my time to moan !

Pete T

Right 4.0.x is beta correct and i understand that really do but idea beta is test the software to find bugs correct ? so why does IPS hide scripts like simple change in base url from the beta testing ? i starting work out why i even here any more ? many bugs return back work fine on Fresh install really that nice i am glad got working on fresh version but does that solve when customer upgrade from 3.4.7 to 4.0.x stable answer no. 

Then i going start this off again been answered in many topic but i still see IPS holding back with official statement on lifetime license, i will quote your term on this This will give you a perpetual license to use Invision Power Board for one installation and access to all future versions. One year of support and related services is included. After one year an optional $30 renewal for support and related services is available. Now in that small brief statement is in All future versions ? also in there don't say links to solely forum so why in 4.0.x this option being removed ? We look site today 2015 to buy license comes with core + IP.Board so my understanding is nothing really changed much only difference now is don't have have forum with 4.0.x i can choose Gallery, Blog, Nexus or Pages i understand that really do but terms buy any item have to have one item Core !! so really software the same from day one just the term is changed.

Now back to this official statement we still beta but maybe few version from stable i see today still official news on license but do see IPS new direction we give you $100 credit for you move over ! that nice depending if have more one app in less months your credit finished and now back paying update so that nice credit going be return back in there pockets. All because the following we change the item we give you, we now give you chat 5 members free, we give you spam service for free and oh yeah we can use the visual editor all for free. Well that nice but how many people really like use them ? did a survey go out see what users would like ? and then i will review that option word Free ! 

2005 $50 (+$20 upgrade fee)

2006 $69.95 standard license

2007-2011 $149.99 standard license

2012-2015 $175.00 standard license

As see the price between years has gone up in 2007 if correct the lifetime license was dropped and was only standard only ! and seem they been trying lose the customers that had lifetime ones and get them to switch, i no law and nor am i going start becoming one but i still can't see term only for forum so i going use example if customer x has core + IP.Board and had that from 2006 to 2015 what the difference now you still need license for blog,gallery and so on so come on what going on ! 

"PLEASE NOTE I AM DYSLEXIC SO SORRY IF FIND MY POST HARD TO UNDERSTAND"

I would have thought that access to IP.Board inferred the fact it was the forum component. IP.Board will no longer exist in that form and a new suite of applications, one of which is a forum application to which you can upgrade from IP.Board, will be released.

You have had a really good deal over the years but nothing lasts forever. I think IPS have been very fair and generous in dealing with this situation for lifetime/perpetual license holders. I have had "lifetime" deals before that didn't last anywhere near the amount of time you have had it.

(I too am dyslexic and I found your post easy to read... :))

The Heff thanks your reply to my topic and lets use your example for the thought that IP.Board is the link to lifetime license and let say for example moment in your client area you license is Core+IP.Board as to current term on main invision power site and when 4.0.x is out you still have no extra app so again all have is Core what will need and Board is now called Forum the setup still same nothing new so why can't lifetime license be used for same setup you had from 2006 to 2015 ? 

IPS have been more than reasonable in my opinion. I had a perpetual licence but moved a standard licence a few years ago. You have 3 options as far as I can tell:

Stay on 3.4.7 with what you have.

Accept the offer from IPS.

Move to something else.

10 years in Internet time is a lifetime and essentially that was the lifetime of Invision Power Board. With IPB 4 we have a new product.

3DKiwi i normal don't moan unless i feel the need to and when paid my sum money to IPS for lifetime license was told would last only x years then yeah i be fine but fact the way been handled or lack of really i starting to moan because i not the only user who feels lifetime = lifetime and the end day i supported IPS from year 2005 become paying member in that year why would i move ! and why should i ? many people don't understand over course time many people deep down may have not used half item given to them by IPS as see no need for it and i know correct on that, because seen topic here and other sites so i know i not alone on battle to show people i am customer of product that needs learn what end user really likes and not what company likes..

• Management

Pete, I thought we had all of this worked out and that we gave you a fair deal. I have to say, it's ever so slightly frustrating that you'd accept an offer to upgrade, spend the credit and then return to complain how you feel you were wronged. I didn't think you were forced to upgrade under duress. :)

We can of course debate semantics, but If you truly don't think anything has changed and it's still the same forum as it was in 2002, I'm not sure I can be of any assistance or say anything to sway you. 

