External Links Rich Embed [Support Topic]

• 1 month later...

I don't know if i found a bug or if it works this way, but it doesn't matter what i choose in the "Content Description Truncation" option, the content will only show 2 or 3 lines of the description, even if there is more description to show.

I have set it to 6, and i can give this example:

Link: https://observador.pt/especiais/a-historia-dos-dois-cunhados-arrastados-pela-derrocada-contada-por-quem-os-viu-cair/

Embebed post with only 2 lines:

image.png.a3d4f3539c885441151b48e8d145d848.png

13 minutes ago, RevengeFNF said:

I don't know if i found a bug or if it works this way, but it doesn't matter what i choose in the "Content Description Truncation" option, the content will only show 2 or 3 lines of the description, even if there is more description to show.

I have set it to 6, and i can give this example:

Link: https://observador.pt/especiais/a-historia-dos-dois-cunhados-arrastados-pela-derrocada-contada-por-quem-os-viu-cair/

Embebed post with only 2 lines:

image.png.a3d4f3539c885441151b48e8d145d848.png

This is actually the content introduced by the OG meta tags from the website...

So you can not show more than what the website offer.

6 minutes ago, A Zayed said:

This is actually the content introduced by the OG meta tags from the website...

So you can not show more than what the website offer.

Ok, i understand now, thank you :wink:

Now just a suggestion if someday you want to think about it. It would be good if there was an option to choose the image height. For example, in some links, it will cut a person face in half because there is no enough height to display it.
I posted a link of Theresa May about the Brexit, and the image was basically only her mouth ehehe

Regardless of that, im very happy with your app. Nice job.

4 minutes ago, RevengeFNF said:

Ok, i understand now, thank you :wink:

Now just a suggestion if someday you want to think about it. It would be good if there was an option to choose the image height. For example, in some links, it will cut a person face in half because there is no enough height to display it.
I posted a link of Theresa May about the Brexit, and the image was basically only her mouth ehehe

Regardless of that, im very happy with your app. Nice job.

Okay, Added to my to-do list.

How does the code look on the back end @A Zayed?

In other words, if I enable this plugin, and then eventually disable it, will all of the external links created while it was enabled continue to function? They're just written out as "embeds" in the HTML stored in the database? Or do they require the plugin to remain active?

6 hours ago, iacas said:

How does the code look on the back end @A Zayed?

In other words, if I enable this plugin, and then eventually disable it, will all of the external links created while it was enabled continue to function? They're just written out as "embeds" in the HTML stored in the database? Or do they require the plugin to remain active?

It's saved in the database as is, even if the plugin is disabled, the data is saved and will not be broken.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@A Zayed i think i found a bug.

In some links, for a regular user, the image will not appear (the image appears inside the editor box, but disappears after the post is done), while for a member of the staff it would appear. After investigating, i came to the conclusion that if a member doesn't have permission to post html (normal members normally don't have for security reasons), that issues happens.

You can test it with this link: https://www.discogs.com/Sonny-Clark-Cool-Struttin-Volume-2/release/4661299

If a regular member post it, it will appear like this:

XpaoFl6.png

If a member of the staff with permission to post html post, it will appear like this:

aVsQo2j.png

Can you check if you also replicate this?

Now a suggestion:

Mostly in mobile, sometimes the title is big and doesn't show all of it.

I added this custom css to fix it.

.ipsRichEmbed_itemTitle.ipsTruncate.ipsTruncate_line.ipsType_blendLinks {
    white-space: normal !important;
}

Goes from this:

M10wYYQ.png

To this:

ZDDodbB.png

Edited by RevengeFNF

Hi Zayed,

First of all, kudos on the plugin 🙂 It creates a much nicer experience for my client's users. 

Secondly, I have been trying to use your plugin along with the built-in RSS/Atom Feed import, but that does not display/post the raw URL, but instead it adds a link to a custom string (something like `Click here for the full story` or similar). 

Can you please think or suggest any way or workaround how I could enrich the opening posts generated by the RSS/Atom Feed import?
Maybe if I could define a custom string in your plugin where it reverses the link Click here for the full story to https://google.com and enriches the content?
(I am using an Invision hosted board, so no access to the source to tinker with the code.)

Big thanks in advance!

11 hours ago, RevengeFNF said:

In some links, for a regular user, the image will not appear (the image appears inside the editor box, but disappears after the post is done), while for a member of the staff it would appear. After investigating, i came to the conclusion that if a member doesn't have permission to post html (normal members normally don't have for security reasons), that issues happens.

Yes, you're right...

I checked the url you posted, and found that they're using a plugin for image filtering... this plugin adds some custom functions to the image url...

That's why IPS strip the customization added to the url...

As an action, I'd add check function for customization in the url, if found and the user don't have permission to post html the image should be stripped.

11 hours ago, RevengeFNF said:

Mostly in mobile, sometimes the title is big and doesn't show all of it.

That was intended to keep the style intact... but as per your suggestion, I'll add it as an option in plugin settings.

On 11/21/2018 at 12:50 PM, RevengeFNF said:

It would be good if there was an option to choose the image height

This one also will be considered in the upcoming version.

5 hours ago, balazsp said:

Hi Zayed,

First of all, kudos on the plugin 🙂 It creates a much nicer experience for my client's users. 

Secondly, I have been trying to use your plugin along with the built-in RSS/Atom Feed import, but that does not display/post the raw URL, but instead it adds a link to a custom string (something like `Click here for the full story` or similar). 

Can you please think or suggest any way or workaround how I could enrich the opening posts generated by the RSS/Atom Feed import?
Maybe if I could define a custom string in your plugin where it reverses the link Click here for the full story to https://google.com and enriches the content?
(I am using an Invision hosted board, so no access to the source to tinker with the code.)

Big thanks in advance!

Now this request is doubled (You're the second one to request this option).

I'll think about it and check what can be done.

1 hour ago, Michael R said:

I love this plugin. Is there anyway to include more content?

I would like to use this for linking news articles But often times, I only get just the title, image, and short description. I would like to include an "excerpt" of the news article.

I sent you PM 3 months ago regarding this, but didn't get feedback from you yet.

On 1/8/2019 at 12:57 AM, A Zayed said:
On 1/7/2019 at 7:01 PM, balazsp said:

Hi Zayed,

Big thanks in advance!

Now this request is doubled (You're the second one to request this option).

I'll think about it and check what can be done.

Thank you very much, it would be awesome to enrich the imported contents.

@A Zayed i know this is a long shot, but doesn't hurt to ask.

In the past i used an addon called Media Tag, where we could create custom oembed links. In the mean time this addon was removed from the marketplace because it was not updated since ips 4.1, although it was partially still working. 

When i first installed your rich links addon, although your addon ignores the default oembed links by ips, it would cause the custom oembed links from the other addon to stop working, because it would show them as a rich link instead of the oembed. So i just disabled that media tag addon. 

Now i found another addon that is up to date, (NE) oembedServices management  by @Nathan Explosion, but im afraid to buy it and the same thing will happen.

What I'm asking is if you know why this happens and if there is anything that can be done to fix it. 

Thanks.