Google search console slow site issue after upgrade to 4.4.3

Hi Guys,

2 screens from google search console of 2 huge polish sites on IPB, both upgraded on 24.04. to 4.4.3.
For users site works in general fine, but for google we are loosing time for page load, it means huge issues with google indexing pages. IPB teams needs to work ASAP on this topic!!!
@bfarber @Matt @Charles This is extremally important for every IPB site owner!!!

What have You broken on last upgrade?

Other guys - could You check Your stats on google search console?

screenshot-1.png

image-2019-05-27-15-47-18-454.png

Over 500 concurrent user online right now. Over 11 000 000 posts, 35 000 images in gallery, 140 000 blog entries.

We have loose traffic recently, but it was before upgrade and it has another reasons that we are aware of. Right after upgrade the traffic is slightly back.

3 minutes ago, opentype said:

To check what? I don’t even know what “huge issues” your screenshot should demonstrate. 

I assume he means time spent downloading the page. It has increased on this graph and it looks like indeed like an issue with loading time. 

13 minutes ago, Sonya* said:

I assume he means time spent downloading the page. It has increased on this graph and it looks like indeed like an issue with loading time. 

Those values will always fluctuate. It is NOT a measure of site performance, let alone suitable to compare different software versions. When I look through my sites, I see one stat rising for a WordPress site for example I haven’t touched at all. The loading time will always change since the crawler is constantly downloading different stuff. The Search Console is the wrong tool to measure site performance. And none of my 3 IPS communities show anything suspicious regarding the crawling speed in Search Console. 

And I won’t even address this assertion parade of slower load → lesser pages indexed → IPS must be to blame for my search traffic  …

9 hours ago, opentype said:

It is NOT a measure of site performance

It is still a valuable hint. You can see on my graph a peak in the middle of April. There was indeed a temporarily issue with database that slowed down the site. This was not a "natural" fluctuation. There is a definitely a trend on the graph of the topic starter that is worth to investigate further. But I also doubt that this is a major issue with IPS. 

@yacenty, do you probably have an application that has performance issue. Have you measured speed of all your index pages and also inner pages of every application? Do you use cloud for the images? Is there probably an issue with the cloud? I mean it's could a be a partial issue with only one area that slows down the whole stats.

5 minutes ago, Sonya* said:

@yacenty, do you probably have an application that has performance issue. Have you measured speed of all your index pages and also inner pages of every application? Do you use cloud for the images? Is there probably an issue with the cloud? I mean it's could a be a partial issue with only one area that slows down the whole stats.

sorry, but I do not get Your idea.
How can I measure all index pages? Just now I have over 700k pages in the google index.
We do not use cloud - we serve images on our own - but on subdomain - img, same for static files - js/css. Serving static files gives us 30-50ms of delay. So it should not be a case - all images have 120days of cache.

When I see google analytics page speed timings the average for all day is very vary - from 6s to 9s during the week. In general forums works faster then average, gallery categories works much slower.
Some topics and some gallery images works MUCH SLOWER - like 25s. What is interesting it's random 😛 every day there is different set on slow pages, but the top 10 is:

5 topics - mainly topics with more than 100 pages
3 gallery categories
2 gallery images

The time from analytics is completly different from search console - 7s to 800-900ms. The chart is also different. Bigger time in analytics is != bigger time in search console and viceversa.

1 minute ago, yacenty said:

sorry, but I do not get Your idea.

I mean that only one application is slow and all other are OK. Like forums is OK, blogs is OK, gallery is OK BUT e. g. downloads is due to some configuration issues or plugin or whatever is slow. It would make totally slower speed even if your other pages are loading fast. I would go through all installed applications and measure each one to see if there is an issue with one of them.

We have over 15M posts and 2k+ folks online at a time. Some up tick (slower page load speed on average) in crawl stats since we upgraded a week ago. I'll watch over the next week to see if it's a trend.  I'll check Google analytics as well under user timings. 

19 hours ago, yacenty said:

2 screens from google search console of 2 huge polish sites on IPB, both upgraded on 24.04. to 4.4.3.

What version did you upgrade from? When was your last major upgrade (e.g. 4.3.x to 4.4.x), and were any other changes made recently as well (enabling or disabling Redis or ElasticSearch, or upgrading PHP or MySQL for instance)?

in March we went from 4.3.7 to 4.4.2, on the 24th of April we went to 4.4.3.
On the way we had updated php fron 7.2 to 7.3
redis is on from 09.2018,
Elastic is on from 10.2018.
SQL Server load droped after upgrad to 4.4

image.thumb.png.abca8f9e5db58f33288c29951dfab24c.png

PHP server load droped also

image.thumb.png.59d472ab5b3a8761c313e009db5484b2.png

Analytics page speed is also lower - c.a. 30%

Archived