Download: Stop Spammer Registration

Dylan Riggs

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any way of checking against a database of disposable email addresses and stopping people registering if its on that list? At the moment I check manually and add any disposable email addresses I find to the ban filter. I am hoping there is an easier automated way...

Ted.

I once found a system that did this with an API, unfortunatly the project was dead. If you see one around let me know, because I would like this also.

A really great hook, thanks! Just started being attack by spam bots and this hook make thing lot better ;)

BTW, maybe if you could for the next version of this hook (if there be any) to make a list of reports...
I mean, instead that it'll report the full details of the spammers to your email address, so it'll show you a detailed list of those spammers in the ACP.
And of course adding a button that will clean that list.
Just an idea. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this hook - it's a great help but I've run into an error message with it today when a new member was trying to register and getting an error.

They got all their details completed on the registration form and submitted it, then received this error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method hanEmail::setHtmlEmail() in /home/forumtablename/public_html/forums/hooks/cstopspamreg_65d4bb562406990a231ad7c6dbc7e5cf.php on line 99

Have changed the table name in there.

I've tried using their same details to set the same account up and I get this error too. I've manually added their account to get round it, but if anyone can help explain what I need to do to prevent this from occurring I'd be really grateful.

Many thanks.

Im getting this type of error since installing the hook the other day and it is very similar to the one reported in the above post. What is causing it because I have stopped over 100 spammers in the last 48 hours.

Strict Standards: Declaration of sfsLinkIp::buildMessage() should be compatible with that of hanEmail::buildMessage() in /home/XXXXXXXXXX/hooks/sfsLinkIp_a627ff0c8e2e6ce39d440f24e5806a25.php on line 39

I changed my account to the XXXXXXXXXX in that line of code for security reasons.

I am using version 3.3.4 of the forum software.

This error is occurring during submitting posts and sometimes with PM's as well. It doesnt happen always but at about 80% of the time. I need to get this fixed asap!!

post-287845-0-42288300-1348071122_thumb.

The above image shows a screenshot of the full extent of the error sent to me from one of my members.

Thanks
Ray

Im getting this type of error since installing the hook the other day and it is very similar to the one reported in the above post. What is causing it because I have stopped over 100 spammers in the last 48 hours.

Strict Standards: Declaration of sfsLinkIp::buildMessage() should be compatible with that of hanEmail::buildMessage() in /home/XXXXXXXXXX/hooks/sfsLinkIp_a627ff0c8e2e6ce39d440f24e5806a25.php on line 39

I changed my account to the XXXXXXXXXX in that line of code for security reasons.

I am using version 3.3.4 of the forum software.

This error is occurring during submitting posts and sometimes with PM's as well. It doesnt happen always but at about 80% of the time. I need to get this fixed asap!!

post-287845-0-42288300-1348071122_thumb.

The above image shows a screenshot of the full extent of the error sent to me from one of my members.

Thanks
Ray

if memory serves..the error "sfsLinkIp" is from a hook clash .. check your hooks

I know I had this issue, and resolved it .. it ended up being a hook, though I don't remember what the hook was..but I do remember it being out of date and not compatible (though I don't believe it was flagged as such) .. and I believe I remember it not even being associated with this application, but another one doing the same functionality .. so I would start there
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Special thanks to Cyren for helping me fix this problem

No problem, although you did most of the work :tongue:. To anyone that has a double-up issue for the statistic, disable and re-enable any other hooks that modify the board statistics... this should fix the display(I hope).

To other people who would like to know, yes there is a new version coming out soon and will continue to work with IP.Board 3.1 - 3.4. Support for the older boards is still going to be kept.

It might be nice to extend this hook to check when Guests submit Tickets in Nexus, spammers are hitting this avenue quite a lot too.

Thank-you for the suggestion.

Best addon/hook ever!

Cheers!

How can I register to get API code?

StopForumSpam does not require an API Key. If you mean Project Honey Pot, you will need to register, then request an API key. Once registered I believe you go to this page: http://projecthoneypot.com/httpbl_configure.php

Oh my God!! your hook is working wonder in my 3.3.4 forum. 11 spammers blocked in the first 40 minutes from installation!

My forum has been under a spam attack lately, and your hook will allow me to get my life back!

I can now allow new registrations without admin approval.

Thank you sooooooooooo! much!

Archived