IPB 3.1.0

Maxxius

Like most of the members here I have downloaded uncountable software. The thing I never see is release dates for products that a company is working on, it just happens that they are cool enough to let us know about the upcoming improvements. It helps keep our interest and gives us something to look forward to but the caution in all of it is don't rush the improvements. IPB 3 is already a complete forum, a very complete forum software. The need for the next gadget will not improve our forums but I sure don't hate them, I like new functionality just like the next customer. IPB 3.1 has some very nice improvements coming and is quickly evolving but at some point we have to be happy with the work in progress for the next version. That is just my $0.02

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like most of the members here I have downloaded uncountable software. The thing I never see is release dates for products that a company is working on, it just happens that they are cool enough to let us know about the upcoming improvements. It helps keep our interest and gives us something to look forward to but the caution in all of it is don't rush the improvements. IPB 3 is already a complete forum, a very complete forum software. The need for the next gadget will not improve our forums but I sure don't hate them, I like new functionality just like the next customer. IPB 3.1 has some very nice improvements coming and is quickly evolving but at some point we have to be happy with the work in progress for the next version. That is just my $0.02

Very very well said. +1 from me.

Historically, what has been the length of time this forum runs new software, before it is released?

I've been assuming sometime in the next few months this forum would say 3.1._ on the bottom, and it would be at least a few weeks after that before it was released.

Historically, what has been the length of time this forum runs new software, before it is released?

I've been assuming sometime in the next few months this forum would say 3.1._ on the bottom, and it would be at least a few weeks after that before it was released.

That will be the process, yes. We're currently doing some Beta testing of IP.Board 3.1, but there are still bug fixes and such that need done with it first. When we have the features we want in it, and the bugs are all fixed, we'll try it out on this site. There will undoubtedly be a few additional things the community catches at that point that we'll need to address, but assuming nothing major crops up we should be able to officially release 3.1.0 shortly after that.

It's really hard to give any estimates about how long this process will take from now until folks can download 3.1, because we simply don't know what's going to be found that we'll need to address between now and then, and how long fixing it will take.

Does it matter? It's people outside of IPS doing the testing, so personally I'd consider that beta.

The below is why I ask, because I know that we sometimes don't get to toy with Alphas, but thought that we'd be able to play with the Betas before a final release.

We're at the stage now where development is going to be wrapping up very soon. We'll then have to go through QA and betas. How long that takes can vary dramatically from our expectations - any guesses we make about the release date is going to be no more than a guess because of this. And we don't want to make promises we're unable to keep.

I think to compare us to Blizzard is unfair. 3.1 is completely on schedule - and we're posting blog entries to let you know what's going on every step of the way. We will also of course have public betas, like we always do.

That will be the process, yes. We're currently doing some Beta testing of IP.Board 3.1, but there are still bug fixes and such that need done with it first. When we have the features we want in it, and the bugs are all fixed, we'll try it out on this site. There will undoubtedly be a few additional things the community catches at that point that we'll need to address, but assuming nothing major crops up we should be able to officially release 3.1.0 shortly after that.

There are just different stages of beta testing, it's all semantics, though. I've heard of places that give their software out for testing and call that alpha testing. To me, anyone outside of your area testing something is beta testing. Right now we have some private beta testing going on with some non-IPS individuals, then at some point there will be public beta testing. It's the way it's been done for a while now.

Personally I don't see why it has to be one or the other - a release date or no release date.

Reports on progress (not just feature additions) are always welcome, bit like this:

We're at the stage now where development is going to be wrapping up very soon. We'll then have to go through QA and betas. How long that takes can vary dramatically from our expectations - any guesses we make about the release date is going to be no more than a guess because of this. And we don't want to make promises we're unable to keep.

Please post more like that - it gives us an idea to make educated guesses at least.

Ideally we'd have something that's more in between a release date and the above, but it's still MUCH better than nothing at all :)

There are just different stages of beta testing, it's all semantics, though. I've heard of places that give their software out for testing and call that alpha testing. To me, anyone outside of your area testing something is beta testing. Right now we have some private beta testing going on with some non-IPS individuals, then at some point there will be public beta testing. It's the way it's been done for a while now.

It just gets confusing when one person says it meaning it one way then someone says it meaning it a different way. I wasn't trying to put you on the spot or anything. I thought perhaps you meant Alpha but accidentally said Beta. Also, if we +AC's weren't going to get to play with the Betas (or at least not the first of them), then that would have been nice to know. I'm sure you can understand the confusion from someone that's not in the know.

It just gets confusing when one person says it meaning it one way then someone says it meaning it a different way. I wasn't trying to put you on the spot or anything. I thought perhaps you meant Alpha but accidentally said Beta. Also, if we [color="#FF0000"]+[/color]AC's weren't going to get to play with the Betas (or at least not the first of them), then that would have been nice to know. I'm sure you can understand the confusion from someone that's not in the know.

Just wait until it shows up Wolfie and stop trying to find things out.

I say alpha because there is still development going on and it's not public. Michael says beta because it's external - we're talking about the same thing though.

Don't worry Wolfie, there will be a public beta like always :)

In my mind, there is no difference between "alpha" and "beta". The only difference between the terms is what you put into it. ;)

Similar to Michael's interpretation, I use alpha up until the point we invite people outside of IPS to look at the software, and then I call it beta. It's irrelevant though, as the terminology used won't change how long it takes to release one bit. We could call it "puppy dog version" and it's still going to take the same amount of time to finish until we are comfortable with the release.

okay anyway I got one more question not regarding the ip 310 release date.

I came to like CleanCut skin, a lot, but it seems that updating and fixing of that skin ceased. I remember reporting numerous bugs as well as other member to the tracker - but there are no replies from staff, bugs are unfilled, unfixed. Why did you abandon it. I thought when you chose that skin to become a default skin you made a commitment to keep the skin up-to-date. and it does not look like its up to date...

We could call it "puppy dog version" and it's still going to take the same amount of time to finish until we are comfortable with the release.

Hmmmmm.....

Wolfpup (or Wp for short, replacement for Alpha)
Dawg (instead of Beta)
and
Alpha Dog (AD, replacement for R.C.'s)

I rather like that idea.

Archived