IPB 3.X - Old PM System

MG501

I would believe the forward option was replaced with the option of adding users into the conversation.

as you could have multiple users talking in 1 pm now

or if its a matter of showing the Admin.

they could come in and see everything said and decide what needs done.

Global setting for the old or new, or could a group setting be managed? -- But with the group(s) that don't get the new system they can't be added to a convo using the new system, only the member's whose name is "added"?

Besides not being able to forward individual messages (which is something we could look at) - what is it that your users don't like? It can essentially be used the same, just replies are on the same screen as the original message, which surely can only be easier for users?

The main concern is all their old PMs are now locked, they can not reply/forward their old PMs.

I know they can copy and past them in to new ones, or maybe add the user to the conversations.

Maybe a hook could be created to add a forward button?

• Management

There's no need to forward a copy anymore, you can just invite them into the conversation. Is there a legitimate need to forward a copy? I ask without sarcasm. If there's a genuine need then we can consider adding it.

I do agree that being able to forward an individual message would be nice. You may not want to include someone in an entire conversation, but perhaps start a tangent conversation based on a single message. Also, I would very much like the ability to re-open a conversation that has been closed (because the other user deleted it) as well as being able to forward a message from a "closed" conversation. These abilities would make the conversation system a bit more flexible and user-friendly than it is now.

Thanks,

..Al

I do love the new system as do our members. However, I do agree that the forward option would be really nice to have. Sometimes you want input from someone without inviting them to the conversation and it would be great to be able to forward as opposed to having to cut and paste into a new PM.

We have a few users that sell good that keep our hobby going. It would be great if they could forward just one post to either one of their helpers or to another costumer.

Other wise they get more information then they need, and would involve people in others orders/business.

I personally like the conversation-based private threads much better than simply individual PMs. Here are two improvements I'd love to see:

1) An "advanced" search page. Yes, you can search now (and that is a godsend compared to before), but I'd really like to be able to search the title (versus post text), users included in the conversation, and for messages with attachments. A date range would be helpful also (I have PMs on my forum going back to 2002).

2) When viewing a list of conversations, the ability to sort on the various columns would make finding conversations easier. Sorting on the Starter, Topic, To, and date of Last Message would be helpful. And clicking again on the column to reverse the sort, icing on the cake. I'd actually like to see this in other places on the forum as well, but starting here would be nice. Oddly, you can sort on the "To" column now, but none of the others. Hmmmm, that doesn't actually seem to work.

..Al

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Mark' date='28 August 2009 - 08:21 AM' timestamp='1251447708' post='1849685']
Besides not being able to forward individual messages (which is something we could look at) -

Me and my users will be more then happy if you can add that in 3.0.5. We all used that a lot in phpbb3. I never used IPB 2.x so i have no idea but in phpbb3 their was one option which has to be set in ACP. If receivers PM box is full it will auto delete their oldest message to make room for one new message.

If you can add that in IPB I think it will be awesome.

Thanks.

[quote name='iBotPeaches' date='04 November 2009 - 05:41 PM' timestamp='1257370915' post='1875641']
I've had "bad" PMs sent to other members, that someone wants to bring to my attention. Before, they could just forward it to me. Now they have to invite me to it, which just flat out shows I'm in their PM and its no longer "private"

It that case they should use the "report button".

• 3 weeks later...

Archived