Paypal subscriptions 4.0 no longer work, IPS says to cancel them?? Can't you create a legacy gateway?

chilihead

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2CO is offered by IPS but they are not saying how recurring payments work in 4.0 and there is no documentation. The recurring option was removed from the gateway settings. I have no idea what is going to happen to old and new recurring payments when I upgrade, how to enable, etc. They posted in this topic but then they disappeared. 

So basically... if your on 4.0, your screwed on being able to offer free subscription, automatic payment services. I'm being told that in order for me to do this now, which btw... was not communicated to me up front... I have to purchase the hosted 100 plan and pay $300 for an SSL. 

Why should I front the burden and expense for IPBs failure to build the pay pal API for 4.0? 

IPB... I think you need to offer 4.0 customers a better deal, if not free SSLs and don't make people upgrade to a plan. Just sell an SSL for $100, one-time and let your 4.0 hosted clients get there businesses online!  I even heard that the Pay Pal technology was ready and we are waiting on IPB. Why is the free option not working yet?

Fail to have a free pay pal subscription service to offer on 4.0, and then bend me over to get what I need?  What is going on here? This is an easy thing to fix...  Is this about... management realizing they can make more money off of 4.0 people?

Hate to be an antagonist, but your advertising does not say "... Plan 100 and purchase of a $300 SSL required for subscription payment method feature".  There certainly was no disclosure on this added expense for 4.0 people.

Ill say this. I love your platform and I am a big fan... just love the features.. it is rearly great!... but this subscription FUBAR for 4.0 people is really a kick in the nuts. Don't fail to disclose the expenses and then bend us over for the #1 most important feature.

Preface: We host our site on our own server and have always used SSL for any financial transactions done on the site.

This topic had me quite concerned. I upgraded our site to version 4 a couple weeks ago. I had to go back and put the API key in the Paypal gateway again as it was cleared out after the upgrade. In reading this topic today, I was worried that renewals were not happening in the site software, but only being billed/charged via the renewals on Paypal itself. Fortunately, that is not the case. Renewals are being done automatically on the site as they are processed via Paypal. Whew!

Preface: We host our site on our own server and have always used SSL for any financial transactions done on the site.

This topic had me quite concerned. I upgraded our site to version 4 a couple weeks ago. I had to go back and put the API key in the Paypal gateway again as it was cleared out after the upgrade. In reading this topic today, I was worried that renewals were not happening in the site software, but only being billed/charged via the renewals on Paypal itself. Fortunately, that is not the case. Renewals are being done automatically on the site as they are processed via Paypal. Whew!

Ok, wait a minute... (... because Im getting mixed messages...). Are you saying that pay pal automatic subscriptions now works with hosted 4.0?  I thought the pay pal solution did not require an SSL?  Perhaps your choosing to use it for security , ok fine. 

So if you are getting pay pal to work, with an SSL... does that mean the hosted version is also working now?

Why can't we get a clear answer on this from the company? 

Ok, wait a minute... (... because Im getting mixed messages...). Are you saying that pay pal automatic subscriptions now works with hosted 4.0?  I thought the pay pal solution did not require an SSL?  Perhaps your choosing to use it for security , ok fine. 

So if you are getting pay pal to work, with an SSL... does that mean the hosted version is also working now?

Why can't we get a clear answer on this from the company? 

We have lots of subscriptions with automatic renewals. Since the 4.0 upgrade a few weeks ago, we have continued to see the usual flow of Paypal generated  emails coming in for member renewal payments being processed. I read this topic and panicked a bit. But then i went into my admin control panel and started checking transactions, members who we got renewal emails for, etc.  It's all working properly. The ones we received Paypal emails for have indeed been renewed for another year in the software. Three more confirmed renewals since I made my original post.

As far as SSL goes, I would never operate a section of a website involving payments and not have SSL enabled for it. Personal preference but we're a business and need to take every step possible to assure paying customers all is legit and professional.

I've never used the hosted version.

Good luck..... :/

Are CCs now stored on our own sites? So in 4.0 we will need SSL whereas in 3.4 the transaction took place wholly on PP. Correct?

And why did IPS disappear after I asked about 2CO? These are things we need to know. It may not be a popular gateway, but IPS posted in the topic even after I asked, just skipping over my concerns as if they didn't exist.

If there was documentation we wouldn't even have to ask.

One more question. Is 2Checkout (and any other gateway) going to have this price flexibility as well? I don't see a recurring option anymore for 2CO so is it handled the same way as PP now, on the frontend? And what happens to the current subs? If no flexibility I will most likely turn it off and use PP only for recurring.

I already use 2CO so need to know this one. Thanks.

2CO is offered by IPS but they are not saying how recurring payments work in 4.0 and there is no documentation. The recurring option was removed from the gateway settings. I have no idea what is going to happen to old and new recurring payments when I upgrade, how to enable, etc. They posted in this topic but then they disappeared. 

??

Thank you.

In IP.Nexus for IP.Board 3, there were two PayPal gateways: "PayPal (Website Payments Standard)" (where the user gets redirected to paypal.com, which does not require an SSL certificate) and "PayPal (Website Payments Pro)" (where the user enters card information directly on your site, which does require an SSL certificate).

