Local Test Installations

RedEnzian

Hello!

Ive tried to install the latest RC on a local apache with a custom local domain. When inserting the License Key with "-TESTLICENSE" attached, i got the message, that this key has already been used. When using the current set TestURL (which is in the same local domain), it works.

I thought local installations do not count towards the test install.

sorry ... was in hurry ... ive appened -TESTINSTALL ... there is an error message, that my Testinstall is already used for this license 

ok, found it:

http://community.invisionpower.com/4docs/administration/system/settings/ips-license-key-r6/ 

... thats pretty bad (it must be localhost not an alias) ... since i have done some mods past and perhabs will do in the future, ive always got 1 installation per ipb version per addon ... so i could always test them with clean boards.

this is not possible now ... which is really bad ... the same thing with future boards ... we often used our own testlicense to make previews for our customers (skin/forumsettings/etc) and than they buyed the license ... 

please change this in some way ... this is one of many things which go wrong with the new IPB4 ... 

ok ... localhost is no option for me, since they run on a local (not from external reachable) apache server. der are many local domains managed by an local dns server on it (e.g. customerxy.redenzian.web) so we can work with our customers files from workstation/laptop/tablet/smartphone as long as we are in our network, i dont want to change the configuration each time i had to test something on one board. at least we have installed the currenttest version locally + a "next release" testversion. ... dont´t punish honest customers with such restrictions

must say that iam pretty annoyed what invision has become in the last years (i´ve used invision since prior 1.0 release, i´ve also used ikonboard from which matt comes) ... yea, you have to made profit but honestly not this way. ... sorry hat a bad day today ...

We're not punishing licensed users, in fact we are looking out for you with better control of illegal software use, which in turn reduces priracy, which in turn helps control the cost for properly licensed users such as yourself.  We do allow one test url, and local host urls, so you can just use your test url no? 

There is one slight problem with testinstalls and localhosts, on Windows 8/8.1:  These version of Windows do not work well, if at all, with localhost. I had to use http://127.0.0.1 for any fake domains to work on my WAMP, and remove localhost from my hosts file.

Could you please check if that will work too, Rhett? http://127.0.0.1 that is.

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards, Wim

There is one slight problem with testinstalls and localhosts, on Windows 8/8.1:  These version of Windows do not work well, if at all, with localhost. I had to use http://127.0.0.1 for any fake domains to work on my WAMP, and remove localhost from my hosts file.

Could you please check if that will work too, Rhett? http://127.0.0.1 that is.

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards, Wim

I develop on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 equally.  I haven't had any localhost DNS issues.

Hi Brandon,

In that case I'd love to hear what your setup is. On Windows 7 it started to become a problem, on Windows 8/8.1 it is totally unworkable. Searching on the internet it appeared I wasn't the only one with this problem, and the only way to get around this is essentially by removing localhost from the hosts file, and set everything up with 127.0.0.1 iso localhost. And that actually did the trick for me. It all works nice and fast now, just of course that I seem not to be able to set up more than 1 Invision test site per licence owned, and it has to be a -TESTINSTALL version.

It apparently is caused by the way Windows 8/8.1 deals with IPv6. It just goes looking on the internet for localhost. And it times out on a regular basis as a result, just can't find localhost. Not so great IOW.
Yes, one could also disable IPv6 completely, but I reckon that is a little backward in this day and age.

It would really be great if both could be allowed by the software. After all http://localhost = http://127.0.0.1 Simillarly, maybe ::1 (IPv6 version of localhost) should also be allowed :).

Warm regards, Wim

Hi Brandon,

In that case I'd love to hear what your setup is. On Windows 7 it started to become a problem, on Windows 8/8.1 it is totally unworkable. Searching on the internet it appeared I wasn't the only one with this problem, and the only way to get around this is essentially by removing localhost from the hosts file, and set everything up with 127.0.0.1 iso localhost. And that actually did the trick for me. It all works nice and fast now, just of course that I seem not to be able to set up more than 1 Invision test site per licence owned, and it has to be a -TESTINSTALL version.

It apparently is caused by the way Windows 8/8.1 deals with IPv6. It just goes looking on the internet for localhost. And it times out on a regular basis as a result, just can't find localhost. Not so great IOW.
Yes, one could also disable IPv6 completely, but I reckon that is a little backward in this day and age.

It would really be great if both could be allowed by the software. After all http://localhost = http://127.0.0.1 Simillarly, maybe ::1 (IPv6 version of localhost) should also be allowed :).

Warm regards, Wim

​Do not have anything setup as localhost in hosts file (Windows 8.1)

All that there is for localhost is commented out

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1       localhost
# ::1             localhost

and localhost works fine for me (have quite a few localhost forums set and no problem ... obviously cannot b viewed by anyone other than myself)

​Do not have anything setup as localhost in hosts file (Windows 8.1)

All that there is for localhost is commented out

and localhost works fine for me (have quite a few localhost forums set and no problem ... obviously cannot b viewed by anyone other than myself)

​Thank you, Steve, I'll give that a try in that case. I have no need for anyone looking at these but myself anyway.

I'll report back when I have a chance to do so, probably over the weekend.

Kind regards, Wim

I have localhost running under windows 7 with Xampp. standard install.

​I have tried every stack available, 32-bit, 64-bit, XAMPP, WAMP, about 7 or 8 of them, and build several myself from scratch too. All goes well, until you try localhost as your domain, in my case anyway. Windows 7 funnily enough was ok on a laptop, but not on several desktops I used, but now on Win 8 on desktops it appeared impossible when using localhost. Haven't tried my laptops yet, however.

3.4.x is not a problem at all, using 127.0.0.1, with multiple installs, 4.0 is. I'll try Steve's suggestion, however. These are local installs only for my own use anyway.

Kind regards, Wim

Ok, having done some testing a little earlier (and earlier than planned), I find I can use localhost indeed, with RC6 anyway - I do not want to go back to RC5a or earlier now - as long as I enter localhost as the sqlhost during the install, which also appears to be the default.

However, in order to make fake websites work in my wamp setup under Win8.1, or even installations in directories of such fake websites, I do have to use the hosts file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts), map localhost and localhost.localdomain to 127.0.0.1, and map the fake websites all to 127.0.0.1, otherwise it will not work - it can't find the fake websites from the browser otherwise. I tried with no mapping, and with mapping to localhost, no go. With 127.0.0.1 all is well.

Also, without the mappings in the host file, it won't even find localhost in the browser, but when added it does, and instantly.

IOW, in the hosts file I have to have:

127.0.0.1	localhost	localhost.localdomain

where the localhost.localdomain is probably just a safety precaution; haven't tried that yet without it, and for the fake domains something along the lines of

127.0.0.1   www.fakedomain1.com  fakedomain1.com
127.0.0.1   www.fakedomain2.com  fakedomain2.com

# etc.

Once that is done, and the system rebooted for the hosts file contents to take effect, all works well, and as mentioned, I can use localhost for the sqlhost, and there no longer is a problem, in RC6 anyway.

Kind regards, Wim

• 1 month later...

Just to answer to Cabola's question.

But for me, local upgrade to IPS 4 from 3.4.7 under localhost or localhost/myforum or 127.0.0.1 or 127.0.0.1/myforum don't work. Already explained to support.

Upgrade checker want a valid license to continue to the next step....

The solution is to replace the controller which is called by the script itslef in the URL to bypass licensing step. (license to applications)

So, upgrade / install will continue with no license. And Dashboard will inform you that you don't have license.

Welcome in DRM century...

Archived