Make pinned topics more obvious

TrixieTang

There indeed was a reason. The designer didn't feel a full separator was needed. They're already "pinned" at the top, so they're the first in the list and first you see, and a prefix (which you can define and of course restyle) is applied. A divider seemed superfluous.

I'm rather indifferent on this suggestion myself.

I kind of agree. Because the "PINNED" "image" is not an image at all but rather just CSS, it's very easy to alter the font color, background color and size. If you really wanted to, you could make the "PINNED" text THIS BIG, if not even larger. I really don't see the need for a separator, as to my knowledge, very few people have difficulty deciphering which topics are pinned and which aren't.

I kind of agree. Because the "PINNED" "image" is not an image at all but rather just CSS, it's very easy to alter the font color, background color and size. If you really wanted to, you could make the "PINNED" text THIS BIG, if not even larger.

The same CSS as the Moved and Poll prefixes, meaning if you make the pinned prefix huge it also makes the Moved and Poll prefixes huge. It would be extremely ugly and annoying either way if you tried to make the prefix stand out too much. It's really not an alternative to a separator, it really isn't.

I really don't see the need for a separator, as to my knowledge, very few people have difficulty deciphering which topics are pinned and which aren't.

In 2.x I had absolutely no problem at all figuring out which topics were pinned, now I often find myself not even realizing that there are any pinned topics in a forum. And when I do realize it then they blend in with the other topics and it takes a while for me to figure out where the pinned topics end and the normal topics begin and it looks extremely cluttered because of the lack of any form of separator.

EDTT: Also what about when there's a poll right under the pinned topics, the poll will blend in with the pinned topics. That's yet another reason to have a separator.

EDTT: Also what about when there's a poll right under the pinned topics, the poll will blend in with the pinned topics. That's yet another reason to have a separator.

What if it's a pinned poll? Will that need a separator so that you know the difference between pinned and pinned/polled?

I think that's slightly exaggerated to be honest. IPB3 has been out for 9 months and this is the first time it has been brought up, so I don't think the demand is that great.

To be honest, this is why we have a skinning system. We choose good defaults for the most part, have settings for things that need to be configurable, and the skinning system to allow people to make other changes they consider important. This, to me, seems like something that's best made as a skin edit for the people that would like it. I'm happy to write a guide if it would help :)

Exaggerated or not, it's more than likely that most of the admins would want this, and the ones that don't want it -probably don't care either way. For those that due care... THEN, could use a guide to remove it. [Since you offer to make a guide :)] considering they are the minority in this case. It would be more supportive to your customers to go with the majority in this situation. Again... it doesn't bother me to edit it myself, but I'm just saying it's a nice default feature. :thumbsup:

No it`s not:

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/306596-separate-pinned-topics/

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/301483-how-to-seperate-pinned-topics-and-normal-topics/

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/298486-better-separating-pinned-from-normal-topics/

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/297518-divider-between-pinned-topics-and-regular-topics/

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/293055-separating-pinned-topics/

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/289832-seperating-pinned-topics-in-v3/

Lol, nice one. :thumbsup:

I still think it'd be a good board-wide option (not per forum). So if someone has a board up that they feel it would be of use, they have it enabled. If not, they have it disabled. Someone might think/feel that it works better one way -vs- the other. Instead of having them edit the skin to add (or remove) it, it's just simple on or off. Again though, board wide, not per forum.

Of course, board wide is really the only way to go about this.. well, the only way that makes logical sense, if it wasn't board wide it would really confuse the members. Probably causing some members to think the area is dead as I stated in an above post.

What if it's a pinned poll? Will that need a separator so that you know the difference between pinned and pinned/polled?

These are two very different things IMO. An important topic is the reason it needs to be separated and put in front of the user first before all else. A poll is not meant to make the user read the the topic-- and so, not meant to be separated from the rest of the threads. If a poll blends in with pinned topics, that is not an issue. It is, after all, just there in case the user is interested in polls. Not a -must read- situation.

These are two very different things IMO. An important topic is the reason it needs to be separated and put in front of the user first before all else. A poll is not meant to make the user read the the topic-- and so, not meant to be separated from the rest of the threads. If a poll blends in with pinned topics, that is not an issue. It is, after all, just there in case the user is interested in polls. Not a -must read- situation.

I was kidding about that.

They should be divided because most people use pinned topics for rules, announcements, and other important threads that they want people to see, if the only way to tell them apart is a prefix that's extremely hard to see then people aren't as likely to notice those threads and are more likely to post things that they shouldn't or ask questions that could have easily been answered by reading one of those pinned topics that are currently so hard to notice.

More often than not pinned topics are more than as you say "just ordinary topics stuck to the top of the listing", so they shouldn't be grouped with normal topics. There really is no denying the fact that a lot of forums use pinned topics for announcements instead of using "announcements" for announcements, I mean if you want people to be able to reply to an announcement you have to use a pinned topic for that announcement because actual "announcements" can't be replied to.

I have to agree it should be a standard feature. I'm surprised it was removed.

• 1 month later...

You can vote for the prefix mod to make in the "Mod week":

Here: +Reputation to this post:

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/310650-free-mod-week/page__st__20__p__1952823#entry1952823

Only til today!!

That has nothing to do with this topic at all.

Archived