Paypal subscriptions 4.0 no longer work, IPS says to cancel them?? Can't you create a legacy gateway?

chilihead

Just now, Brian Khan said:

Can you please detail what you did to get recurring PayPal payments to work with Commerce in IP4? I'm new to IP4 so I want to make sure I get this right the first time. 

Thanks.

i clicked enable for the api access i needed. then I believe they asked what kind of business I was or what kind of transactions I was processing . not much longer after that I was greenlighted.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, MADMAN32395 said:

i clicked enable for the api access i needed. then I believe they asked what kind of business I was or what kind of transactions I was processing . not much longer after that I was greenlighted.

When you say you were greenlighted, did you apply for NVP/SOAP API and use those credentials for recurring? 

3 minutes ago, Brian Khan said:

When you say you were greenlighted, did you apply for NVP/SOAP API and use those credentials for recurring? 

This is what is enabled on my account. I dont think i had to do any of the NVP or SOAP. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0mBb9QuGv84VDNGbFNGLVlLek0/view?usp=drivesdk

I did use a REST api app. and these are the live app settings I have setup. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0mBb9QuGv84RWZjUkkzOFE1ZUk/view?usp=drivesdk

I'm now giving up completely on getting this enabled with PayPal as the latest I have had from one of the supervisors is:

Hi good morning Daron, my name is David and I'm one of the supervisors within the Product and Site Support team.

I understand you are trying to enable future payments within an app. I can see you have been backwards and forwards with us and MTS and you have had conflicting information. I would like to apologise for the inconvenience.

As we are in customer services we don't have much information on future payments as in what the product is and how you go about getting the feature enabled.

I have contacted our MTS team and they have stated although they don't deal the feature themselves they do know a little about it. What they have said is you need to be account managed to have this enabled which means only large merchants are using the service.

When I have read the developer site it doesn't mention you have to be eligible for the product so I can understand the confusion. I would personally recommend going to the forum http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/paypal?sort=frequent which has other developers on there and you can ask a question. The developers will get back to you.

Although there is lots of information on future payments on the developer network, there isn't anywhere which states how to enable the product which is terrible.

I have passed this feedback on and hopefully our developers will get this updated. For now though please raise a question on the forum and I'm hopeful this will get answered for you.

Thanks for your time and apologies for the inconvenience.

Please let me know if you require any further assistance.

Yours sincerely,
David
PayPal

I've gone back and told them I've given up on the idea, it's just too painful a process and I've got better things to waste my time with!

On December 7, 2015 at 12:22:35 AM, Lindy said:

IPS4 (Commerce) will support PayPal Billing Agreements roughly in January or February.

Any workarounds in the meantime, to keep our customer base from shrinking due to lack of auto-renewal?

Understand, IPS did a great disservice to its users with membership-based communities, very poor communication on this subject which is quite literally taking money out of my family's bank account until Jan/Feb (if that ends up being correct) and will take a while to build back up again AFTER the fix.

I am currently setting up my membership and I have read this entire thread in an effort to untangle everything and figure out what I should do.

My membership is premium and members will have to select either a monthly or yearly recurring plan option for access.

I have a Paypal Business account, but from what I'm reading, Stripe might be easier to setup. 

For $37/year I can have an SSL certificate or I can get Paypal Payments Pro for $30/month. 

Are these my only two options right now?

I just want to get my facts straight before I invest in any solutions.

I realized that my hosting provider gives me 1 free SSL with my hosting package. So I will be setting up Stripe. Additionally, I contacted support and this is the response they gave me:

"Hello, with IPS4 currently, Stripe would be our suggestion, and you can purchase an SSL cert from any provider, it's not specific on who you purchase this from though, paypal payments pro is another option, and it does require SSL also."

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ᴡᴅツ said:

@Lindy for users on 3.x upgrading to 4.x, what will happen to existing Paypal subscriptions? Is this issue finally resolved?

They will continue to work on the old subscriptions if they are active, any new purchase agreements will use the new billing agreements method.

• 6 months later...
13 hours ago, OD Admin said:

is it right to say the old recurring payments from 3.x will work but do not create any invoices in IPS 4.

If you convert the old subscriptions app to nexus while on 3.4.x, then upgrade to IPS4, they will then be in the new commerce app, and function properly. 

On 11/11/2016 at 11:32 AM, Rhett said:

If you convert the old subscriptions app to nexus while on 3.4.x, then upgrade to IPS4, they will then be in the new commerce app, and function properly. 

what if you change the details of the product.

i had a forum membership that was $10 USD renewed every 352 days - i changed this to $10 AUD renewed every 1 year. i then appplied this to all existing purchases - would this work or is the recurring subscription already set in paypal, meaning this would break on renewal?

Archived