Understanding RSS Import

I am hoping to better understand the RSS import feature. When doing an RSS import, it is copying over the text from the feed or is it simply displaying what is on that feed? What I am trying to figure out is what happens when that feed that it was imported from goes away?

The next question is about images from those feed imports. From what I can tell, the images imported from the RSS feed are simply displaying the images on the other website the feed comes from. What happens to those images once the RSS that they were imported from goes away?

It copies what text it can read to a topic. Once its in the topic, it stays there regardless of if the feed goes awol.

The images are not imported they are linked, if said image goes awol then it goes from the topic. It may be possible with a third party plugin to copy and keep them although this might open a 'can of worms' regarding copying...

I do have that setting in place and have for some time. What I am doing is migrating a bunch of articles over from one of my WordPress websites over to IPB Blogs. To do that I am using the RSS feed. Once it is complete I want to close the WordPress site.

There are so many articles and a lot of images. It is a HUGE pita to move them all manually. The RSS feed has been a huge time saver but the image issue bothers me.

5 minutes ago, Josiah Wallingford said:

I do have that setting in place and have for some time. What I am doing is migrating a bunch of articles over from one of my WordPress websites over to IPB Blogs. To do that I am using the RSS feed. Once it is complete I want to close the WordPress site.

There are so many articles and a lot of images. It is a HUGE pita to move them all manually. The RSS feed has been a huge time saver but the image issue bothers me.

If you have the pages application, you could use our converter app to convert wordpress content to IP.Pages.

9 minutes ago, Josiah Wallingford said:

I definatly don't want to create pages for the articles... there are hundreds of articles.

I think you are misunderstanding. The Pages app has individual pages BUT also Pages databases – they are perfect for articles and you wouldn’t have to handle manual pages. The Pages database records would be created automatically by the converter app. 

They would be best in Blogs. If I do the converter and move these all over to pages, can I then convert them to blogs quickly or would I be back to manually copying and pasting the contents over as blogs?

No. Pages and Blogs are not compatible. 

On 8/3/2017 at 2:01 PM, Josiah Wallingford said:

I definatly don't want to create pages for the articles... there are hundreds of articles. They would be best in Blogs. If I do the converter and move these all over to pages, can I then convert them to blogs quickly or would I be back to manually copying and pasting the contents over as blogs?

I concur with @opentype.  If you're looking to create a definitive resourcde of information where the author is not important, then IP.Pages database of article records is the recommended approach.  It's much more powerful if you understand it. (And don't worry if you get overwhelmed in the beginning). 

Blogs is .... eh.  

Archived