Improved Feature: Note to Reporter

Morgin

You know when you go to warn a member how you can write a note to the user, and a note to mods? Can we add a third note to the original reporter to have a few form responses "thanks for the report, we are reviewing", etc. stuff like that or a custom response field so that when people report they know the report has been seen? I feel I could increase my community's self moderation if people felt reports led to actionable tasks.

This would be good.

Maybe a box to detail what has happened with this report on closure, that would be available for the moderators to see as well as notifying the member.

Twitter does something similar, when you report a user you get an alert to say thank you and what rules they breached.

2 hours ago, marklcfc said:

I always thought the reporter should get a report complete notification when a mod has marked it compete 

I can see some value in that however it should not state the name of the 'completing' staff member really as (a) it may not be relevant and (b) depending on what was reported, several members of staff may of worked on the reported item(s) etc etc.

I'd say:

1. Either do not inform the original reporter of "who" closed the report

or

2. Slightly better, possibly the 'best of both worlds' when the report is marked complete: An option to inform the reporter of who closed it, ideally unchecked by default to avoid possible issues.

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2018 at 5:36 AM, AndyF said:

I can see some value in that however it should not state the name of the 'completing' staff member really as (a) it may not be relevant and (b) depending on what was reported, several members of staff may of worked on the reported item(s) etc etc.

I'd say:

1. Either do not inform the original reporter of "who" closed the report

or

2. Slightly better, possibly the 'best of both worlds' when the report is marked complete: An option to inform the reporter of who closed it, ideally unchecked by default to avoid possible issues.

Id rather the site had a built in “moderator” account that was a single point of contact for the mods to use to interact with members without requiring a separate login. If the site itself generated a notification that the report has been reviewed and closed, that might work too. 

• 5 months later...

I want to bump this.

I get a lot of requests where people self report a post because they want to edit their posts after the editing window has expired, despite numerous points of contact where they are reminded of the time limit in place.

Mostly I want a quick way to respond to the person who reports a post - one solution would be to close the report with a list of custom responses that could be selected i.e. "Thank you for the report, no action was taken. Please review the site rules regarding editing windows". Just something simple and easy to both close a report and have feedback provided to the reporter. 

Current process requires sending a private message, copying and pasting in the report they made, and then answering it. Very inefficient.

Hey @Morgin,

I actually like the concept of this idea. Major networks such as Facebook and Twitter now even inform members when actions have been taken based on their reports, and as the end-user (notably on Twitter), I've always liked the feedback/confirmation that things are being done against abusive users.

So I'd like to make an application to integrate something like this into IPS myself.

I'm already working on a couple larger projects right now so I can't guarantee when I'd be able to have something like this available (unless it was commissioned as a custom request), but it is definitely something I will add to my to-do list!

16 hours ago, Makoto said:

Hey @Morgin,

I actually like the concept of this idea. Major networks such as Facebook and Twitter now even inform members when actions have been taken based on their reports, and as the end-user (notably on Twitter), I've always liked the feedback/confirmation that things are being done against abusive users.

So I'd like to make an application to integrate something like this into IPS myself.

I'm already working on a couple larger projects right now so I can't guarantee when I'd be able to have something like this available (unless it was commissioned as a custom request), but it is definitely something I will add to my to-do list!

Hey @Makoto,

Just as a heads up, another dev msg’d before this to say they would take this on as a project. They can out themselves if they want, but just wanted to give a heads up as I’ve said I’m good with them reselling in marketplace when done so don’t want you working on this if you have other priorities. 

1 minute ago, Morgin said:

should write a blog post about turning users into valuable moderation tools. 

Are you ... Not already psychologically manipulating your users to turn them into a mindless drone army of vigilante moderators?? 

Great to see an addon, even if it’s not exactly how I would like to see it implemented. I’ve been looking at Xenforo 2 recently, they have a few nice things including:

48BAC5AF-6F5E-4DDD-9131-F8EDD5267A38.thumb.jpeg.b2502a8a77b1e0439e43ab25257ba436.jpeg

Notify author of this action, it’s little things like and letting members know the outcome of their report will save a lot of headaches for moderation staff. Twitter does this great.

Lost count over the years of how many times members have reposted deleted posts, and members contacting us to ask why wasn’t anything done about their report.

One field, one line, would go a long way to solve these issues and be more transparent with members.

Sure, we can contact each member, open a private message after every action but that can be time consuming as you have actively opened a conversation with them.

Also some members have disabled their messenger, just this week I had to use the warn system just to contact them privately why we had removed their posts. 

(Side note, should admin messages override any settings that disable messenger?)

Whilst the addon is great, my preference would be for the member to receive a notification once they have made the report

”Thank you for reporting a X, please allow the moderation staff X hours/days to investigate”

On closing a report, you have a drop down menu of pre defined selection of responses to send to the member(s) which reported the post, plus an option to write a custom response which the member then receives as a notification. Not opening a private conversation between the moderator and member, just a pop up or a separate page.

As I say opening conversations can time consuming, if members disagree they are more likely to respond which then needs another response, would they go out their way to contact a moderator?

It allows the moderator to act anonymously, they have a tough time as it is, also having the auto responses avoids the complaints of moderators talking to members unprofessionally. Members can be weird, you know that.

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2019 at 5:18 PM, day_ said:

Whilst the addon is great, my preference would be for the member to receive a notification once they have made the report

”Thank you for reporting a X, please allow the moderation staff X hours/days to investigate”

On closing a report, you have a drop down menu of pre defined selection of responses to send to the member(s) which reported the post, plus an option to write a custom response which the member then receives as a notification. Not opening a private conversation between the moderator and member, just a pop up or a separate page.

As I say opening conversations can time consuming, if members disagree they are more likely to respond which then needs another response, would they go out their way to contact a moderator?

It allows the moderator to act anonymously, they have a tough time as it is, also having the auto responses avoids the complaints of moderators talking to members unprofessionally. Members can be weird, you know that.

@Adriano Faria, I assume you have lots of other more urgent priorities, so obviously no rush here, but if you are ever looking to extend this application further, my mod team immediately honed in on the same issue raised by @day_ above within minutes of me presenting it to them, which is to have an option to have the report closed/action taken notice sent as a notification instead of a private message. I think this could may be added as a third option to what you already have in the application (I.e. (a) private message from logged in user, (b) message from a specified account, or (c) just as a notification to the user using the notification system). I could see the anonymity angle and preventing further conversation about it (which the PM invites) as being helpful. Could still record the issuance of a notification on the moderator comments section of a report as well.

After having this in place a bit now, I just wanted to follow up to note that we’ve seen an uptick in repeat post reporters now. Early days, but it appears getting confirmation that reporting a post results in an action incentivizes further reporting. This is great from my perspective!

would love to hear other’s experiences as well. 

Archived