Dedicated Managed Server Recomendations

Hi guys,

I have to change my hosting company, but I am clueless when it comes to Dedicated Managed Servers (Server Side Fully Managed)

I am looking for best deal and a good hosting company. Good customer service and they do not ask money every time you say something...

my current specs are these (I got them 4 years ago)

Dual Intel CPU 5430 Quad Core 2.66GHz 1333M 12 M Cache
8GB DRII667 Memory
2 X SCSI 146GB SCSI HD 15K RPM
ASUS Server Board DSBV-DX/SAS
Sony 24X DVD ROM RW Combo

RM2U2170 Chassis w/ 510W Single PS EPS-12V
26" inches sliding rail for RM2170 Chassis
Drives Bays: 6x 3.5" hot-swap, 1x 5.25" external x 3.5" internal, 1x 3.5" external
Cooling: 3x 80mm & 1x 60mm mid fans, 2x 40mm rear fans
Slots: 7 expansion slots for add on cards
Certification: FCC, CE

I need 4 of these (4 servers)

Please let me know if you know a good hosting company...

Thanks

It has been a while since I have used them, but Superb used to have really good support and they definitely have an amazing datacenter and network connectivity. If I ever needed my own servers, that is where I'd go.

That said, I would strongly recommend taking a look at Amazon's offerings, ie EC2, etc. It is a bit different than what you're probably used to, but a strong choice.

Edit: http://www.superb.net/

robert

What's your budget and what kind of current specs you are looking for?

handsoffsam, on 29 Jan 2013 - 00:47, said:
It has been a while since I have used them, but Superb used to have really good support and they definitely have an amazing datacenter and network connectivity. If I ever needed my own servers, that is where I'd go.

Edit: http://www.superb.net/

Xeon X3220 2.4Ghz for just 4Gb RAM - 180$ Super high priced. Could get Xeon E3 and 8GB easily with 100$ on Tier 1 or 2 networks.

CPU Chart: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

That would help in comparing CPU's.

I use a StormOnDemand VPS, scalable, you can bring more machines online in seconds, network firewall, and according to my research, the most bang for the buck (cheaper than Rackspace, EC2, etc). They have been around for a while (parent company is LiquidWeb) and have a great reputation.

They also offer SSD based machines now.

I don't have any affiliation with this company, I just wanted to mention them since it's the first time in 10 years that I didn't have to make moving plans within a year.

I use a StormOnDemand VPS, scalable, you can bring more machines online in seconds, network firewall, and according to my research, the most bang for the buck (cheaper than Rackspace, EC2, etc). They have been around for a while (parent company is LiquidWeb) and have a great reputation.

They also offer SSD based machines now.

I don't have any affiliation with this company, I just wanted to mention them since it's the first time in 10 years that I didn't have to make moving plans within a year.

I don't understand how people pay 150$ for SSD VPS. I could get dedi server from reputable companies in that one with SSD. No offense intended just out of curiosity.

You can easily get Xeon E3, 16GB RAM, 10K SAS and SSD. RAID 1 with SSD as cache would out perform the VPS.

I have a dedicated smart sever with liquid web. I have been with them for 7 years or so. The support I have received over the years has always been top notch, I have always received a response to my support tickets within minutes. Not only is support free, they will also move you over to their servers for free.

I need 4 of these (4 servers)

When you say you need "4 of these", do you mean a server equivalent in power to four of the servers you have? Or do you actually want 4 of the one you specified? Because the system you mentioned is 5 years old. You might even get more power from a single server of today.

Something like Dual E5-2670, 32GB ram and 2x SSD on raid 1 will likely be better than 4x of what you posted.

You can also get management from a different company than the hosting company and get an inexpensive unmanaged server. Rack911 (I have done much business with rack911 already and good as well as many good reviews out there) and AdminGeekZ (no personal experience, but many great reviews) are well known for quality management services.

Some well known managed hosting include Liquidweb and even rackspace at very high end (also read: ultra expensive).

Just note that quality management is expensive and does not come cheap. And the reason is obvious. Skilled system administrator are $70+/hr.

If you know how to manage your server , the best datacenter is offered by Softlayer. They are pricey but no other solution meets their professionalism. Hostgator is also reselling Softlayer servers for their managed dedicated server.

Not since EIG acquired hostgator.
They moved a lot of clients into their own DC, but some still remain @ softlayer since there's so many.

