Lag opening our forums

Hi,

When opening our forums (http://forum.clubedohardware.com.br) I see a five-second lag between hitting "Enter" and the page actually start loading and displaying. I think it should open instantly (whether the page will render instantly is a different history).

I'd like to fix this, but don't even know where to start looking.

Thanks,

Gabriel.

Around 16.8 seconds for me in Australia

11890819594_482297bcc8_o.png

I see that the TTFB is around 1.4 seconds, this would be backend, this can be improved. Try compressing your images (via webserver) and cache your pages.

You could also remove some advertising.

Use of a local CDN (such as cloudflare) would greatly reduce the load-time.

Hmmm, thats interesting, I guess your closer being in the states, which is interesting because I have a 120Mbit cable connection.

Just goes to show how slow it is over the pacific for us aussie's.

The time I posted was the time just for the document, without any images, parsing etc.

I'm in the UK, on 4.5Mbit DSL ( :( ), My place in Dublin has 100Mbit, It's like a different world when I go over there!

The time I posted was the time just for the document, without any images, parsing etc.

I'm in the UK, on 4.5Mbit DSL ( :sad: ), My place in Dublin has 100Mbit, It's like a different world when I go over there!

Yeah, like I said, we have bad backhaul currently, over the pacific.

Will retest in a few hours or so.

Thanks guys. Even though our website is a Brazilian community, we are hosted in the United Stated, FYI.

There you go, no wonder it is super fast for everyone in the states :thumbsup:

Just tested again, better time for me:

11892874544_ea7e383e2b_o.png

Not sure why it took so long before, as it was not in our peek, it was at around 4AM (now 6:20AM) :unsure:

Thanks for testing this. I've just moved my DNS records to Cloudflare. This should help a bit.

If your main target geographic is Brazil, you should be hosting your server in a datacenter in Brazil. Unless you're targetting Brazilian users in the United States.

I see that the TTFB is around 1.4 seconds, this would be backend, this can be improved. Try compressing your images (via webserver) and cache your pages.

Your web server doesn't compress images, GZIP compression only applies to HTML, Javascript, CSS, and other text based content. Google's Pagespeed Module lets your web server perform compression on images, but it should be used with care.

Also, pages will never be cached with IP.Board, only static content (images, javascript, css, etc.) is ever cached. You will always have to make a connection to the web server on every page request. You don't ever want to allow caching of pages on a dynamic website. You can override this behavior in IP.Board, but you should never do so.

If your main target geographic is Brazil, you should be hosting your server in a datacenter in Brazil. Unless you're targetting Brazilian users in the United States.

Your web server doesn't compress images, GZIP compression only applies to HTML, Javascript, CSS, and other text based content. Google's Pagespeed Module lets your web server perform compression on images, but it should be used with care.

really felt I should stress that part. when setup right it helps but any crossdomain setup issues, etc and you get corruption. I actually am about to re-enable it on my end (nowheres near as busy as yours) but I do it to learn basically.

I use it on my production forum to generate progressive jpeg's and rewrite PNG's to lossless WebP. It works well. I've considered posting my current semi-refined PageSpeed rules on here, though they're nothing special.

Maybe this would be a great post (as always :tongue:) in a separate topic somewhere.

I am always interested to see what you post Kirito (server wise), it is very interesting, and I always learn something! :thumbsup:

It's often cheaper and more reliable to get one in USA with SA optimized than to get one in Brazil.

That is not an option. Hosting servers in Brazil is more than 10x more expensive than in the U.S with a service quality 10x worse. I am not kidding. It is simply ridiculous. We've tried several different datacenters in Brazil. They are all as bad as they can get, especially if you have experience dealing with datacenters in the U.S.

Just to give you a real idea of numbers, when we finally decided to move to U.S., we would pay PER YEAR in the U.S. what we were paying PER MONTH in Brazil. Not only that. In Brazil we had to buy the equipment (co-location), while in the U.S. the equipment was leased (dedicated servers). When you factor this in, it is easily more than 12x more expensive hosting in Brazil. If the price different wasn't so outrageous, we'd prefer to host in Brazil and have a lower ping, but for a 12x+ price difference, "you gotta be kidding".

Most "hosting" companies in Brazil are, in fact, mere resellers of U.S. hosting services, and the ones that have datacenters are simply not competitive and I always wonder why someone would host with them (the only explanation I have is that people only quote with companies in Brazil and, since most Brazilians don't speak English, they are very limited to what they can accomplish).

Archived