Download: Stop Spammer Registration

Dylan Riggs

This hook is so good it leaves me dreaming of even one more feature.

Can it report spammers to stopforumspam.com?

And can it report those that we manually flag as spammers to stopforumspam.com?

I'm asking because everytime I find a spammer, I go report them, typing their username, IP address and email address. If that can be done automatically, it would be great, save much time and help strengthen the system.

Could that feature be added in a future release please?

That actually used to be a feature, until I removed it due to reported(by SFS) abuse of the feature.

Sorry.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to disable this hook this morning. It caused an issue in IPS.Downloads after the most recent upgrade. I was unable to submit new downloads, or rather I should say it was taking partial new uploads, and causing the page to error out.

Allan pulled the following error while determining the issue

PHP Warning: substr_count() [<a href='function.substr-count'>function.substr-count</a>]: Empty substring in /home/whtnght/public_html/vagboard/hooks/cstopspamreg_8ebc017bf53ff845460295a6bb6b3fea.php on line 23

No problem. Find the file in Hooks called cstopspamreg_bstats_(random hash).php and replace the contents with:

class cstopspamreg_bstats extends customForumBlocksBoardIndexHook
{
  public function boardIndexTemplate( $lastvisit="", $stats=array(), $cat_data=array(), $show_side_blocks=true, $side_blocks=array() )
  {
        if ( $this->settings['cssfs_countenable'] == 1 && in_array( $this->memberData['member_group_id'], explode(",",$this->settings['cssfs_countgroups'] ) ) )
        {
         $this->lang->words['total_members'] .= "<li class='clear'><span class='value'>".number_format((int)$this->settings['cssfs_blockcount'])."</span> ".$this->settings['cssfs_counttext']."</li>";
        }

return parent::boardIndexTemplate( $lastvisit, $stats, $cat_data, $show_side_blocks, $side_blocks );
  }
}

EDIT: Retarded editor keeps ruining this post.

that code was working fine in showing thousands separators. But now after upgrading to 4.3.2 the separators disappeared!

Any idea why please?

I had to disable this hook this morning. It caused an issue in IPS.Downloads after the most recent upgrade. I was unable to submit new downloads, or rather I should say it was taking partial new uploads, and causing the page to error out.

Allan pulled the following error while determining the issue

Interesting, is this the latest version as well? Thanks.

that code was working fine in showing thousands separators. But now after upgrading to 4.3.2 the separators disappeared!

Any idea why please?

Ah yes, IP.B caching reset your change. To permanently change it, you'll need to change the installation file that you downloaded and make the same change in the code, then re-install the hook. The code to alter like before is on line 241.

class cstopspamreg_bstats extends customForumBlocksBoardIndexHook
{
  public function boardIndexTemplate( $lastvisit="", $stats=array(), $cat_data=array(), $show_side_blocks=true, $side_blocks=array() )
  {
        if ( $this->settings['cssfs_countenable'] == 1 && in_array( $this->memberData['member_group_id'], explode(",",$this->settings['cssfs_countgroups'] ) ) )
        {
         $this->lang->words['total_members'] .= "<li class='clear'><span class='value'>".$this->lang->formatNumber((int)$this->settings['cssfs_blockcount'])."</span> ".$this->settings['cssfs_counttext']."</li>";
        }

return parent::boardIndexTemplate( $lastvisit, $stats, $cat_data, $show_side_blocks, $side_blocks );
  }
}

would support the selected language's localization in IPB.

sallam, on 09 Feb 2013 - 12:33, said:snapback.png

Ah yes, IP.B caching reset your change. To permanently change it, you'll need to change the installation file that you downloaded and make the same change in the code, then re-install the hook. The code to alter like before is on line 241.

I did as you said. Edited the installation file, uninstalled then reinstallaed. Now the spammers stats are not showing in board stats at all!

The hook is working, because I get email reports, but I need to show the stats. Don't know why they disappeared.

would support the selected language's localization in IPB.

Thanks Marcher!

I did as you said. Edited the installation file, uninstalled then reinstallaed. Now the spammers stats are not showing in board stats at all!

The hook is working, because I get email reports, but I need to show the stats. Don't know why they disappeared.

I've attached the modified version. I've tested it on my live community and it displays it correctly.

Hook_C33_StopSpammerReg1.3.3a.zip

• 3 weeks later...

I have a feature request for this extension: the ability to log blocked registrations by IP (and preferably username/email attempted as well)

This way I can take data from that and permanently blacklist them from the server so that they stop pounding the site trying to get in. Would be really helpful

Hello,

used your brilliat hook on IPB 3.3.4 with outstanding success: now uninstalled hook and upgraded to IPB 3.4.3.

Can I proceed with the reinstall of the hook on this new IPB version? If yes, have I to use the version 3.3 present in your hook download list (C33)?

Thanks in advance for help and keep your good work up!

Yes that is correct. The latest version will work fine.

I have a feature request for this extension: the ability to log blocked registrations by IP (and preferably username/email attempted as well)

This way I can take data from that and permanently blacklist them from the server so that they stop pounding the site trying to get in. Would be really helpful

Like log to file?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Just to let you know I will no longer be developing this file anymore(or any of my other files), it will be transferred to Dylan Rigs and he will continue the file support. This file will not be charged for as it cannot be.

Thanks for the past support you have given me over developing this anti-spam measurement.

• 4 months later...

I've become frustrated with this thing. While it works perfectly with the IPS default forum skin, whenever I install a hook, the SFS hook interferes with other hooks on other fourm skins and displays major errors having to do with the output file on my server. Has this been updated for 3.4.5? Because it's interfering with other fourm skins and hooks.

Okay, here's the deal. When I install other hooks, plugins and whatnot, I always get an error associated with the hooks that I'm using. Here's the latest error:

Fatal error

: Method scrollingMessage does not exist in cstopspamreg_bstats in

/*****/*****/*****/board/admin/sources/classes/output/publicOutput.php

on line

The problem is that this only happens when I try to load other forum skins. The error doesn't appear when I use the original default skin that comes with IPB. I believe the problem is with the cstopspamreg because when the error pops up in relation to other hooks and plugins, it's 'cstopspamreg_bstats' that the error keeps registering. I've tried searching the output.php file for cstopspamreg_bstats and it just doesn't appear in the file.

Okay, here's the deal. When I install other hooks, plugins and whatnot, I always get an error associated with the hooks that I'm using. Here's the latest error:

The problem is that this only happens when I try to load other forum skins. The error doesn't appear when I use the original default skin that comes with IPB. I believe the problem is with the cstopspamreg because when the error pops up in relation to other hooks and plugins, it's 'cstopspamreg_bstats' that the error keeps registering. I've tried searching the output.php file for cstopspamreg_bstats and it just doesn't appear in the file.

have to tried recaching your skins?

Yeah, that was the first thing I tried. I even tried using the cache management system in the ACP but it still gives me that error. I'm just wondering if maybe the stopforumspam plugin is just not placing the proper code within the output file. I don't know how that works but the best I can gather is that when I load the other skins, that the skins are looking for the cstopspamreg_bstats within that file. Since there is no such code in that file, I'm wondering if the SFS hook isnt supposed to write to that file that why the system would be looking in that file for mention of the installed hooks or plugins.

Obviously, something is going on, because a combination fo the hooks and plugins are searching that file for something that doesn't exist. It's just odd because it shoiuld be doing the same error messages with the default forum skin but it isn't.

Archived