MySQL 5.7 vs MariaDB 10.3

MySQL 5.7 vs MariaDB 10.3  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been running MySQL for years and there are various topics on here regarding those who are using MariaDB. I just upgraded all my sites to 4.5 and moved to PHP 7.4 while still on MySQL 5.6, now EOL. I'm inclined to just move to MySQL 5.7 and call it a day, but was wondering what everyone's thoughts were about moving to MariaDB 10.3 instead. Any real benefits? 

I've added a poll, just wondering what everyone uses. What does IPS use for their hosted customers?

13 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:

What nonsense, just curious

MariaDB was forked from MySQL by the original creator to create MariaDB and the MariaDB Foundation. Many of the original MySQL developers moved to the fork, and most major linux distributions include MariaDB. It was created directly following concerns when Sun Microsystems, who owned the project, was being bought by Oracle and, Oracle had longstanding reputations surrounding licensing and their approach to open source projects.

Here's a presentation from the founder of MySQL that goes into the rationale:
https://mariadb.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/MySQL-MariaDB-story.pdf

• 2 weeks later...