I will say, you're honing in on what you feel you're not getting, when neglecting to mention what you have received. For example, three annual licenses that we upgraded, for free, to standard licenses -- so for $40/ea. you got 3 licenses that would cost you $525 to purchase today - those licenses are already compatible with IPS4. Even the perpetual licenses were significantly discounted for loyalty promotions to begin.

After all of the above, a decade of updates, support and growth with IPS plus a generous credit and upgrade to the next chapter of IPS - I feel we've done a respectable job at doing the right thing (and the overwhelming response from legacy holders agree), but I fully respect that you disagree and am sorry for your frustration. Unfortunately, business decisions are made at different stages of the growth cycle - some materialize, others don't. I've explained in other topics the need to move away from legacy licenses and you're free to "have your moan" of course, but at the end of the day, we feel we've come up with a reasonable middle ground. 

Lindy i feel had moan simple because people that have not taken up the offer, i taken offer simple keep up with moving to IPS 4.0.x and keep on providing a service to my customers but what choose did i have ? keep on using 3.4.7 to stage one point come to EOL no good if someone provides a service ? and felt like moan because normal i bottle it up but today i was ready topic on here and other sites with this same issue and i felt air my view for many just simple feel need now move away to another software because lifetime license is not going be used in 4.0.x. As for statement what for was like 2002 was not here then but guessing would be 1.2.x or 1.3.x version at the time maybe start of 2.0.x but again like air my view. 

I think IPS deserve some respect for the way they've handled this and it sounds like you've been given an incredibly generous deal because of your long-standing relationship with them. You'd have to be barking mad to throw that away and move to another software, just because you'll have to pay renewal fees like the rest of us.

I think IPS deserve some respect for the way they've handled this and it sounds like you've been given an incredibly generous deal because of your long-standing relationship with them. You'd have to be barking mad to throw that away and move to another software, just because you'll have to pay renewal fees like the rest of us.

​Ok if like know my offer was not $525 i can tell you that now !! that example used in Lindy example is today prices i was given same offer as normal person i nothing to hide. I have also never said i move to another for software so no idea why that idea come from, i been here ten years i support many people in my time many that had work done for nothing that correct no single penny. Today i still provide few apps and hooks for nothing why ! because enjoy it and like see people enjoy software to, so before people jump up and say why he moaning  he got better deal then me !! well no same offer nothing different yes i do have many license in my client centre at the time i had 1 lifetime, 1 perpetual that was moved to standard license no extra, and if i am correct i have 3 standard ones. So how much have i given to IPS no idea so before you say am i braking mad nope i not moaning for me ! i feel its wrong for people who as yet not taken i offer...

Pete's a great person and has been a tremendous help here. Sad to see him being treated this way by some who constantly berate customers for speaking out. Petes shown everyone respect. Treat him the same!

​I fail to see anybody berating anybody else. This is a forum and people of differing opinions will use them to discuss things. The fact folks might disagree with Pete does not mean they're berating him nor taking away from his enormous contribution over the years. It's clear from his profile how highly he is thought of.

• Management

Like i said i felt had air my view on the matter ! and i do believe if not correct maybe little wrong but select few don't want lose there lifetime license... 

Your grievance is understood, but a little more frustrating than others because I went above and beyond for you specifically given your history, then you take the offer, spend the credit and then come here to complain "on behalf of others." Surely you can understand the frustration. Nobody forced you to upgrade your licenses - in fact, you contacted us to do so for extra credit. To support your customers, you could have quite easily used your unused standard license that's already compatible with IPS4. So, you certainly had a choice and it's truly quite baffling where you're coming from with this. Since sending the e-mail blast, we've converted a good number of licenses and all but less than a handful have been perfectly accepting, if not gracious of the offer. I'm not saying we should receive a standing ovation by any means, but I think the overall response has been that we're doing the right thing given the circumstances and an awful lot more than most companies would these days. Some, like yourself, will disagree and that's perfectly ok. 

There's already an open topic on this subject. You've aired your grievance and frustration and this has run its course, but if you have something further to add, feel free to add to the other topic (that's also almost run its course), or contact us with account concerns. 

Thank you.

Archived