External Links Rich Embed [Support Topic]

On 1/12/2019 at 6:02 PM, RevengeFNF said:

@A Zayed i know this is a long shot, but doesn't hurt to ask.

In the past i used an addon called Media Tag, where we could create custom oembed links. In the mean time this addon was removed from the marketplace because it was not updated since ips 4.1, although it was partially still working. 

When i first installed your rich links addon, although your addon ignores the default oembed links by ips, it would cause the custom oembed links from the other addon to stop working, because it would show them as a rich link instead of the oembed. So i just disabled that media tag addon. 

Now i found another addon that is up to date, (NE) oembedServices management  by @Nathan Explosion, but im afraid to buy it and the same thing will happen.

What I'm asking is if you know why this happens and if there is anything that can be done to fix it. 

Thanks. 

I'm not sure how this plugin works, But I can gladly provide support in case of conflict happens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 7:22 AM, Christforums said:

I'm sure you've run into a site which didn't have an og image etc to embed so the embed link is blank and white.

Is it possible to use a default image when no image is set up or available from linked site?

22 hours ago, Serayah said:

@A Zayed Just wondering what happens when you post an url of an image that is dynamic or protected? will it show a broken image after a while? 

The image is set as is in the database, to avoid such situation (Broken image urls) it would be better to use the built in imageproxy feature.

2 hours ago, A Zayed said:

it would be better to use the built in imageproxy feature.

About that, This is a general question but maybe you know, what if you set cache remote images for 1 week, does it get the original image from the external server or from withing? I'm confused that if you set the cache duration to 1 week or something the image might get broken after that period, if it needs to fetch from another website constantly.

Guess you need to set it on Indefinitely then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/12/2019 at 5:51 PM, Christforums said:

I often see an error. Here's a link to the problem embed and a screen shot: https://www.christforums.com/forums/topic/20850-constantine-conspiracy-and-the-canon/

1371675196_LinkError.thumb.jpg.23fbd4dc52c3f88ab807de7aba11aed8.jpg

This is not a plugin bug, the problem is that imageproxy is not serving images with signatures (for example: image.png?signature=abcdefgh)

If you tried to post this image url

(https://www.christforums.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://files.logoscdn.com/v1/files/3490000/content.ico?signature=kllyP4JcH1hAFE7qFTTfYfH_ZhU&key=59d81b3a6fb6ab1b3be5a45c1653eaf6878c6b314dd350cbb4e0f88375056020)

in your website it will not get fetched in case you have imageproxy enabled, BTW I'll release a new version to avoid this situation and display a default icon image in case imageproxy is enabled.

20 hours ago, A Zayed said:

BTW I'll release a new version to avoid this situation and display a default icon image in case imageproxy is enabled.

Was that the last version just released? If so, I upgraded the plugin, cleared cache, and also cleared cloudflare cache but the image with signature still isn't being shown with the new plugin.

Here's an example page with link: https://www.christforums.com/forums/topic/20850-constantine-conspiracy-and-the-canon/

19 hours ago, Davyc said:

Having an issue with installing the latest version 1.4.4 during the install process everything is going as planned and then this:

image.png.e00710260ffb450f0c77190a5d7e3098.png

Getting this in the system error log:

image.png.cd3fbe9f614dedbb9943682a29b78355.png

The times reflect my attempts to install.  Any ideas?

With thanks

I'm sorry for that, but I can't reproduce the problem... Could you please try unistalling then re-install the new version one more time.

10 hours ago, Christforums said:

Was that the last version just released? If so, I upgraded the plugin, cleared cache, and also cleared cloudflare cache but the image with signature still isn't being shown with the new plugin.

Here's an example page with link: https://www.christforums.com/forums/topic/20850-constantine-conspiracy-and-the-canon/

It should work for newly posted urls only

4 hours ago, A Zayed said:

I'm sorry for that, but I can't reproduce the problem... Could you please try unistalling then re-install the new version one more time.

It's working now.  Perhaps it was getting mixed up - I noticed that there was an alert next to the plugin saying 'update' available, clicking on the update took me to another developers site, so I reckon it must have been having a nervous breakdown lol.  All is working well now - I guess this one will remain a mystery.  Many thanks for the reply.

:biggrin:

On 1/12/2019 at 5:02 PM, RevengeFNF said:

@A Zayed i know this is a long shot, but doesn't hurt to ask.

In the past i used an addon called Media Tag, where we could create custom oembed links. In the mean time this addon was removed from the marketplace because it was not updated since ips 4.1, although it was partially still working. 

When i first installed your rich links addon, although your addon ignores the default oembed links by ips, it would cause the custom oembed links from the other addon to stop working, because it would show them as a rich link instead of the oembed. So i just disabled that media tag addon. 

Now i found another addon that is up to date, (NE) oembedServices management  by @Nathan Explosion, but im afraid to buy it and the same thing will happen.

What I'm asking is if you know why this happens and if there is anything that can be done to fix it. 

Thanks. 

I tested this plugin with Nathans plugin and I couldn't find any errors, so I would assume that both plugins are working side by side without any conflict. Both internal and external links are rich embedded (except internal links that are pointing e.g. to /forums or /calendar, but this is normal. Only records are embedded).

@A Zayed I have some small question though:

• After embedding external links the embedded content is editable. My suggestion would be, if possible, to prevent editing so users or mods do not accidentally alter the embedding. This happens only after embedding, saving and editing the post again
  • Are only those images pulled by the plugin that are marked as meta or og-image? I tested with a site with a lot of images and only the title and text is pulled (I checked to pull every available information)
  • Is it a wanted behaviour that we cannot move the embedded content like the default ones (e.g. quotes or videos with the little movement indicator in the top left corner). Same as above, only after saving and editing the post again

Cheers,
Phil

Edited by Phil7789
1 hour ago, Phil7789 said:

After embedding external links the embedded content is editable. My suggestion would be, if possible, to prevent editing so users or mods do not accidentally alter the embedding. This happens only after embedding, saving and editing the post again

No, this is not possible at least in the current versions... I'd make a plan for this in the future.

Are only those images pulled by the plugin that are marked as meta or og-image? I tested with a site with a lot of images and only the title and text is pulled (I checked to pull every available information)

Could you please send me url sample?

Is it a wanted behaviour that we cannot move the embedded content like the default ones (e.g. quotes or videos with the little movement indicator in the top left corner). Same as above, only after saving and editing the post again

No, You already can move the block to whatever area inside the editor.

Thanks for the fast reply 🙂

12 minutes ago, A Zayed said:

Could you please send me url sample?

I tried with https://hytale.com/ and https://hytale.com/media

12 minutes ago, A Zayed said:

No, You already can move the block to whatever area inside the editor.

Yes, but as soon as you save the post and you edit it again you cannot move the embedded content anymore. It behaves like it is content you wrote. You would have to cut and paste it to move it.

Best regards,
Phil