a bit of a learning curve, but all of them have good documentation.

My members don't want to hear about DigitalOcean anymore, we had to block all the IPs of this operator. Google Cloud no thank you, already that our members want us to be independent of Google. IBM Cloud why not...

Just now, Linux-Is-Best
12 hours ago, MEVi said:

which operating System would be best Debian or CentOS ?

FYI: Are you aware CentOS is being discontinued?

CentOS 8 support is reaching its end-of-life phase this year (December 2021). While I believe they have extended support for CentOS 7 into 2024 because it was already widely adopted. It is true they may be offering a CentOS Stream, which is a rolling release, but the days of a solid release, I fear, are over (in my opinion). I have found SUSE to be an acceptable replacement. There has been nothing I could not do in SUSE that I was not already doing in CentOS.

My personal preference for OSs (operating systems) for server use is Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, and Arch Linux. Many providers do not typically offer Arch Linux, but converting a Debian install into an Arch Linux install is relatively straightforward.

If you mind me asking, what is your OS of choice for your hosting needs?

You should check out Rocky Linux which is set to be a direct replacement for CentOS.