Make pinned topics more obvious

TrixieTang

I think pinned topics need to be made more obvious again. Either the pinned topic separator that was in IPB before 3.0 should be brought back or pinned topics should have a different colored background from normal topics, the same way that SMF and vB4 display pinned topics.

People need to be able to easily tell which topics are pinned because pinned threads are important topics. And when the only way to tell pinned topics from normal topics is an extremely small and not very obvious green prefix, people aren't going to notice them right away and they'll blend in with normal topics and make things look more cluttered.

I already know that you can edit the separator back in. But this isn't something you should need to edit a template for, it's something that should be in the software by default and that was in fact in the software before it was removed for no apparent reason at all.

I already know that you can edit the separator back in. But this isn't something you should need to edit a template for, it's something that should be in the software by default and that was in fact in the software before it was removed for no apparent reason at all.

There indeed was a reason. The designer didn't feel a full separator was needed. They're already "pinned" at the top, so they're the first in the list and first you see, and a prefix (which you can define and of course restyle) is applied. A divider seemed superfluous.

I'm rather indifferent on this suggestion myself.

There's still a separator between announcements and topics despite the fact that announcements have a prefix. If the separator is so unnecessary then why is that one still there? Because it's important, you need to be able to easily tell announcements from normal topics. Same is just as true for pinned threads, in fact from experience I believe that more forums make use of pinned threads for important information than announcements, so it should be just as important to have a separator for pinned threads as it is to have a separator for announcements.

I agree as well, the pinned topics aren't emphasized enough. I actually think the 'Sticky:'-thing is more unneeded than the separator.

A separator and a slight (darker) color change of the background (like the way Unapproved topics are 'highlighted') would be my suggestion.

I agree as well, the pinned topics aren't emphasized enough. I actually think the 'Sticky:'-thing is more unneeded than the separator.

A separator and a slight (darker) color change of the background (like the way Unapproved topics are 'highlighted') would be my suggestion.

I like the idea of having a different color background. :thumbsup:

Maybe have an on/off option for it?

No on/off for a skin edit. >_< Geez. >_<

I, like Brandon, am indifferent to this. A simple skin isn't so bad. I'd really NOT like that another row color *or two or four* were added just to change pinned topics. :ermm:

The reasoning: pinned topics are just ordinary topics stuck to the top of the listing, why would they be divided? The reason announcements are is because they aren't topics, and need to be differentiated as such.

They should be divided because most people use pinned topics for rules, announcements, and other important threads that they want people to see, if the only way to tell them apart is a prefix that's extremely hard to see then people aren't as likely to notice those threads and are more likely to post things that they shouldn't or ask questions that could have easily been answered by reading one of those pinned topics that are currently so hard to notice.

More often than not pinned topics are more than as you say "just ordinary topics stuck to the top of the listing", so they shouldn't be grouped with normal topics. There really is no denying the fact that a lot of forums use pinned topics for announcements instead of using "announcements" for announcements, I mean if you want people to be able to reply to an announcement you have to use a pinned topic for that announcement because actual "announcements" can't be replied to.

Well then shouldn't the rules be announcements instead of Pinned topics?

I always see Pinned topics more of points of interest or something I would like to have more input on. Rules and things don't need responses (what are they going to say, "Don't spam... heh! That's an AWESOME RULE!"), so why not make them an Announcement? It's sort of the point of the system. If you don't use it then really your hindering yourself by not making the post more apparent because of your choice of display method.

I don't know if this is possible, and maybe this is a better suggestion, but an ability to make a post an announcement (as in "change to announcement") like rules and things? (Not that there aren't a million ways to make Forum specific rules apparent).

Well then shouldn't the rules be announcements instead of Pinned topics?

I always see Pinned topics more of points of interest or something I would like to have more input on. Rules and things don't need responses (what are they going to say, "Don't spam... heh! That's an AWESOME RULE!"), so why not make them an Announcement? It's sort of the point of the system. If you don't use it then really your hindering yourself by not making the post more apparent because of your choice of display method.

