Remote Images Philosophy

JohnCourt

I am torn between allowing remote images or not. Our community is image heavy, we post images for everything. My biggest concern is by allowing remote images in topics and posts, someday they may delete their remote image account, or wherever the remote image is being served from, and the topic or post looks bad with empty image links now.

But, on the other hand, folks like remoting images in from their photo server such as Photobucket and others.

What is your opinions on this?

Thanks for any feedback.

2 hours ago, Cloud 9 said:

We do it, as the members want it, however it gets messy when they delete the images, looks terrible.

It would be nice for an option in IPS to have a remote image copied to the server so its not remote. (Its available for https i think)

You can enable the image proxy even if you are not on https.

• 5 months later...

One question about this configuration

remote_images.png

This means that when the image is no longer on the remote server is removed entirely and therefore is a broken link in the topic?

I understood that there are always available only I i select "Indefinitely" option.

4 hours ago, pequeno said:

One question about this configuration

remote_images.png

This means that when the image is no longer on the remote server is removed entirely and therefore is a broken link in the topic?

I understood that there are always available only I i select "Indefinitely" option.

pequeno, where is this setting? I cannot find it. Thanks!

But on the face of it, it appears that if the "Indefinitely" box were checked it would be beneficial to curb broken links. If the remote image is downloaded to the server, that is good thing in our case, I hate broken links and missing images, don't you?

12 minutes ago, Courtland said:

pequeno, where is this setting? I cannot find it. Thanks!

System > Settings > Posting.

12 minutes ago, Courtland said:

But on the face of it, it appears that if the "Indefinitely" box were checked it would be beneficial to curb broken links. If the remote image is downloaded to the server, that is good thing in our case, I hate broken links and missing images, don't you?

True, but its is important select "Indefinitely" because the default setting is 7 days!

On 2/3/2016 at 6:30 AM, Cloud 9 said:

We do it, as the members want it, however it gets messy when they delete the images, looks terrible.

It would be nice for an option in IPS to have a remote image copied to the server so its not remote. (Its available for https i think)

I thought their was an option in the permissions that stops usergroups from being able to delete attachments (i.e. images).  Maybe that would work?

5 minutes ago, Courtland said:

There is that option Storm, but I believe that only applies to attached images, not remotely served.

This option works for all attachments

delete_attach.png

but only in "My Attachments" page. If a user can edit a message, they can delete an attachments.

Archived