(NE) Quote Enhancements

I have a suggestion/request:

Let us control the ignored quote setting

Could contain: Text

Also in the ACP

Could contain: Text, File

Because if we are fully expanding quotes, it makes sense to hide ignored members quotes, like posts are already ignored.

Or at least "flip the switch" to have ignored users quotes hidden by default in the Quote Enhancements, and allow them to unhide them (why would they?). 😛 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2022 at 3:57 PM, Nathan Explosion said:

Correct.

But you indicated that you stopped using it due to incompatibilities...are you just indicating that it needs a compatibility update to allow installation on 4.6/4.7, or did you experience an issue with the actual application itself?

Compatibility.

On 10/24/2022 at 8:14 AM, Nathan Explosion said:

v2.2.0 was approved recently and is now compatible with IPS 4.7.x

v2.2.1 is currently pending approval, and the only change is to remove the 'Max' on the "Number of lines to show in truncated quotes" setting, as it no longer appears to be an requirement to have it there...a bigger number can now be used.

Thank you for this! My Moderating team (and a lot of members) will be very happy to hear they have these features back.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2022 at 6:40 AM, Nathan Explosion said:

v2.2.2 is currently pending approval.

NEW

• added an ACP setting to allow the setting of the default value for handling of ignored quotes.
  • The setting comes into effect if:
    • you allow users control over their own settings but a user hasn't yet chosen their own settings or
    • you do not allow user control over settings.

Hey Nathan,

Any chance you've heard an update on this?

I'm going to hazard a guess that you are asking if the approval was done - yes, it was...2 weeks ago.

If you are relying on me posting in here to say it has been approved then please don't as I won't - I'll post once to say a release has been submitted.

If you require a notification when a release is actually available (has been approved) then go to the resource and click the "Send me version updates" link located on there and you'll get a notification.

Edited by Nathan Explosion
  • 2 months later...

Hi @Nathan Explosion. I hope you're well. On my site there's something a bit odd with this plugin.

It will honour the "Hide ignored quotes" selection, only if you use fully expanded quotes. However, it doesn't seem to work with the default "Truncated quotes" (it doesn't hide them completely but gives you the option to see the content instead).

Also, I told my users to do that (use fully expanded quotes) as a workaround, but someone who is ignoring 18 people (yes, I know, pretty low tolerance level 😉) came forward and said his account was experiencing all sort of problems. And yes, from what I saw they look like Ajax problems, that I assume it's due to the number of users he's ignoring. This happens to him if he selects fully expanded quotes. It's fine with the default truncated quotes, but then again he can't use my proposed workaround to the first problem.

I wonder if you could replicate some of these problems or if it's just on my site that it's doing it.

5 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

What are the actual problems experienced?

Difficult to reproduce a problem without know what the problem is 😉

I'll look into it further when I have time.

He couldn't reply to topics. The reply window wouldn't expand for him to type. According to him this happened only in topics he had started, but I'm not so sure. I guess that was basically it. I logged in as him to see what he meant and I think that's was what he was referring by lots of problems (basically just the one in more than one thread). As, I said I reverted his account to truncated quotes, and that problem disappeared. Cheers.

Edited by PPlanet
On 2/22/2023 at 12:03 PM, PPlanet said:

It will honour the "Hide ignored quotes" selection, only if you use fully expanded quotes. However, it doesn't seem to work with the default "Truncated quotes" (it doesn't hide them completely but gives you the option to see the content instead).

OK - while I cannot reproduce this, there is an improvement I can make with the "Hide ignored quotes" setting that moves the removal of the quote to the back-end processing instead of front-end Javascript, and that will be in the next version of the application.

On 2/22/2023 at 12:10 PM, PPlanet said:

He couldn't reply to topics. The reply window wouldn't expand for him to type. According to him this happened only in topics he had started, but I'm not so sure. I guess that was basically it. I logged in as him to see what he meant and I think that's was what he was referring by lots of problems (basically just the one in more than one thread). As, I said I reverted his account to truncated quotes, and that problem disappeared. Cheers.

I also do not see any issues like this - test it out on the new version when it is available, and get back to me if still a problem (I will need some reproduction steps, in a clear format, to follow)

59 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

OK - while I cannot reproduce this, there is an improvement I can make with the "Hide ignored quotes" setting that moves the removal of the quote to the back-end processing instead of front-end Javascript, and that will be in the next version of the application.

I also do not see any issues like this - test it out on the new version when it is available, and get back to me if still a problem (I will need some reproduction steps, in a clear format, to follow)

Great, I'll do that. Thanks Nathan.

v2.2.3 is currently pending approval

CHANGES

• Removal of ignored quotes, if the "Hide ignored quotes" setting is enabled, is now performed on content prior to sending to the browser instead of via Javascript in the browser (performance improvement if a large number of quotes needed to be ignored)

FIXES

• Fixed issue where the 'Expand' link at the base of a quote may remain visible if ignoring a user's posts.

NEW

• Nothing

On 3/2/2023 at 11:29 PM, Nathan Explosion said:

v2.2.3 is currently pending approval

CHANGES

• Removal of ignored quotes, if the "Hide ignored quotes" setting is enabled, is now performed on content prior to sending to the browser instead of via Javascript in the browser (performance improvement if a large number of quotes needed to be ignored)

FIXES

• Fixed issue where the 'Expand' link at the base of a quote may remain visible if ignoring a user's posts.

NEW

• Nothing

Working fine for me now. Thanks Nathan.

• 2 months later...

Since upgrading, I've had zero issues, but my co-admin has told me even with "Fully collapsed" chosen the quotes are not fully collapsed. I suggested they clear their cookies/cache to see if it fixes, but is there anything else you might be able to think of?

v2.2.4 is pending approval

FIXES

• fixed user account settings issue where "Display quotes as" setting would always display as "Fully collapsed" even though a different setting had been chosen prior to saving.

@MNOfficial is it possible that while they say the following

On 5/9/2023 at 1:10 AM, MNOfficial said:

told me even with "Fully collapsed" chosen the

....they actually haven't chosen "Fully collapsed" and saved the setting? Anyway...test it out after the above release; still an issue, provide steps to reproduce.

Edited by Nathan Explosion
On 5/12/2023 at 1:03 PM, Nathan Explosion said:

v2.2.4 is pending approval

FIXES

• fixed user account settings issue where "Display quotes as" setting would always display as "Fully collapsed" even though a different setting had been chosen prior to saving.

@MNOfficial is it possible that while they say the following

....they actually haven't chosen "Fully collapsed" and saved the setting? Anyway...test it out after the above release; still an issue, provide steps to reproduce.

I know I tried changing my setting to another one, and then returned to "Fully collapsed", and then it stopped fully collapsing, and they tried to same, as well. We'll see what the update does once approved! Crossing my fingers. 🤞🏻