Change IP.Board to reject spam registrations

bigPaws

While I think it's great that IPB has built-in spam controls, it only has the following options for possible spammers:

Proceed with account registration

Flag the account for admin review

Register account but mark as banned

One reason why the Stop-Forum-Spam plugin is so popular is that it completely declines the right for known spammers to register. I'd therefore like to suggest that IPS/IPB has this option in the Spam Prevention actions:

Proceed with account registration

Flag the account for admin review

Register account but mark as banned

Decline registration *new*

I think this would be a logical addition to the list of built-in actions.

Anyone else agree?

PS. I noticed some of the IPS staff on AdminExtra saying they wanted feedback. It seems to me that it would be nice to acknowledge ideas that are left here. More often than not users don't get a reply (in support or otherwise) from anyone at IPS. I feel it should be a policy to at least acknowledge those customers who have taken time to share their ideas.

While we would love to acknowledge every single feedback suggestion submitted, a quick look at just this forum reflects almost 11,000 topics. This isn't including any other products besides IP.Board. We simply do not have the time to respond to every single idea that is posted (many times suggestions are duplicates, such as this one, and our responses to the suggestion can be found in the other topics on the same subject), but I can assure you that every single idea is read and considered. :)

brandon is quite correct. While I unuderstand that it's frustrating among many that the staff don't reply, you can't expect them to. This is a large community and there isn't enough time in the day to respond to actual inquiries. My own community is moderately sized and even I've had trouble trying to keep up with everything that's posted. Considering that IPS is busy with the development on IPS products, you should give them a break on this.

Besides, spammer topics on here proliferate like rabbits. You can't stop a spammer from registering, it's impossible. Only thing you can do is put safeguards in place. What the OP is asking for is impossible for any developer of any system where it's possible to register for an account. No system can expect to be 100%, you can only hope to slow them down.

Also, don't wait and expect IPS to do your work for you. It's your responsibility to install and enable various anti-spam features. Sure, it may force you to actually work and install this stuff yourself, but IPS is not responsible if you fail to put anti-spam safeguards in place. There's IPS anti-spam, question and answer challenge, anti forum spam hook/plugin, recaptcha and dozens of other safeguards.

Plus, if you're concerned about spammers, then disable new registrations or choose "email and admin validation".

Archived