IPB 3.1.0

Maxxius

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

I'm interested in renewing my licence, I've decided to renew it once IPB 3.1.0 comes out. When does that happen? At least approximately.

sounds positive - what will 3.1.0 offer, do you have any information on new features updates?

Hello,

I'm interested in renewing my licence, I've decided to renew it once IPB 3.1.0 comes out. When does that happen? At least approximately.

Sounds positive.. but why wold you wait for 3.1.0 to be released? are you aware of what 3.1.0 will offer over the current release?

Sounds positive.. but why wold you wait for 3.1.0 to be released? are you aware of what 3.1.0 will offer over the current release?

Yes it's going to offer new features and many bug fixes over 3.0.5, that you will instantly renew/purchase the license. But back to your topic, IPS always post updates in their company blogs. You might want to check this out.

http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=1174

Hello,

Approximately sometime after v3.0.5 and before v3.1.1.

As RobertMidd mentioned though, the official answer has been and always will be, "When It's Ready™"

The problem with announcing planned release dates is that if we don't make them, we end up with hundreds of angry customers insisting that we release it, even if it's not in a state that's acceptable for release. ;)

That said, "When it's ready" is as accurate of a date as we can give you. It might be ready in a month, but it might take significantly longer. We just don't know yet.

Wolfie, I admire your sense of humour, but thats not what I'm willing to learn here.

As most +Active Customers will tell you, IPS doesn't give release dates. I wish they did because then I could have an idea of when the next version MIGHT be released, or at least when there should be a better idea of an actual release. However, as BacTalan said, whenever they have given an estimated date (not a guaranteed date!) then they encounter problems with people expecting a release. Apparently, some people can't tell the difference between a goal and a guarantee. They say that perception is reality, so go figure that people hear(read) what they want instead of what is actually said.

That said, the "When It's Ready

As most [color="#FF0000"]+[/color]Active Customers will tell you, IPS doesn't give release dates. I wish they did because then I could have an idea of when the next version MIGHT be released, or at least when there should be a better idea of an actual release. However, as BacTalan said, whenever they have given an estimated date (not a guaranteed date!) then they encounter problems with people expecting a release. Apparently, some people can't tell the difference between a goal and a guarantee. They say that perception is reality, so go figure that people hear(read) what they want instead of what is actually said.

That said, the "When It's Ready

The problem with announcing planned release dates is that if we don't make them, we end up with hundreds of angry customers insisting that we release it, even if it's not in a state that's acceptable for release. ;)

That said, "When it's ready" is as accurate of a date as we can give you. It might be ready in a month, but it might take significantly longer. We just don't know yet.

I think the people are more annoyed when they say "when it is ready" than as an approximate date when they say they can not fulfill. They look more Vbulletin or other developers. There is not who says, "when it is ready", that exists only here at IPS.

I think the people are more annoyed when they say "when it is ready" than as an approximate date when they say they can not fulfill. They look more Vbulletin or other developers. There is not who says, "when it is ready", that exists only here at IPS.

I disagree. I think most people are satisfied knowing we try to put out a quality product when we think it is ready to be released, rather than trying to get a product out the door on a predetermined release date.

Guys :)

We, like most software companies, do not give release dates mid-way through development.
We are however very open about the development process and you can see the progress of 3.1 on the company blog.

We're at the stage now where development is going to be wrapping up very soon. We'll then have to go through QA and betas. How long that takes can vary dramatically from our expectations - any guesses we make about the release date is going to be no more than a guess because of this. And we don't want to make promises we're unable to keep.

I think to compare us to Blizzard is unfair. 3.1 is completely on schedule - and we're posting blog entries to let you know what's going on every step of the way. We will also of course have public betas, like we always do.

Well since they technically aren't lying to us by telling us, "When it's ready" they are making sure to keep themselves in good standing with us, as customers.

I know, even though I <333 IPS with all my heart *and have been told that it probably loves me back some time ago*, that if they said, "We'll be done in June" I would expect it by June 30th and no later. Therefore if there were problems that made them have to postpone it another month, two?, I would be pretty upset because I expected it in June. At least with, as it's been explained multiple times before, the "When it's ready" response I am eagerly waiting the next release but I do not get my hopes up over a predetermined date that may not be able to be reached.

Okay then I hope I will not p*ss anyone off and I'll change the question a bit.

Is there a slight chance that IPB 3.1.0 will be released in next 1,5 months? Simply yes or no :)

I'm not asking when so there should be no fuss :)

Okay then I hope I will not p*ss anyone off and I'll change the question a bit.

Is there a slight chance that IPB 3.1.0 will be released in next 1,5 months? Simply yes or no :)

I'm not asking when so there should be no fuss :)

Keep in mind that just about anything is possible.

v3.1 Beta 1 could show up this week, with only a few bugs reported and fixed, with Beta 2 showing up at the end of the month and if that seems to be going well, Final could rear it's beautiful self another two weeks later.

It's not probable, but it's possible. If you know the difference between possibility and probability, then you understand exactly what I'm saying.

I was doing it for points, but rather to provide backup to the answer he had given.

I should really re-read what I am saying before I submit. I meant to say "wasn't", not "was".

Archived