(NE) Quote Enhancements

• 2 weeks later...

Shouldn't be - the javascript to handle things in the front end should be a 'one time' run, not continuous. Got an example page I can look at so I can see what it contains? (if it requires login, please send me credentials to use)

And can you provide me with a screenshot of your current settings for the app in the ACP?

Edited by Nathan Explosion
3 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Shouldn't be - the javascript to handle things in the front end should be a 'one time' run, not continuous. Got an example page I can look at so I can see what it contains? (if it requires login, please send me credentials to use)

And can you provide me with a screenshot of your current settings for the app in the ACP?

This thread for example, if you jump from next/back pages its sitting there for a while page loading and sometimes it pops up with 'unresponsive' dialog box.

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/211759-pearson-post-match-interview/page/6/

Settings as follows: 

quote_enh.thumb.PNG.2d6f15b8519e922338fb0809d7f1fe03.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

And an update on the above reported issue - Tom was kind enough to provide me with ACP access, and I put a debugging version of the application in place, which revealed that the code from my script was running multiple times on each page, which it should not have been doing at all and doesn't do so on my test site. So, I took a look at my code and launched into improving it a little anyway.

Today, I put a new version up on Tom's site and it has resolved the original problem - no more delays being seen, no more multiple runs of the code. However, I am still seeing some weird behaviours with his quotes which I am not seeing in my own testing.

And then I spotted that Tom's quotes have 'Read more' at the base, and not 'Expand', so I took a look at his plugins and there is the old 'Minimized Quote' plugin that was needed prior to IPS 4.5. The delay behaviour being seen by Tom is actually due to the following:

1. My application's quote code running, which then tries to run the IPS quote code
  2. The plugin's quote code actually replaces the IPS quote code and it is what is then run instead of the IPS quote code
  3. My application then responds to what the plugin does, and runs again...and this cycle happens for each quote on a page.

Tom's sample page for me had 33 quotes on it...and the result is a delay which reports to the browser as a 'long-running script'

Problem solved - that plugin is now disabled on Tom's site and I will be testing out my new and improved version there tomorrow.

New version incoming soon.

The above version is now available.

Request: if anyone hits an issue where a quote has two 'Expand' links at the bottom, please let me know and send me a link to the specific page. It's an issue I spotted once in my testing but I couldn't reproduce it again...would like to take a closer look at things in the event it happens.

• 1 year later...

Doing some initial testing this morning and I'm not seeing any issues.

What issues did you experience that caused you to stop using the application?

9 hours ago, The Box Office Theory said:

Our community loved this plugin until it became incompatible a few years ago and we couldn't utilize it anymore

13 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Doing some initial testing this morning and I'm not seeing any issues.

What issues did you experience that caused you to stop using the application?

When I'm on the download page, there's just a message saying it's not compatible with 4.7, so it doesn't give the download option.

Could contain: Text, Page

Edited by The Box Office Theory
  • 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

OK...re-install it then, please. If it's not currently installed & enabled, then it definitely won't work hehe (Why is it now not installed? No idea..maybe IPS's scanner did something)

Yeah I need a server dev to do this later because we have some kind of safety that prevents installation of code in the live server 😛 

For us, it kept disabling the application (first time, it said it was out of date). But we also have a git pull setup that syncs between servers, so the app needed to be staged and then pushed live. After we uninstalled and reinstalled yesterday it is still active, so I have adjusted the settings today from the default again to fully expand.

However, I still don't really understand what the "Allow these groups to change settings" does, because I can't find anything in Account settings that allows people to adjust the way quotes work for them.

8 minutes ago, Redmak said:

However, I still don't really understand what the "Allow these groups to change settings" does, because I can't find anything in Account settings that allows people to adjust the way quotes work for them.

So, for those groups selected in the applications settings - are you saying that on the front-end, those users don't have the following in their account settings?

Could contain: Text

2 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

So, for those groups selected in the applications settings - are you saying that on the front-end, those users don't have the following in their account settings?

Hi Nathan! Yes they do. It must have been in the state that it kept disabling when the control wasn't there.

Thanks for all your help man.