Here's another recommendation for LiquidWeb. We've been with them since 2006, I think. On a shared server for a short while, and on a dedicated server ever since.

We pay them to manage it because we don't have experience managing a server and our time is better spent doing the things we do best instead of learning to manage the server. They fix any issues very quickly.

We also pay extra for monitoring service and a special detailed backup so we're never at risk of losing the years and years of data in our forum.

Ok Guys,

After really hard negotiation, and talk to more than 20 different hosting company I finally made my decision....

Here is the server that I am going with

Intel Xeon E5-2650 (8-Core, 2.0 ghz 24MB Cache, HT)
32GB DDR3 ECC
Standard SuperMicro Rackmount
2x240GB Intel 520 SSD
LSI 9261 - 512MB Cache - 4 Ports
1000Mbs Public + Private
20TB Premium Transfer
15 IP Addresses
Fully managed
7 Days backup
CSF Server Firewall
Free migration

$275/month

Note: Host company does not want me to spread the word... They said it is 4 servers deal...

I went thru every single hosting company, including Rackspace, Liquedweb, constant, Hostdime, Vortex, XLhost, godady, Hivelocity and more...

Please let me know what you think about the server?

Thanks

Looks like this CPU bencmark: Intel Xeon E5-2650 @ 2.00GHz: 11,211

What's your budget and what kind of current specs you are looking for?

Xeon X3220 2.4Ghz for just 4Gb RAM - 180$ Super high priced. Could get Xeon E3 and 8GB easily with 100$ on Tier 1 or 2 networks.

CPU Chart: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

That would help in comparing CPU's.

I would still add one more regular besides HD on it for back ups or running OS. Just running on 2 SSD's is not an wise option in my opinion if you have mission critical website.

If you have budget then RAID1 on regular hard drives so it makes 2 + 2 hard drives or at least go for 2 (SSD) + 1 Regular or 2 (Regular) + 1 SSD.

I would still add one more regular besides HD on it for back ups or running OS. Just running on 2 SSD's is not an wise option in my opinion if you have mission critical website.

If you have budget then RAID1 on regular hard drives so it makes 2 + 2 hard drives or at least go for 2 (SSD) + 1 Regular or 2 (Regular) + 1 SSD.

More info from hosting company

--- This is an 8 core Xeon CPU server. It has 32 GB of ECC or buffered and memory parity error correction.

This is a Supermicro Server. We will provide Intel SSD drive for high
data throughput. The raid controller also has 512 MB of cache for extra
performance.

We will provide 1GB Ethernet line to internet. Total monthly bandwidth will be 20TB (inbound + outbound) per month.

We will provide full management which includes helping you setup your server and all related software.

We will include backups with a 7 day retention.

We will also provide free migration assistance of your website and data onto our servers.

Alex,

How about this (Tech guy return new message to answer your comment above)

based on this I will recommend the following:

Each server will have 2 x 240GB SSD storage in Raid-1 config. The 2
disks will backup each other so if 1 fails the other is still active and
there is no disruption. I will also provide a third SATA disk with
500GB of storage. This will store all backups for the server. So if you
need to restore a deleted file or if both SSD disks fails, the third
disk will provide additional redundancy.

I will keep price the same even with adding third disk to each of the 4 servers.

thats similar to what I do, no ssd though for me.

have 2 500 in raid 1 with a 500 dedicated for backups done nightly.

I have purposely nuked a site and tested recovering a video stream site (approx 100gb of data at the time, purposely uploaded some huge files for the test) and had it running in 20 or 30 minutes after breaking it.

its an added expense you won't benefit from until the one time you need it.....then its the best $$ you could have spent IMO.

• 1 month later...

thats similar to what I do, no ssd though for me.

have 2 500 in raid 1 with a 500 dedicated for backups done nightly.

I have purposely nuked a site and tested recovering a video stream site (approx 100gb of data at the time, purposely uploaded some huge files for the test) and had it running in 20 or 30 minutes after breaking it.

its an added expense you won't benefit from until the one time you need it.....then its the best $$ you could have spent IMO.

I agree... :)

275 for that config is cheap, I would have to question the service or bandwidth quality at that low price personally. However those specs are good!

Lightening....I am so happy that I have moved my server to this host...

At $275 a month....

Jeez - I thought you guys were cheaper in the US....

Are you serious???

So send me the link in your country or area that gives exact features and requirements for less... :)
Let me know I will go ahead and see if you are right????
Thanks

Archived