In IPS Community Suite 4, both options are still available, though both are now under a single "PayPal" gateway (and within that, it asks you which method you want) and how recurring payments works has changed if you choose the option for users to be taken to paypal.com, recurring subscriptions can no longer be created (though ones created before upgrading are still recognised, a feature that was added since this topic was started). This is because when we wrote IPS4, PayPal's API didn't include support for it. It does now, and we intend to add support in a future version. If you choose the option for users to enter their card details directly on your site - the process is similar as it was in 3, though uses PayPal's new "Vault" API - the card details are stored on PayPal's servers, not yours, as is explained on the configuration screen.

2CheckOut also no longer supports recurring subscriptions.

In IP.Nexus for IP.Board 3, there were two PayPal gateways: "PayPal (Website Payments Standard)" (where the user gets redirected to paypal.com, which does not require an SSL certificate) and "PayPal (Website Payments Pro)" (where the user enters card information directly on your site, which does require an SSL certificate).

In IPS Community Suite 4, both options are still available, though both are now under a single "PayPal" gateway (and within that, it asks you which method you want) and how recurring payments works has changed if you choose the option for users to be taken to paypal.com, recurring subscriptions can no longer be created (though ones created before upgrading are still recognised, a feature that was added since this topic was started). This is because when we wrote IPS4, PayPal's API didn't include support for it. It does now, and we intend to add support in a future version. If you choose the option for users to enter their card details directly on your site - the process is similar as it was in 3, though uses PayPal's new "Vault" API - the card details are stored on PayPal's servers, not yours, as is explained on the configuration screen.

2CheckOut also no longer supports recurring subscriptions.

This is great info thanks for taking the time to reply!

"2CheckOut also no longer supports recurring subscriptions."

They do, but I take this to mean you don't offer it? I still use 2CO for recurring on various sites and 3.4. I will turn it off now though in 3.4. What is going to happen to the current ones?

Not a huge deal, but thanks for letting me know. I do have active subs in 2CO I would like to remain active if possible. (Looks like over 100)

Thanks Mark,... I was using this option... 

and "PayPal (Website Payments Pro)" (where the user enters card information directly on your site, which does require an SSL certificate).

And was receiving the "recurring invoice to renew" service , which is not recurring, automatic payments. Is that because I didn't have the SSL?  

I purchased an SSL last night, so now if I use this same option, the system will stop sending out, "recurring invoice to renew" emails and just start doing an automatic debit from customer's accounts?... or, do I have to use Stripe to ultimately get what I am looking for with my new SSL?  With the new SSL I paid for, with the website payments pro option work properly now? 

• 2 months later...

I did read your entire post. The 'new' incarnation of PayPal requires you to have a business account for it to work which requires a fee to be paid of around (IIRC) $20 or $30 a month. As that is likely equivalent or more than the donations we get in it is not feasible for us.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2015, 8:50:07, tekguru said:

I did read your entire post. The 'new' incarnation of PayPal requires you to have a business account for it to work which requires a fee to be paid of around (IIRC) $20 or $30 a month. As that is likely equivalent or more than the donations we get in it is not feasible for us.

Where did you read that?

I missed this thread and after upgrade from 3.4.8 I did not receive any money. Just found out today that PayPal was not working - to bad...

Will it be possible to find out which member has tried to buy in my store - ID between 81 and 100 here?

56531c686a72b_23-11-201514-51-54.thumb.j

On November 4, 2015 at 2:50:07 AM, tekguru said:

I've had a business account and never been charged a fee like you're describing.

There are two levels of business account evidently. When I spoke to PayPal about the IPS4.x gateways they told me that only the chargeable business accounts supported the new API that IPS4 uses. I'd be very happy to be proven wrong! But that was what I was told after a long (two week) exchange of messages between myself and Invision Support and PayPal.

3 hours ago, tekguru said:

There are two levels of business account evidently. When I spoke to PayPal about the IPS4.x gateways they told me that only the chargeable business accounts supported the new API that IPS4 uses. I'd be very happy to be proven wrong! But that was what I was told after a long (two week) exchange of messages between myself and Invision Support and PayPal.

Have you even tried doing it to see if you would be charged? They give you the option to upgrade for 20$/month but its optional. The paymentwalls default function still works with free accounts.

1 hour ago, MADMAN32395 said:

Have you even tried doing it to see if you would be charged? They give you the option to upgrade for 20$/month but its optional. The paymentwalls default function still works with free accounts.

Yes I went that route and it didn't work with IPS4, PayPal support advised to get it to work I'd have had to pay. In the end I got PayPal to revert my account back to a personal one once the testing had been proven not to work. If you don't believe me do what I did and raise a ticket with Invision Support and with Paypal and see how far you get.

1 hour ago, chilihead said:

I'm sure the legacy gateway still works, they didn't build it for 4.0 just to remove in 4.1. ;)

(Not on 4.1 yet but you'd know if it wasn't working, I think.)

The legacy gateway is indeed still working!

Archived