A new lightbox.

Makoto

This is a simple suggestion that I'm sure has been posted somewhere before.

IPB currently uses the old version of lokeshdhakar.com's lightbox script.

While it's not really bad, it's a bit dated. And while being a bit dated isn't necessarily bad, I believe there are still many more viable and easier to use alternatives out there. I'm sure this subject will bring many varied opinions, but I figured I'd present it despite.

Of course, I'm not going to create a thread just to say "your lightbox sucks, find a new one." (It doesn't really suck though)
My favorite, and what I personally believe to be the best lightbox script I've found so far is Highslide. The name I'm assuming is at least familiar with some IPS Dev's, since I noticed IPB also makes use of some version of Highcharts as well.

It's clean, fast, and very aesthetically appealing.

I just set this script up on my board today as a replacement to the native lightbox. This is a brief preview of what it can look like:

One thing I love about this script is how well it works for large images. The current lightbox script for attachments doesn't resize the image. While it's nice to be able to see the full thing without having to manually open it in a new tab, it can be overwhelming when you just want a simple preview. The gallery lightbox resizes the image, but sometimes (especially with gallery images) you may want to zoom in on these images to view them at their native size. Highslide has a compromize. By default, it keeps the image neatly resized so it just fits on your screen. Then it has a "1:1" button that zooms the image into its native resolution without any hassle. It simply allows you to zoom in only on the images you want.

I also considered posting a tutorial here on how to install it on your own board. I wanted to program a hook for it, but from what I can tell, that seems impossible, since there doesn't seem to be any way to override the attachments template with a simple hook. However, it's really not that difficult to set up despite. It was easier than I expected. Of course, the last time I attempted to simply upgrade the current lightbox script, I had no remote clue as to what I was doing and ended up just breaking everything.. if anyone here wants to request it, I'll try and write something up in my free time. Which I have a lot of. Or someone more competent than me can take a shot at it.

Anyways, feel free to post opinions here. Or if this suggestion has been posted several times over the last couple years and you're sick of hearing it, feel free to vent at me.

I used shadowbox before and liked it but was looking at highslide (I had used in other boards) also.
would like a tutorial, was going to try to see if I could do it myself like I did shadowbox but had not yet had a chance.
somewhat OT but would like to see flowplayer replaced with jwplayer too..

Actually, I think this script is used in the current gallery. It's the simple scaled down version without any navigation or "bloat," but I believe it's the same exact script.

I had a hunch when I first found this, but I'm surprised I didn't actually notice until now.

Wouldn't it be interesting if this was something already in the works.

I'll post a tutorial sometime later today. It's mostly just a simple upload and three copy & pastes.

Actually, I think this script is used in the current gallery. It's the simple scaled down version without any navigation or "bloat," but I believe it's the same exact script.

I had a hunch when I first found this, but I'm surprised I didn't actually notice until now.

Wouldn't it be interesting if this was something already in the works.

Look forward to it thanks.

I like this a lot. But I think when this was suggested in the past Rikki mentioned wanting to create their own lightbox for IPS instead using someone else. I'd be more interested to see what he can come up with first.

EDIT: Hmm I can't find the post..guess I made that up.

I like this a lot. But I think when this was suggested in the past Rikki mentioned wanting to create their own lightbox for IPS instead using someone else. I'd be more interested to see what he can come up with first.

EDIT: Hmm I can't find the post..guess I made that up.

What about just offering multiple lightboxes and letting the user pick which one they want to use?

Even better, make it where people can upload hooks for their own lightboxes somehow.

What about just offering multiple lightboxes and letting the user pick which one they want to use?

Even better, make it where people can upload hooks for their own lightboxes somehow.

IPS is against adding multiple settings. It wouldn't happen.

This looks a lot better than what we have now. I don't like how the next and prev buttons are hidden until you hover over them. I bet there's only a handful of my members who know where to find these buttons.

I agree, IPS will never have have multiple settings to let users pick their preferred Lightbox.

3DKiwi

I meant a setting for the administrator, not the community members.

I like being able to fine tune things like this, I guess my views are completely different from IPS' here.

By users I was referring to admins. IPS will never have multiple options even in the ACP for which Lightbox to use.

Thanks for the tutorial. If it's easy to do (and to restore back) I'll have a bash using it.

3DKiwi

Archived