I don't know if this is possible, and maybe this is a better suggestion, but an ability to make a post an announcement (as in "change to announcement") like rules and things? (Not that there aren't a million ways to make Forum specific rules apparent).

Obviously rules and such don't need replies, but obviously there is a lot more important stuff that does. :rolleyes:

I think if the announcements had the ability to be replied upon everything would be solved. :)

I again say, perhaps a board-wide option to separate pinned topics (ie, a separator or something else to highlight the topics) would solve the issue. That way, those who don't want to use it won't, those who do will. But should affect all forums because it's something that should be all or nothing.

Actually there are situations where rule threads can be more useful if they can be replied to, for example if they're updated and a staff member bumps it so everyone knows it's been updated.

Also how many people actually complained about or removed the pinned separator in IPB 1.x and 2.x? I'm guessing it wasn't a lot, I've seen several forums on other software actually add this feature through template edits or mods. And look at most other forum software, some of them have actually been adding a way to tell pinned topics from normal threads yet IPB goes ahead and removes it.

Removing it was step backwards if you ask me.

I again say, perhaps a board-wide option to separate pinned topics (ie, a separator or something else to highlight the topics) would solve the issue. That way, those who don't want to use it won't, those who do will. But should affect all forums because it's something that should be all or nothing.

It would be simpler to add it back so those who don't want it just have to remove a little bit of code to remove it. It really doesn't need an option, and most people were clearly fine with having the separator since it was there for both IPB 1.x and 2.x without any complaints about it that I've ever seen.

It would be simpler to add it back so those who don't want it just have to remove a little bit of code to remove it. It really doesn't need an option, and most people were clearly fine with having the separator since it was there for both IPB 1.x and 2.x without any complaints about it that I've ever seen.

You could add code to separate it just like you expect others could remove code.

To have it as a simple board-wide option would make it the best of both worlds. If people want it, then they turn it on. Otherwise, it's off. Problem solved.

It's really not something that needs an option. And like I've been saying, it was in IPB 1.x and 2.x why should we now have to add a bit of code every time we upgrade to add something that used to be and should still be there by default? If it were added back then I'm sure few if any people would complain, and a lot of us want it added back.

I agree with Koto.. IPS this is something that the majority of any forum owner would agree with. The separator makes it easier to tell that there are important topics to be read first before the others. Sometimes users dont even realize they are pinned and instead think the area is dead due to no topics being above those threads. An on/off switch isn't a -bad- idea. It just seems pointless since nearly everyone would want it there.

It just seems pointless since nearly everyone would want it there.

I think that's slightly exaggerated to be honest. IPB3 has been out for 9 months and this is the first time it has been brought up, so I don't think the demand is that great.

To be honest, this is why we have a skinning system. We choose good defaults for the most part, have settings for things that need to be configurable, and the skinning system to allow people to make other changes they consider important. This, to me, seems like something that's best made as a skin edit for the people that would like it. I'm happy to write a guide if it would help :)

I think that's slightly exaggerated to be honest. IPB3 has been out for 9 months and this is the first time it has been brought up, so I don't think the demand is that great.

No it`s not:

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/306596-separate-pinned-topics/
http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/301483-how-to-seperate-pinned-topics-and-normal-topics/
http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/298486-better-separating-pinned-from-normal-topics/
http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/297518-divider-between-pinned-topics-and-regular-topics/

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/293055-separating-pinned-topics/
http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/289832-seperating-pinned-topics-in-v3/

I still think it'd be a good board-wide option (not per forum). So if someone has a board up that they feel it would be of use, they have it enabled. If not, they have it disabled. Someone might think/feel that it works better one way -vs- the other. Instead of having them edit the skin to add (or remove) it, it's just simple on or off. Again though, board wide, not per forum.

Archived