Stripe Integration - Prepare For SCA Regulation

Stephen Bruce

Just had an email -

'Updating your Stripe integration to prepare for SCA regulation

A new regulatory requirement will introduce 2 factor authentication for many online payments in Europe

Payments that aren't authenticated will be declined...'

Do I need to do anything to prepare for this or has IP already got this covered for us?

• 2 months later...

Beginning in September, Stripe is moving over to a new payment API because many credit cards these days support a form of two-factor authentication (e.g. a charge is made, the user is sent a text message or otherwise asked to login to their bank to confirm the transaction, and then the charge is approved only after the user has done this). This has obvious implications for checkout processes, and more importantly for recurring subscriptions where the user is not present. Software updates were required to support this new functionality Stripe is rolling out (which is necessitated as I understand it by changes to the law across Europe).

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2019 at 3:46 PM, bfarber said:

Beginning in September, Stripe is moving over to a new payment API because many credit cards these days support a form of two-factor authentication (e.g. a charge is made, the user is sent a text message or otherwise asked to login to their bank to confirm the transaction, and then the charge is approved only after the user has done this). This has obvious implications for checkout processes, and more importantly for recurring subscriptions where the user is not present. Software updates were required to support this new functionality Stripe is rolling out (which is necessitated as I understand it by changes to the law across Europe).

Okay, thank you ; after the update, do we need to do special things on our side?

• 3 weeks later...

charge is made, the user is sent a text message or otherwise asked to login to their bank to confirm the transaction, and then the charge is approved only after the user has done this

I am finding this to be a huge pain in the butt and really confusing for me and my users.  (Auth and capture)

What I am finding are loads and loads of "Uncaptured" charges that I am supposed to go into stripe and manually approve, then I have log into ACP of my site and "mark paid"

What a pain!

Additionally customers are confused. They do one of the following

• They might try to purchase again since they are expecting instant delivery of digital goods. Strangely it often is captured on the second or third try
  • OR they get angry and send me a note saying they were charged but no product is delivered. This since the charge is marked "pending" on their card.

Either way for the customer it just seems like the website is broken. AKA a bad experience.

For me it's a pain because now I have 164 manual "uncaptured" charges to go through just from the last 7 days.

ugh, what a mess.

It may be worth reaching out to Stripe if you are seeing issues to ensure everything is working correctly on their end, and that they're not seeing anything odd (i.e. with the API calls we make) that might explain any concerns you've identified. Given that this is a new payment methodology their could be kinks to iron out.

17 hours ago, SJ77 said:

for example I see a lot of this

image.png.86b91c0500563927f5e2b9d71a5cda07.png

notice that there is 2 charges for each thing. One uncaptured stays pending on the customers card for 7 days.

Having gone through the process of updating stripe for SCA on a project that's unrelated to Invision software, I can tell you this isn't normal behaviour if everything is setup correctly.

I don't know anything about the way ips configure their payments module so can't offer any specific advice but I'd recommend reaching out to stripe and also raising a ticket with Invision as something isn't right.

4 hours ago, Dll said:

Having gone through the process of updating stripe for SCA on a project that's unrelated to Invision software, I can tell you this isn't normal behaviour if everything is setup correctly.

I don't know anything about the way ips configure their payments module so can't offer any specific advice but I'd recommend reaching out to stripe and also raising a ticket with Invision as something isn't right.

It only started AFTER the last IPS update.

I agree with Dll. While the stronger security of the new procedure might mean that more users don’t follow through until the end, it shouldn’t make a huge difference. I would also recommend to clarify with Stripe and IPS why you get uncaptured charges in the hundreds. I don’t have a lot of processed Stripe orders since the change, but I don’t see any problems at all in my account. 

On 9/29/2019 at 4:06 AM, Dll said:

I do small transactions. Seems like there are issues with about 6% of the transactions. Something to do with the new (auth and capture) feature.

I don't really know what happens but in almost every case it tries again and clears. But it keeps a hold on the uncaptured payment (shows pending for the customer) making the customer feel they were charged twice!

Occasionally it even happens 3 times. See this example. It's all the same customer. (note prior to this, the customer had no issue on Sept 17)

Thank you 🙂

image.thumb.png.264220a62ab687091e616ee9189b76f8.png

8 hours ago, SJ77 said:

I do small transactions. Seems like there are issues with about 6% of the transactions. Something to do with the new (auth and capture) feature.

I don't really know what happens but in almost every case it tries again and clears. But it keeps a hold on the uncaptured payment (shows pending for the customer) making the customer feel they were charged twice!

Occasionally it even happens 3 times. See this example. It's all the same customer. (note prior to this, the customer had no issue on Sept 17)

Thank you 🙂

image.thumb.png.264220a62ab687091e616ee9189b76f8.png

This is happening to me too and I’m unsure why.

I also get a few uncaptured payments after a while.

I wonder if it has something to do with this?

Card details are stored on Stripe's servers, not your own. Note that 3D Secure isn't performed when using a saved card.

I have noticed that customers used to have no issue and now they do, are all customers needing 3D secure now and have a stored card.

image.thumb.png.553db6856c6b1658b464d22e0a24de45.png

image.thumb.png.6551fbc9ef2b55b71f93b26a1405a05b.png

7 hours ago, SJ77 said:

Any updates from Stripe about this? I am getting lots of folks expressing concern.

Stripe told me that the issue might be with the implementation. Perhaps the authentication window is being closed too soon.

You should try contacting IPS support. If it's happening to multiple IPS communities, perhaps the issue is on IPS' end.

Archived