Truncated email notifications

BankFodder

I notice that on the new version 4.5, email notifications are truncated.

I understand the excellent reason for this because rather than giving the full message on the email, it will bring people into the forum.

However, for busy site team members, it causes unnecessary work to have to open every email and then to visit the forum thread to see what is being discussed.

It would be very handy to be able to configure email notifications so that they are truncated for ordinary users and displayed in full for site team.

How about it?

I had this issue too after the 4.5 update. One of our users pinged me about the notifications no longer being full-text.

Have you checked to see if System > Settings > Email Settings > Truncate Content is toggled?

It was suddenly toggled on after the 4.5 update. I can't honestly remember if it was a setting I turned off way back on 4.1 that got re-enabled, or if it's something new, but it seems to have fixed the problem.

Okay well what we are looking for is the ability to attribute truncate/not truncate to groups.

At the moment it is global in settings/emails/truncate.not truncate  so that the decision to truncate an email applies to everybody including site team.

We really need it in group settings so that each group can be configured individually to receive truncated new post notifications or not truncated new post notifications.

I think this would be a very popular plug-in and it's a bit of a mystery as to why Invision haven't made this standard – unless they hadn't thought about it

Edited by BankFodder

There is a technical challenge to implement this (it's honestly the same reason we don't have group-based advertisements in emails right now). For something like Sendgrid, we compile the email and use replacement variables to swap out the email variables (username, etc.). We do this per-language right now, but we'd have to start doing it per-language per-group in order to implement per-group options within emails.

2 hours ago, bfarber said:

There is a technical challenge to implement this (it's honestly the same reason we don't have group-based advertisements in emails right now). For something like Sendgrid, we compile the email and use replacement variables to swap out the email variables (username, etc.). We do this per-language right now, but we'd have to start doing it per-language per-group in order to implement per-group options within emails.

I think this would be a welcome change and should be considered for your backlog for future improvement. Generally considering the segregation of user levels and user preferences is probably a good idea for new features and enhancements. There's probably always a use case for "this special group of people should be able to get something different and/or choose to get something different."

On 9/4/2020 at 12:14 PM, Paul E. said:

I think this would be a welcome change and should be considered for your backlog for future improvement. Generally considering the segregation of user levels and user preferences is probably a good idea for new features and enhancements. There's probably always a use case for "this special group of people should be able to get something different and/or choose to get something different."

It's on our radar, yes. It's not an insurmountable technical limitation, I just wanted to clarify that there was a reason this hasn't been implemented just yet.

• 2 months later...