4.4.2 & PHP 7.3.3 & Redis issue

Adlago

A few months ago after upgrading to 4.4.x I had a problem with Memcached. Cron jobs stopped working, and in the system logs began recording in every minute - "BadMethodCallException:...from Memcached". After a lengthy analysis of my ticket, Matt advised me to switch to Redis. This then solved the issue.

Before several hours, I switched my site to PHP 7.3.3. Everything worked correctly. When reviewing all the ACP functions, I noticed I should replace the command in a Cron jobs with a new addressing to ea-php73. For several hours with php 7.3.3 everything worked correctly with a command to ea-php72.

After changing Cron command,  the same thing happened as with Memcached. Cron stopped working and was recording every minute in System logs: "BadMethodCallException:...from Redis"

I tried a lot of things, my head hurt, and I tried - I switched to Data storage File system method and Cron iobs worked normal and accurate.

PS. Now I have reviewed and my test installation with 4.4.3 beta 2. The same issue exists there.
Please review this - there is a constant mistake in using Redis/Memcached and it will exist in your next release.

11 minutes ago, RevengeFNF said:

I don't have issues and no exceptions in the system logs, using PHP 7.3.4 with Redis.

Do you have the same issue with a new installation with no plugins/apps? 

I have not tested with a new installation. My test site is currently with 4.4.3 beta 2. There is also this issue. I do not use plugins

I had a similar issue when I switched over last month and had to temporarily disable cron tasks.

My network admin was able to fix it and get cron back up and running the same day without having to switch from memcached, and I believe the resolution was downgrading back to php 7.1, because for some reason it won't behave properly with 7.2+ otherwise.  My knowledge pretty much ends there and I can't explain the how or why.

Edited by Alismora

The PHP configuration file (php.ini) can be different for command line PHP vs the PHP used by your webserver, and it's probable you don't have the Redis PHP extension enabled for your command line PHP. This is an issue that would require some level of diagnosis to determine for sure, and then if my assumption is correct, your host would need to assist to enable Redis for command line PHP. Either way, this isn't really feedback (or even a bug report) for the software and I would encourage you to submit a ticket.

4 hours ago, bfarber said:

The PHP configuration file (php.ini) can be different for command line PHP vs the PHP used by your webserver, and it's probable you don't have the Redis PHP extension enabled for your command line PHP. This is an issue that would require some level of diagnosis to determine for sure, and then if my assumption is correct, your host would need to assist to enable Redis for command line PHP. Either way, this isn't really feedback (or even a bug report) for the software and I would encourage you to submit a ticket.

Thanks for your opinion. I described this problem to my host company and the boys there looked at this thoroughly.
They solved this problem.
In your command for Cron, you use this

/opt/cpanel/ea-php73/root/usr/bin/php -d memory_limit=-1 -d max_execution_time=0 /home/...

They changed the command to

/opt/cpanel/ea-php73/root/usr/bin/php -c /home/...

and it all works like a Swiss watch ...

angry frustration GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

• 1 year later...

I had similar problem. Host changed platform and cron did not work if I used Redis. Switching to MySQL or File System worked well.

After trying different things, and turning on igBinary on my main domain (forum is located in subdomain and subdomain is using it's own php settings) I got Redis and cron working again. "Only" 180 pages of error logs 😄 

Just for others having similar problems.